British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Perth Skyworks Advice please? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/perth-skyworks-advice-please-701966/)

pomerz Jan 23rd 2011 12:47 pm

Perth Skyworks Advice please?

As its our first Australia day here we are looking at the option of a day out in the city and was wondering what from past experience anyone has of this?:D

We are a family of 3 looking to watch the air show and the fireworks (without any alcohol) before heading back on the train to Freo......We have been to London for NYE on the Thames twice in the last 3 years and know how stupid things can get on leaving areas so my main question is where should we view from and how congested will areas become when everyone heads home.....Is it worth the effort....

Any thoughts would be very apreciated:thumbup:

Cheers M

HelenTD Jan 23rd 2011 12:50 pm

Re: Perth Skyworks Advice please?

Did you get yesterday's West Australian? If not, track one down early tomorrow, or try a petrol station now, before they all get collected, as there was a liftout on the fireworks, with maps and all sorts of tips. And yes, it can take a long time to get home, with tired kids, blanket, esky, etc, etc:).

saxtonj Jan 23rd 2011 1:06 pm

didnt like it myself. not much to do, most shops etc closed except for a couple of cafes. You do a hell of a lot of hanging around for a few fireworks at the end of the day. And yes - it takes an awful long time to get outta there. last year was alcohol free (supposedly) but this year isn't.

I wont be going this year. will be spending time with family etc instea dof the city.

Kelli28 Jan 23rd 2011 2:13 pm

Yey I'm going to be right in the middle of it, I'll just watch the fireworks from my balcony, although I'd better not make plans to anywhere else if all the roads are going to be blocked.

eddie007 Jan 23rd 2011 2:22 pm

Well worth the effort.. Its not just the fireworks... There's a great atmosphere and it is australia day!!!!!

sunbather Jan 24th 2011 5:12 am

Originally Posted by eddie007 (Post 9122752)
Well worth the effort.. Its not just the fireworks... There's a great atmosphere and it is australia day!!!!!

I'd echo that. You getter a better view from the south side of the river but my advice would be to get off the train at the esplanade then sit on the grass just down there. Means you'll be one of the first to get back to the train station once the fireworks are over. Sure it's busy but things move smoothly and we've never seen any trouble, been doing it for 4 years. I'll be working up there this year so have a parking permit.

Icarus Jan 24th 2011 5:23 am

Had a great time last year , spent most of the arvo there & had no problems getting home . 40 mins tops from leaving Esplanade to my door up near Joondalup .

We shall go this year but head down later around 5ish .

renth Jan 24th 2011 5:58 am

I went once and it was a massive drunken brawl, like something out of a wild west movie. Bottles flying, women fighting, the lot.

Not a nice place to be with kids.

If you MUST go then go to the alcohol free enclosure, you pay to get in and there are loads of things for the kids to do.

jimbo_d Jan 24th 2011 9:19 am

Go to Tuart Hill, watch from a great vantage point without all the crowds and hassle

pomerz Jan 24th 2011 10:31 am

Originally Posted by renth (Post 9124218)
I went once and it was a massive drunken brawl, like something out of a wild west movie. Bottles flying, women fighting, the lot.

Not a nice place to be with kids.

If you MUST go then go to the alcohol free enclosure, you pay to get in and there are loads of things for the kids to do.

Thanks all as always the views of all are good....We have decided to go as we are so new and currently 'billy no mates' however we would like to sample some of the un wildwest atmosphere if possible so where are the beer free zones we have a paper from Sat thanks for the tip....And will look at Tuart next year as this is a great idea:eek: