Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth - which suburb ?

Perth - which suburb ?

Old May 7th 2006, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

The Old Trout is a glorious beacon of lightThe Old Trout is a glorious beacon of lightThe Old Trout is a glorious beacon of lightThe Old Trout is a glorious beacon of lightThe Old Trout is a glorious beacon of lightThe Old Trout is a glorious beacon of lightThe Old Trout is a glorious beacon of lightThe Old Trout is a glorious beacon of lightThe Old Trout is a glorious beacon of lightThe Old Trout is a glorious beacon of lightThe Old Trout is a glorious beacon of light
Default Perth - which suburb ?

I've been in Perth for 3 years now and monitoring this site for about 6 months.

It amazes me the N/S river debates, cos nobody mentions the hills

I started off in cottesloe but after 6 months realised I was being ripped off. got rid of my Cottesloe 3x1, got a hills (Kalamunda) 3x1+view for 70% of the price and am now living the good life.

Got money in the bank, friends through the craft circle, son & daughter-in-law 3 suburbs away and cant imagine living my UK lifestyle.

It may be different for young families, but I'm amazed about the lack of "hills" discussion. 20 years ago Kalamunda was The place to be - we even have a british sweets store
Old May 7th 2006, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth - which suburb ?

I want to live in the hillls as I want more property for my money but hubby wants to be near the sea.

How do we sort that one?
Old May 7th 2006, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

The Old Trout is a glorious beacon of lightThe Old Trout is a glorious beacon of lightThe Old Trout is a glorious beacon of lightThe Old Trout is a glorious beacon of lightThe Old Trout is a glorious beacon of lightThe Old Trout is a glorious beacon of lightThe Old Trout is a glorious beacon of lightThe Old Trout is a glorious beacon of lightThe Old Trout is a glorious beacon of lightThe Old Trout is a glorious beacon of lightThe Old Trout is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Luma
I want to live in the hillls as I want more property for my money but hubby wants to be near the sea.

How do we sort that one?

How much money do you have to spend ????

for the same price as a 3x1 on a 500sqm block in Hillarys you can get a 4x2 on a 1000sqm in the hills (sadly not Kalamunda though).

Most Australians spend more time in their pool than on the beach so seaside is kind of irrelevant.
Old May 7th 2006, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

micged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by The Old Trout

I started off in cottesloe but after 6 months realised I was being ripped off. got rid of my Cottesloe 3x1, got a hills (Kalamunda) 3x1+view for 70% of the price and am now living the good life.

Got money in the bank, friends through the craft circle, son & daughter-in-law 3 suburbs away and cant imagine living my UK lifestyle.

It may be different for young families, but I'm amazed about the lack of "hills" discussion. 20 years ago Kalamunda was The place to be - we even have a british sweets store
We are really open to any suggestions I like the idea certainly of having a bit more land.
Which areas would you recommend in the hills for those with young children? We would want a good independent school - I believe Guildford Grammar is out that way, are there any others for girls? All advice would be gratefully received - we have our visa and are coming out in August to look around and make some decisions.
Thanks - Michelle
Old May 7th 2006, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by micged
We are really open to any suggestions I like the idea certainly of having a bit more land.
Which areas would you recommend in the hills for those with young children? We would want a good independent school - I believe Guildford Grammar is out that way, are there any others for girls? All advice would be gratefully received - we have our visa and are coming out in August to look around and make some decisions.
Thanks - Michelle
If you want Guildford Grammar can I suggest the suburbs of Darlington (1st choice) or Hovea or Greenmount? Did you know that Heath Ledger went to Guildford Grammar?????
Old May 7th 2006, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

micged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant future

If you want Guildford Grammar can I suggest the suburbs of Darlington (1st choice) or Hovea or Greenmount? Did you know that Heath Ledger went to Guildford Grammar?????
Well that is as good a recommendation as any!! Which schools do the girls go to in these areas?
Thanks Michelle
Old May 7th 2006, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

I've been trying to look at the map - is Darlington under the flight path? - If so is it noisy or is it okay?
Michelle
Old May 7th 2006, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

Well that is as good a recommendation as any!! Which schools do the girls go to in these areas?
Thanks Michelle
Guildford Grammar - its co-educational !

Alternatively if you dont want to pay private fees, Kalamunda SH is one of the best schools in Perth - I think it was 3 of the top 'A' students in WA last year came from KSH
Old May 7th 2006, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

I've been trying to look at the map - is Darlington under the flight path? - If so is it noisy or is it okay?
Michelle
No, its not under the flight path. Its actually one of the 'desirable' suburbs (and it has a great winery which does fantastic meals on a sunday lunchtime)
Old May 7th 2006, 7:47 pm
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute

we are still deciding which oz state to live in - but WA is currently top of our list and if we do head to Perth then the hillls and especially Kalamunda are where we would like to be. Although we are not too fussy about suburb we are looking to be fairly rural (although with kids we can't be too far from schools), hoping to have a couple of acres, we are expecting to need to commute to Perth CBD so no more than about 30 mins drive, somewhere with family friendly facilities, etc, etc. Any info greatly received!!

Adele
Old May 7th 2006, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

Guildford Grammar - its co-educational !

Alternatively if you dont want to pay private fees, Kalamunda SH is one of the best schools in Perth - I think it was 3 of the top 'A' students in WA last year came from KSH
Sorry I knew that the junior school is co-ed but I thought the secondary was boys only. Looking at the website it does say the senior school is boys only - has it gone co-ed all the way through now? - If so that would answer all our problems!
Thanks
Michelle
Old May 7th 2006, 10:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I knew that the junior school is co-ed but I thought the secondary was boys only. Looking at the website it does say the senior school is boys only - has it gone co-ed all the way through now? - If so that would answer all our problems!
Thanks
Michelle
If I was in Perth I would live in the Hills, preferably as far away from Amazulu as possible.

Only joking mate.
Old May 8th 2006, 1:02 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
If I was in Perth I would live in the Hills, preferably as far away from Amazulu as possible.

Only joking mate.
No worries. From how you describe where you live in Victoria, I know you would love living here. It sounds very similar.

I also don't understand the lack of debate about the hills. I can see the appeal of living next to the ocean, it has it's advantages. Unfortunately in Perth apart from a few nice suburbs, City Beach & Cottesloe spring to mind, most of the suburbs are bland, sterile Legoland. I find the beaches SOR are nicer although the infrastructure/facilites down there are not as good. Up here we are in the bush but with most of the facilities needed for modern life. We are only 30mins from the city & if you need it only 40-45mins from the beach.

Kalamunda/Gooseberry Hill/Lesmurdie is a desirable place to live IMO. Big plots, big houses, bush, wildlife, outdoor activities, good schools, good facilities, nice people, a real community feel etc.

It's all good. I love it.
Old May 8th 2006, 4:47 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

The Perth Hills are beautiful........with fantastic views!!! Its just too hot for me though!!
Old May 8th 2006, 5:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
No worries. From how you describe where you live in Victoria, I know you would love living here. It sounds very similar.

It's all good. I love it.
Mate I would live there, just because you do. That's good enough for me.
And clearly, it has lifestyle options that we get in VIC.

(Christ I sound like a crawler).

Badge

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.