Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth vs Melbourne

Perth vs Melbourne

Old Nov 12th 2003, 3:32 am
Just Joined

ziggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Perth vs Melbourne

I accidentally stumbled across this site, while looking for info on moving to Scotland from Perth (not for myself, for a family member), and it all makes for very interesting reading!

I am originally from Perth, but have been living in Melbourne for the last 2 years, and I have now decided that its time to move back to Perth again! I thought I would share a few things with you, but I am not sure how relevant it will be, seeing as though I have lived my whole 25 years in Oz.

My opinion (and its only based on living in 2 states) is that if you are after a more relaxed, take it easy kind of recreational outdoorsy lifestyle, then move to Perth. I will be the first to admit that I thought of Perth as an isolated, backwards, non exciting place for the 20 something years that I lived there, but it really isn’t all that bad! The beaches are the best (white sand and clear, blue water), the weather is more varied than Melbourne (which means there is a distinct climate change between summer and winter), the pubs have real beer gardens, the traffic is not as busy, and the people are friendlier, it’s a cheaper place to rent or buy a home, the air is cleaner , water tastes nicer and there is more wide open space. Downsides, would be the extreme heat that summer sees (which I miss!), the flies (hate them!), the clothes shopping, there is a bit of a lack of decent pubs/clubs/bars compared to Melbourne (but there are a few good ones in Perth), and it can be a bit of a drive to get anywhere.

Melbourne does have it good points too. The shopping is a lot better, more people, more excitement, better nightlife, salaries would be slightly higher (but that would be to counteract the higher cost of living), and there some lovely leafy older style suburbs around with older Victorian era homes that Perth doesn’t have, both girls and guys are also more fashion conscious in Melbourne, and I would miss that, Perth just isn’t the same in the fashion stakes. Downsides though are the terrible beaches, snobby people, exorbitant rental and purchase prices of homes, and its always busy in city areas and the outskirts (I am sick of hearing traffic and driving around those bl**dy trams!).

Sure there are the downfalls of living in every city, such as the “poorer areas�, drugs, crime etc. but, on a whole in my opinion, I prefer Perth, I really miss the sunshine and beaches!

One of the main reasons for me wanting to move back to Perth is that I could never afford to buy a house on my own salary in Melbourne. For something near the city (Prahran or somewhere like that) you would be looking at a small fortune. But, for the same money in Perth, also in a good location near the city you would be able to buy something soooo much better!

Anyway that’s just my opinion!
Old Nov 12th 2003, 4:02 am
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome to the site Ziggy, Is it your experience of Melbourne that has made you look at Perth differently or is your change of heart based on some other thoughts and/or experiences.
Old Nov 12th 2003, 4:27 am
Just Joined

Hi Jirrupin,

I would say that living over here in Melbourne has definitely made me realise that Perth has a better quality of life compared to here.

I moved to Melbourne originally to have a change of lifestyle, thinking that there would be more excitement, more employment opportunities, and more of everything in Melbourne, and it is all true, it is all there, bigger and better in Melbourne!

I found that living in Perth, the entertainment, shopping etc was not the best. I used to hate having to drive up the freeway everyday, and also having to drive miles and miles to get to places. But, I now realise that even though there were all the bad aspects that I hated (and probably will hate forever), Melbourne isn’t all its cracked up to be.

I haven’t had an overwhelmingly bad experience in Melbourne, it has been great! But, I suppose I miss all of the other things I mentioned above, and feel its time for me to go back. But not before I head off to Europe next week! So who knows, I might decide that I want to emigrate to London instead!!
Old Nov 12th 2003, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

booboo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ziggy played Guitar!!!!

Is this because you admire the great D.B

booboo
who deffo admires the great D.B.

Old Nov 12th 2003, 9:24 pm
Just Joined

Actually hes not too bad. He is coming to town shortly for a concert too!
Old Nov 12th 2003, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really nice

Ziggy,

Really liked Perth when on holiday there. Drove up the west coast as far as Exmouth. What's Perth like for IT jobs or are they just after builders and hairdressers?
Old Nov 12th 2003, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by ziggy
Hi Jirrupin,

I would say that living over here in Melbourne has definitely made me realise that Perth has a better quality of life compared to here.

