Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth vs Brisbane - pro's and con's

Perth vs Brisbane - pro's and con's

Old Oct 9th 2008, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

Norfolk Bunch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Perth vs Brisbane - pro's and con's

After worrying that I won't be able to get sponsored by an employer to get a 457 or 119 visa it turns out my own company are looking for Sales Managers in Australia and have been unable to recruit locally so are interested in me for the job

There are two positions - one for WA and one for Queensland which would involve me living near to either Perth or Brisbane (can't be located actually in Perth or Brisbane to meet RSMS post code criteria but can be close ie Mandurah or Bunbury ok for WA)

What are the pro's and con's for both Perth area and Brisbane area - would like to narrow it down to one or the other before flying out for fact finding visit and meet with my future boss!

Things to do, lifestyle, living costs, schools - as much info as possible please

Hope this doesn't start a war between the two cities

The Norfolk Bunch
Old Oct 9th 2008, 9:41 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Perth vs Brisbane - pro's and con's

You may or may not get much response. The subject has been done to death and comes up every month or so. So some people are just tired of giving opinions repeadtedly.

Anyhow... in the meantime you can go through all the old thread and have a look.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/searc...archid=1027021
Old Oct 9th 2008, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

mad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Norfolk Bunch
After worrying that I won't be able to get sponsored by an employer to get a 457 or 119 visa it turns out my own company are looking for Sales Managers in Australia and have been unable to recruit locally so are interested in me for the job

There are two positions - one for WA and one for Queensland which would involve me living near to either Perth or Brisbane (can't be located actually in Perth or Brisbane to meet RSMS post code criteria but can be close ie Mandurah or Bunbury ok for WA)

What are the pro's and con's for both Perth area and Brisbane area - would like to narrow it down to one or the other before flying out for fact finding visit and meet with my future boss!

Things to do, lifestyle, living costs, schools - as much info as possible please

The Norfolk Bunch
I cant help you with that one but just wishing ya good luck on where ever it is you decide
Old Oct 9th 2008, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

thedons will become famous soon enoughthedons will become famous soon enough

Brisbane wins 3-0
Old Oct 10th 2008, 8:29 pm
Just Joined

Wee Hels has a spectacular aura aboutWee Hels has a spectacular aura aboutWee Hels has a spectacular aura about

The Norfolk Bunch
lived in the south west nr Bunbury for a while and loved it. Felt at home straight off. Love Aus but the OH has no interest so looking Canada instead.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 4:26 am
MelAndDan

What are the pro's and con's for both Perth area and Brisbane area.
Climate is VERY different. Have a look at www.bom.gov.au to see what you prefer.

Mel

Old Oct 11th 2008, 8:58 pm
Just Joined

Norfolk Bunch is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone

have looked at some old threads as suggested - can see it's an emotive subject!

Perth area looks most likely at the moment - will have to see if potential job comes through ok

Fingers crossed

The Norfolk Bunch
Old Oct 12th 2008, 12:08 am
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute

One of the major benefits of choosing Brisbane over Perth(for me anyway) is the easy availability of travel up and down the east coast. You can fly down to Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide or north to Cairns, Port Douglas etc. I had terrible feelings of isolation living in Perth. Good luck with the job.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 8:08 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

I lived for years in Perth and my dissapointment with the place has been well documented on this site. It is a prettier city than Brissy but Brissy has more vibe and the people are friendlier. Weatherwise you get more humidity in Brisbane which I found made it harder to cope with than Perth, but that aside I'd choose Brisbane anyday. Perth is the ultimate in parochialism and pretensiousness. Not my scene at all.

Good luck with wherever you choose