Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth Vs Melbourne.......

Perth Vs Melbourne.......

Old Sep 12th 2003, 3:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

salonit is on a distinguished road
Question Perth Vs Melbourne.......

I have been adament to go to perth and am validating visa in xmas this year. Just this week i have been having doubts about Perth...Pommie Bastard got to me.....!! been lookig at job opportunities and ( for me at least) and not as good as Melbourne. I have never been to Melbourne and am now considering keeping options open....

has nayone been to melbourne and perth and can give a comparison???? or am I just panicking ( i know its down to personal choice!)
Old Sep 12th 2003, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

davidw is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Been to Melbourne and live in Perth. Melbourne has more job and cultural opportunities, Perth, more affordable and warmer. I think Melbourne has considerably wider job opportunities, unless you're a tradesperson or small business person, Perth's slighly limited. If you're more into outdoors than "higher" culture, Perth's fine. If you really can cope with a truly scorching summer sun, Perth's fine. For families, Perth's incredibly family friendly. Bottom line - Perth's perfect for tradespersons, with outdoor hobbies and family interests.
Old Sep 12th 2003, 3:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have not been to Melbourne but with hindsight I think it was a bad choice coming to Perth, if you are already seeing restrictions for work in your occupation by checking internet etc, it will be far worse when you are here.

There is no doubt its a beautiful place but its small and restrictive and very isolated. I knew all this when I came here but thats another story.

Personally I now wish we had chosen another part of Oz. At least from Melbourne you have far more choice in work and location if you dont like it.

When you see the picture of perth from Kings Park, that really is it. !! Depending what you do that is your work catchment area. !! Smaller than Manchester.

Loads are going to disagree with me but thats my personal opinion for what its worth.
Old Sep 12th 2003, 4:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

salonit is on a distinguished road

thanks karawara and david,

love family friendly, hot perth but they have enough pharmacists there! i think i will leave it upto my hubby to work ( hope he gets a job!) ..noticed the isolation as i am freelance and i go to work in diff places everyday, and that would be hard in perth... i suppose have to weigh up choices ...make sure i get a job b4 i get out there ...but many thanks for your points of view ( have been reading the return to uk section on this forum and am scared coz lots of people returning from peth!)

i think perth is great for family if u have a good job and also have the most millionaires per square mile ( a statistic the cab driver told us when we got to Perth last year!!)

appreciate more opinions perth.......
Old Sep 12th 2003, 7:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jolyn is an unknown quantity at this point

Perth - great if you love it but even Aussies (I'm one) refer to it as 'the back of beyond'. Wouldn't go there without a job in mind if you're in a profession.

I loved Perth for a holiday but would be bored to death living there. It's still behind the times and there's only so much relaxing on the beach (in my opinion) that you can do in the rest of your life. Trying to be polite here as I know some people are really happy there.

I always feel sad when I hear Perth dwellers who are unhappy and/or returning to UK - sorry that they're abandoning all the plans and hopes they had when moving to Australia by judging it on one small place.

Professional jobs - Sydney is No 1 for quantity but expensive to live in. Melbourne is No 2 - 40% cheaper than Sydney to live in and pay is only 10% lower than Sydney. Some jobs in Brisbane and Adelaide but they're a lot lot fewer than Syd or Mel.
Old Sep 13th 2003, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

Zebra4 is on a distinguished road

Live in Perth but have family and friends in Melbourne.

Melbourne's more like Manchester. It has a European feel. Don't think their soccer team is anything to write home about though. It's busy, sophisticated and yes, they do have 4 seasons in 1 day.
It can look dirty and dismal. On the plus side, it's easy to get to Sydney, Tasmania and to go skiing. There are some great suburbs but it is pricier.

Perth's more Americanized. The city is small. It's slower paced and the weather is reliable. Housing is affordable. As someone has already said, it's very family friendly. WA is an incredibly rich state, it's growing rapidly - and has loads of opportunities.

As you say, it's a personal choice.
Old Sep 13th 2003, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

davidw is an unknown quantity at this point

live in perth, tried to be objective, but yes, melbourne really an look dirty and dismal. grotty my wife said, a city of black crows, too harsh i know and yet

david

Originally posted by Zebra4
Live in Perth but have family and friends in Melbourne.

Melbourne's more like Manchester. It has a European feel. Don't think their soccer team is anything to write home about though. It's busy, sophisticated and yes, they do have 4 seasons in 1 day.
It can look dirty and dismal. On the plus side, it's easy to get to Sydney, Tasmania and to go skiing. There are some great suburbs but it is pricier.

Perth's more Americanized. The city is small. It's slower paced and the weather is reliable. Housing is affordable. As someone has already said, it's very family friendly. WA is an incredibly rich state, it's growing rapidly - and has loads of opportunities.

As you say, it's a personal choice.
Old Sep 13th 2003, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

karawara88 what is your occupation?

debs
Old Sep 13th 2003, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

karawara88 what is your occupation?
Occupation is computer consultant so Perth very restrictive plus I am 39 so makes it even harder. (would be hard enough in UK)
Old Sep 13th 2003, 6:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jolyn is an unknown quantity at this point

True that if you think all of London looks grotty (not just some bits) than the big city thing is not for you and Melbourne should be ruled out and probably Sydney as well.

Also true that if you're moving for the weather Melbourne has some of the worst in Oz!

Good luck wherever.
Old Sep 13th 2003, 7:17 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

They are chalk and cheese. We were going to Perth, but have done more reserch and have decided Melbourne has much more to offer us. (By us i do mean us its a personal thing) Perth is beautiful and will be visiting plenty for holidays!