I moved to Melbourne originally to have a change of lifestyle, thinking that there would be more excitement, more employment opportunities, and more of everything in Melbourne, and it is all true, it is all there, bigger and better in Melbourne!

I found that living in Perth, the entertainment, shopping etc was not the best. I used to hate having to drive up the freeway everyday, and also having to drive miles and miles to get to places. But, I now realise that even though there were all the bad aspects that I hated (and probably will hate forever), Melbourne isn’t all its cracked up to be.

I haven’t had an overwhelmingly bad experience in Melbourne, it has been great! But, I suppose I miss all of the other things I mentioned above, and feel its time for me to go back. But not before I head off to Europe next week! So who knows, I might decide that I want to emigrate to London instead!!
Ziggy

When you get to London your in for a big shock mate!!!

If you think Melbourne is busy, expensive, weather not brilliant, you definitely won't be staying in London.

When we visited Perth the locals told us we had better get the train into the centre as the traffic was so busy. Ha,Ha.

I would be interested in knowing if anyone from Perth has driven through central London without crapping them selves. LOL

We have decided on Melbourne as it seems to have more of everything and more variety. Sure there are cheaper places to live but lets face it you get what you payed for.... unless you go to London

Cheers Nick (Booboo's Hubby).
Old Nov 12th 2003, 10:27 pm
Just Joined

Not sure about the IT jobs, I haven’t really worked in that industry. More of the bigger companies tend to have their head offices in Sydney and Melbourne, but, I know people that have worked in IT in Perth and I am sure that there is a call for people of all types of backgrounds and work experience history everywhere. If you haven’t already, check out some of the job hunting websites (ie: something like www.seek.com.au or monster.com.au)

I know that London is heaps more busier and expensive than probably anywhere in Australia! But I am only going for a holiday over to that side of the world, and I have rellies all through Europe to stay with, so that does away with accommodation costs!

I used to think that driving through Perth city was hair raising enough, but now that I have been driving around Melbourne for the last two years, I have gotten used to it all, and now Perth is such a breeze!

Don’t get me wrong, Melbourne is great! But I really miss my lovely Perth weather and the beaches too!!
Old Nov 13th 2003, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

yeah, the beaches and weather in Perth is beautiful. My brother lives in Perth. I wouldnt mind living there at all. I think its a fab place.... The shops in Perth city were very good and I love that eating place (indoors) where they have all the different types of food to choose from. Unfortunatley my hubby doesnt like Perth....

booboo
Old Sep 28th 2004, 9:32 am
Australia since 09/2001

Location: Chichester > Wellington 04/00 > Melbourne 09/01 > Perth 12/06
natmcg is just really nicenatmcg is just really nicenatmcg is just really nicenatmcg is just really nicenatmcg is just really nicenatmcg is just really nicenatmcg is just really nicenatmcg is just really nice
Default Re: Perth vs Melbourne

Hi - hopefully I'm not too late to join this thread and it's not dated back to 2003 or something.

I'm in Melbourne (Aussie/Brit brought up in England) - been here for 3 years, 18 months in NZ before that. I have family in Perth (don't know them but would like to of course) - Mum was born there etc. (though she lives in England now). Not liking Melbourne - it's getting more and more of a rat race and besides I came to Australia for sunshine and beaches and I'm not really getting either here :-(

I found the Melbourne Vs Perth thing very interesting to read. I have this vision that Perth is just stunning - quiet, remote but the most wonderful place to live - and very much more 'English' than Melbourne, and considerably more friendly. I'm wondering what the reality is though. And also the bugs..more redbacks in Perth apparently - I'm still yet to find one here in Melbourne and I've looked _everywhere_! Oh I did see one in Melbourne Zoo if that counts.

Anyway, more additions to this thread very welcome. I'm off to Perth for 2 weeks from October 20th and hoping to hook up with some expats over there. In the meantime, I'm also keen to meet up with some expats here in Melbourne because I've only met the one (and one incoming). We're in Mount Waverley for reference.

