Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth vs. Melbourne and additional Perth Q

Perth vs. Melbourne and additional Perth Q

Old Aug 3rd 2008, 3:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute
Default Perth vs. Melbourne and additional Perth Q

Hello there,

I'm a newbie and wanted to introduce myself and get some insight from all you wise folks here...

We received our skilled independent 175 visa last month. We're a family of four, my husband--electrician, myself--currently a stay at home mom and I have three university degrees including a Master's in Anthropology that I hope to make better use of once our youngest is ready for school, and two little kidlets aged 3.5 years and 3 months. We live in Alberta, Canada...my sister-in-law and her husband live in Perth (they've been there 12 years), so we've made Perth our first choice as a place to settle, even though I've yet to go there. We're validating our visa this October and the plan is to sell our house next spring and do the move after that...we should have enough from the sale of our house that we only need a small-ish mortgage once to get to Oz (well, provided we are reasonable with our expectations...).

My husband did a rekkie down to Perth this past Feb and said he loved it and would move in a minute. But recently we've also discussed that maybe we should check out one other city by way of comparison to help us decide and we both like the idea of Melbourne. So questions...

1) I realize there is more likelihood of work in his field in Perth...but is there work for high voltage, industrial electricians around Melbourne? Is it worth it for us to even consider Melbourne or should we just stick with Perth?

2) Is there a Victoria equivalent for REIWA online? I'm trying to research houses, neighborhoods etc. and was hoping to find a similar site.

3) Any opinions re: the Perth vs. Melbourne question and our situation...we like the outdoors, have two small kids, I think I'd like the beach (hey, I'm currently 1200km from the ocean, so I'm guessing)...I'm looking forward to getting away from the really cold and snowy winters for a while. This past winter, we had snow here from October until the end of April.

General Perth questions...

1) We're looking at neighborhoods SOR. Hubby hopes to be working in the industrial area on the south side (Kwinana, is it?). So, we were thinking either the Atwell, Success, Beeliar area or further south around Baldivis and Rockingham. Any opinions?

2) What are the best neighborhoods of the aforementioned if we plan on only having one car for a while. Are some of these neighborhoods better for young families (i.e., parks and shopping close by)?

3) What about cycling in Perth? Are there lots of paths? I'd imagine a place that doesn't get 6 months a year of snow like we do must be paradise for cyclists...

Thanks in advance...
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 4:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Perth vs. Melbourne and additional Perth Q

Originally Posted by Japonica
Hello there,

I'm a newbie and wanted to introduce myself and get some insight from all you wise folks here...

We received our skilled independent 175 visa last month. We're a family of four, my husband--electrician, myself--currently a stay at home mom and I have three university degrees including a Master's in Anthropology that I hope to make better use of once our youngest is ready for school, and two little kidlets aged 3.5 years and 3 months. We live in Alberta, Canada...my sister-in-law and her husband live in Perth (they've been there 12 years), so we've made Perth our first choice as a place to settle, even though I've yet to go there. We're validating our visa this October and the plan is to sell our house next spring and do the move after that...we should have enough from the sale of our house that we only need a small-ish mortgage once to get to Oz (well, provided we are reasonable with our expectations...).

My husband did a rekkie down to Perth this past Feb and said he loved it and would move in a minute. But recently we've also discussed that maybe we should check out one other city by way of comparison to help us decide and we both like the idea of Melbourne. So questions...

1) I realize there is more likelihood of work in his field in Perth...but is there work for high voltage, industrial electricians around Melbourne? Is it worth it for us to even consider Melbourne or should we just stick with Perth?

Melbourne is the main Industrial city in Oz

2) Is there a Victoria equivalent for REIWA online? I'm trying to research houses, neighborhoods etc. and was hoping to find a similar site.

http://www.domain.com.au

3) Any opinions re: the Perth vs. Melbourne question and our situation...we like the outdoors, have two small kids, I think I'd like the beach (hey, I'm currently 1200km from the ocean, so I'm guessing)...I'm looking forward to getting away from the really cold and snowy winters for a while. This past winter, we had snow here from October until the end of April.

There is as much difference within each city as there is between them
Freezing inland to temperate on the coast
Port Melbourne in summer may be only 24C but Sunbury on the northern
side can be 35C , same applies west to east in Perth.
Once you acclimatise it will feel freezing when you know back "home" you
would think its a mild winters day.

General Perth questions...

1) We're looking at neighborhoods SOR. Hubby hopes to be working in the industrial area on the south side (Kwinana, is it?). So, we were thinking either the Atwell, Success, Beeliar area or further south around Baldivis and Rockingham. Any opinions?

All these areas are good for working in Kwinana but if he has work on the
west side- Kwinana Beach to Henderson the coastal highway would be
the preferred approach. That would favour Rockingham over Baldivis.

2) What are the best neighborhoods of the aforementioned if we plan on only having one car for a while. Are some of these neighborhoods better for young families (i.e., parks and shopping close by)?

This is best left till you have a chance to actually see where you want to live
all areas are probably "good" with the odd bad street. As a rule of thumb the
closer to the sea the more expensive BUT not north towards Kwanina
(not a desired area-too industrial) and Baldivis (the eastern most suburb of
Rockingham city) is more expensive than some coastal areas !

3) What about cycling in Perth? Are there lots of paths? I'd imagine a place that doesn't get 6 months a year of snow like we do must be paradise for cyclists...

Thanks in advance...
Cycle paths go all the way from Baldivis to Perth about 40kms alongside the
Kwinana Freeway. There also allowed on footpaths where designated in
Rockingham City (Rockingham,Waikiki,Shoalwater,Rockingham East,Safety Bay
Cooloongup,Warnbro,Port Kennedy,Baldivis,Secret Harbour)
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth vs. Melbourne and additional Perth Q

Thanks so much for the info...you've been very helpful! I'll be back with more Q no doubt...