Reload this Page >

Perth-September 2012

Perth-September 2012

Old Jun 20th 2012, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

ziggyplaysguitar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Perth-September 2012

Hi everyone,

Relocating to Perth in mid September. Had the opportunity to make the jump early last year and due to circumstances didnt come. Have the chance again and decided with my wife to give it a go. Looking to stay for the 457 visa duration get good career furtherance and see how the land lies at the end of it.

Looked at all the info and the area that is bothering me the most is finding accommodation. The company I am with only offers temporary lodging for 2 weeks and I am slightly concerned with the ability to source an apartment in this time. Most of the info highlights the difficulties etc, but I am wondering if it is that difficult and long winded to find a 1 bedroom apartment in the inner city suburbs quickly around 450-500 p/wk? I will be working in the business district. Transport links to the city would be pretty important in the first few months until I purchase a car.

Would it be advisable to book temporary accommodation when I arrive for 2 further weeks? If so are there any suggestions without paying through the nose too much.

Like I say I am pretty up to speed with the relocation commitments having research it well, it is just the length of time for finding a flat for me and my missus that is keeping me awake at night.
Old Jun 21st 2012, 6:24 am
Forum Regular

saintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nice
Default Re: Perth-September 2012

Congrats on making the leap!

The Perth rental market is ridiculous at the moment, but you should be able to find somewhere within the two weeks.

We regularly bring people in from overseas and they've all found accomodation within the two week timeframe.

Some tips:

1. Spend the first two weeks looking for property. Going sight-seeing can be fitted around viewings.

2. Rental Agents work very differently here to the UK. EG - in the UK you'd call up and say "I'm looking for a place, I'm available Thursday, take me on viewings". Here, they say "the viewing is midday on Tuesday, be there or miss out". Advice is to keep as much time free as possible.

3. Hire a cheap car (bayswater are good) and buy a satnav.

4. Get your employer to write a letter for you, confirming your employment status, salary (if it's good) and visa status. It helps with estate agents.

5. Dress smart and be as nice as you can to the agents. They decide who gets the rental.

6. Put in a bid/lease agreement for every property that doesn't need a holding deposit.

7. Use gumtree.com.au to find a direct rental if you can. It's quicker, easier and you get one-on-one viewings.

8. By the Weekend West on Saturday morning as early as you can, and look at the rentals.

Good luck!

Stu