Cheers,
Nat McG
Old Sep 29th 2004, 10:48 pm
Badge

I´m with booboo. Coming from London, there is NO city in Australia that comes anywhere near it for noise, stress or feeling of clutter or dirt.

Even Sydney I find sleepy - the actual CBD is small. London doesn´t have a cbd, just several all spaced out over miles..city, oxford st, etc etc. Same goes for Melbourne. I could be up in the CBD once a week, find a place to park in both S and M, in London I´d avoid the entire CBD like the plague, drove it once in 7 years...Of course the burbs in M and S are huge - they sprawl...but thats because the plot sizes are bigger. What is it, 7.5+m in London, 4m in Sydney, 3m in Melbourne in areas moreorless the same size??

BM

Old Sep 29th 2004, 11:04 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Badge
I´m with booboo. Coming from London, there is NO city in Australia that comes anywhere near it for noise, stress or feeling of clutter or dirt.

Even Sydney I find sleepy - the actual CBD is small. London doesn´t have a cbd, just several all spaced out over miles..city, oxford st, etc etc. Same goes for Melbourne. I could be up in the CBD once a week, find a place to park in both S and M, in London I´d avoid the entire CBD like the plague, drove it once in 7 years...Of course the burbs in M and S are huge - they sprawl...but thats because the plot sizes are bigger. What is it, 7.5+m in London, 4m in Sydney, 3m in Melbourne in areas moreorless the same size??

BM
I lived in London for 20 years. Never again......

My family come from an Irish farming background, and holidays on the farm in Ireland as a child meant that as soon as I was old enough, I left London forever and now live in an idyllic picture postcard village in the Kentish downs. I will be sad to leave it....

I liked Melb'n when I was there. I'm not really sure why....just the craic there I suppose was better. Can't compare it to Perth, because I've never been there. However, I keep reading good things about the place and the west coast in general. I really ought to try and visit before making my mind up about where to live in Aus.
Old Mar 19th 2005, 4:43 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=ziggy]

My opinion (and its only based on living in 2 states) is that if you are after a more relaxed, take it easy kind of recreational outdoorsy lifestyle, then move to Perth. I will be the first to admit that I thought of Perth as an isolated, backwards, non exciting place for the 20 something years that I lived there, but it really isn’t all that bad! The beaches are the best (white sand and clear, blue water), the weather is more varied than Melbourne (which means there is a distinct climate change between summer and winter), the pubs have real beer gardens, the traffic is not as busy, and the people are friendlier, it’s a cheaper place to rent or buy a home, the air is cleaner , water tastes nicer and there is more wide open space. Downsides, would be the extreme heat that summer sees (which I miss!), the flies (hate them!), the clothes shopping, there is a bit of a lack of decent pubs/clubs/bars compared to Melbourne (but there are a few good ones in Perth), and it can be a bit of a drive to get anywhere.

QUOTE]

Relaxed Lifestyle? Friendlier people? What drugs you been on? Can I have some too?
Old Mar 19th 2005, 4:47 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by booboo
yeah, the beaches and weather in Perth is beautiful. My brother lives in Perth. I wouldnt mind living there at all. I think its a fab place.... The shops in Perth city were very good and I love that eating place (indoors) where they have all the different types of food to choose from. Unfortunatley my hubby doesnt like Perth....

booboo
Me lives in Perth and me agrees with your hubby
Old Mar 19th 2005, 4:52 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by natmcg
Hi -
I found the Melbourne Vs Perth thing very interesting to read. I have this vision that Perth is just stunning - quiet, remote but the most wonderful place to live - and very much more 'English' than Melbourne, and considerably more friendly. I'm wondering what the reality is though. And also the bugs..more redbacks in Perth apparently - I'm still yet to find one here in Melbourne and I've looked _everywhere_! Oh I did see one in Melbourne Zoo if that counts.
Perth can be stinking hot in summer, even today it was 32 or 33 and humid.
The locals aren't the picture of friendliness they seem to get portrayed on this site(must have run into expat kiwis or poms). The place is bland, boring, and souless(no character): in short it's a sandpit on the edge of a desert. Infact they don't have soil here, they have sand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.