Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth v Brisbane - where to live?

Perth v Brisbane - where to live?

Old Feb 15th 2003, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

keaton is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Perth v Brisbane - where to live?

Hi guys,

Second post to forum - haven't had the chance to keep up with what is going on recently.

Good news - finally got acceptance letter this week so we're off to Australia once sorted.

Not 100% sure where to go and was wondering if any expats have any information on either Perth or Brisbane that will help us make more of a definite decision of where to move to. Failing that any pointers (websites etc) would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Feb 15th 2003, 6:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

andie is an unknown quantity at this point

nice to see somone eles as confused as us, we cant decide either, have only been to brisbane, but perth and adelaide sound tempting as well, have you been to perth?
Old Feb 15th 2003, 7:22 pm
plumber39

must admit we were thinking eastside ,but after visiting perth now it,s a very hard call !

Old Feb 15th 2003, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Perth v Brisbane - where to live?

Well done, nice position to be in.........We are committed to go to Adelaide as we have friends there and liked it the 3 times we've been.
Must be wierd not knowing quite where to head for..

Mash...

Originally posted by keaton
Hi guys,

Second post to forum - haven't had the chance to keep up with what is going on recently.

Good news - finally got acceptance letter this week so we're off to Australia once sorted.

Not 100% sure where to go and was wondering if any expats have any information on either Perth or Brisbane that will help us make more of a definite decision of where to move to. Failing that any pointers (websites etc) would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Feb 15th 2003, 8:20 pm
Just Joined

Gooner is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by plumber39
must admit we were thinking eastside ,but after visiting perth now it,s a very hard call !
Hi,

Can you please give us a bit more info about the two cities and why it is a very hard call after visiting perth. Thanks Inadvance
Old Feb 15th 2003, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant future

I'm sure there is an earlier post which asks your very question.

All i'll say is know that Brisbane has more of a humid sub-tropical heat wheras Perth is a dryer often hotter place.

Perth is more isolated from any other major capital. From Brisbane one can drive to Sydney (about 600 miles/1000k) at a push.

I'd say winters are cooler in Perth than Brisbane and of course the Sun rises in the Pacific and sets in the Indian Ocean.
Old Feb 16th 2003, 6:38 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys,

Thanks!
You ought to visit both before deciding.......

that Perth is better

http://www.perthweb.com.au/index.shtml
Old Feb 16th 2003, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

Grotbags is an unknown quantity at this point

We were surprised at how quiet and small Perth was - too much so for us. Beaches are lovely, but we did feel a real sense of isolation.

We are heading for Brisbane as we preferred the general feel of it and the surrounding areas such as the sunshine and gold coast and the hinterland areas - it just seemed to have more to offer us. But it is definitely all down to personal opinion.
Old Feb 16th 2003, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by andie
nice to see somone eles as confused as us, we cant decide either, have only been to brisbane, but perth and adelaide sound tempting as well, have you been to perth?
Andie,

Not visited either yet but have to make first trip out there by August 7th, just have to decide where to go really ...
Old Feb 16th 2003, 10:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

We where adament on Perth Oz to live before we went out there and visited

Perth, Adelaide, Sydney and Brisbane Coasts.

I thought Perth was stunning, but a ghost town, a very well off place as me and hubby discovered one day walking around town after surfing and was wearing our boardies and rashers and the looks we got from people and I was amazed. It didn't appear to be as laid back as the east. Like we had been told. The suburbs where more laid back but it was just so vast. That it didn't seem to have an atmosphere, but that is my opinion it is beautiful and you could tell the place had money.

When we flew over Brisbane into the airport you could see how lush and green the place was, we loved it here as we are leaving the Uk as we want a more laid back lifestyle and in Brisbane that is definalty the case, it has the amazing greenery of the mountains that cascade down to some stunning beaches,

Every Aussy I spoke to whether it was in Perth or Adelaide said how beautiful Queensland was and the Sunshine Coast.

It was a difficult choice for us but Queensland felt right for us, there is alot of work for my hubby and we can buy a house pretty close to the beach so we can go surfign that won't break the bank and of course everyone is more laid back that will suit me any time.

I would say you have to visit before deciding as I said before we where 100% sure Perth was for us.

Good luck

Carrianne
Old Feb 16th 2003, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by mashiraz
Well done, nice position to be in.........We are committed to go to Adelaide as we have friends there and liked it the 3 times we've been.
Must be wierd not knowing quite where to head for..

Mash...
Mash,

Yes it is a bit weird not knowing where to go but if I can manage to narrow it down it may help when we finally move out there.

Have noticed you're in the East Mids, I'm in Northants myself ...
Old Feb 16th 2003, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Stan J
I'm sure there is an earlier post which asks your very question.

All i'll say is know that Brisbane has more of a humid sub-tropical heat wheras Perth is a dryer often hotter place.

Perth is more isolated from any other major capital. From Brisbane one can drive to Sydney (about 600 miles/1000k) at a push.

I'd say winters are cooler in Perth than Brisbane and of course the Sun rises in the Pacific and sets in the Indian Ocean.
Hey stan,

Thanks for the info.

Not sure if I'd fancy the drive tho!
Old Feb 16th 2003, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Carrianne
Hi,

We where adament on Perth Oz to live before we went out there and visited

Perth, Adelaide, Sydney and Brisbane Coasts.

I thought Perth was stunning, but a ghost town, a very well off place as me and hubby discovered one day walking around town after surfing and was wearing our boardies and rashers and the looks we got from people and I was amazed. It didn't appear to be as laid back as the east. Like we had been told. The suburbs where more laid back but it was just so vast. That it didn't seem to have an atmosphere, but that is my opinion it is beautiful and you could tell the place had money.

When we flew over Brisbane into the airport you could see how lush and green the place was, we loved it here as we are leaving the Uk as we want a more laid back lifestyle and in Brisbane that is definalty the case, it has the amazing greenery of the mountains that cascade down to some stunning beaches,

Every Aussy I spoke to whether it was in Perth or Adelaide said how beautiful Queensland was and the Sunshine Coast.

It was a difficult choice for us but Queensland felt right for us, there is alot of work for my hubby and we can buy a house pretty close to the beach so we can go surfign that won't break the bank and of course everyone is more laid back that will suit me any time.

I would say you have to visit before deciding as I said before we where 100% sure Perth was for us.

Good luck

Carrianne
Carrianne,

Seems like a lot of people who ahve replied to this have said that Perth isn't really for them, plus i have been told by an Oz friend that Perth is 'out in sticks' compared to the other cities in Oz.

Being able to get a job easily may also determine location but as you say you have to like the place to live there in the first place, kinda like buying a house really - you know what you like.

Guess I'll have to keep looking and see what others have to say. Thanks for the info, every little helps!

Cheers!
Old Feb 16th 2003, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

Keaton, I'm near Derby ....

Mash,

Have noticed you're in the East Mids, I'm in Northants myself ...
Old Feb 16th 2003, 5:22 pm
plumber39

I know i said in earlier post Gold coast for me ,but don,t discount Perth I was,nt going to visit the place ,but so many people said must so i did and i,m glad i did it is a great place felt more european than east side nice dry heat.Me and the family went cycling on rotnest island in 33 degrees of heat and did,nt even work up a sweat. Brisbane is a different type of heat can be very humid. It realy is a hard call and it is,nt a small place like some people try too make out over 1 million people live there. You really need too see the place for your self before making any decision !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.