Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

perth V plasterer

perth V plasterer

Old Apr 6th 2008, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

erco is just really niceerco is just really niceerco is just really niceerco is just really niceerco is just really niceerco is just really niceerco is just really niceerco is just really nice
Default perth V plasterer

hi all.

I know there is a wages topic on the forum but im going form happy to depressed every 5 minutes as there seems to be so many vacancies at such different wages.

in England we use the term plasterer to cover all aspects but ive found out in Oz its split into solid and fibrous plasterers. i can only go down 1 avenue for my visa so have chosen solid. even though i have tiling and fibrous certificates as well as an NVQ3, assessors award etc as im teaching plastering back in the UK.

are there any plasterers out there that can give me an idea of what actual wages are in the perth area. or whether going to another area will be more beneficial.

cheers

mr & mrs erco
Old Apr 6th 2008, 8:54 pm
Just Joined

Cath Lawson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: perth V plasterer

Hi there. So far as I'm aware, you don't have to do the work you actually specify on your visa, so if you wanted to do other types of plastering too, I'm betting you could.

As for wages, so long as they keep building houses you'll be fine. Plastering is one of the more skilled jobs in the construction industry, so hopefully you'll have less competition. I know that up here in Carlisle it's impossible to get hold of a plasterer - hopefully it will the the same in Australia.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

monkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by erco
hi all.

I know there is a wages topic on the forum but im going form happy to depressed every 5 minutes as there seems to be so many vacancies at such different wages.

in England we use the term plasterer to cover all aspects but ive found out in Oz its split into solid and fibrous plasterers. i can only go down 1 avenue for my visa so have chosen solid. even though i have tiling and fibrous certificates as well as an NVQ3, assessors award etc as im teaching plastering back in the UK.

are there any plasterers out there that can give me an idea of what actual wages are in the perth area. or whether going to another area will be more beneficial.

cheers

mr & mrs erco
I hope this helps you as ive been plastering here for two years now the wages are good white setting is basically the ozy version of finish or skimming varies from $2.50 to $6.00 a meter obviously changes if your supplying your own gear. Rendering is roughly the same. They call that floating. White setting takes a bit of getting used too as you cant sit around waiting for it to go off, you kno have your tea and sandwich. You have to chase it as it can go quick and its hard on the joints esp the elbow. Perths in a bit of a slump at mo works starting to dry up a bit so good luck.
I think melbourne uses dry line so not much work there as they dot and dab.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

erco is just really niceerco is just really niceerco is just really niceerco is just really niceerco is just really niceerco is just really niceerco is just really niceerco is just really nice

thanks for that.

i dry line too but thought being a fast skimmer...er whiter it might be more money...

thanks for the help

Wayne & Caroline