Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth (secret Harbour) vs Central coast (terrigal)

Perth (secret Harbour) vs Central coast (terrigal)

Old May 24th 2010, 3:18 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Perth (secret Harbour) vs Central coast (terrigal)

Go to the central coast of NSW, Perth is over priced, over rated, and over isolated from the rest of OZ. To me it seems Terrigal has more of counrty style lifestyle while secret harbour seems much more suburban or outer suburbs , leggo Land with new housing estates and McMansions.

Last edited by mohogony; May 24th 2010 at 3:24 am.
Old May 24th 2010, 5:46 am
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

.[/QUOTE]

Secret harbour is one of the "nicer" suburbs in W.A...not a shithole at all.

Night out in the city....10 dollars return on train and last bus around 2pm from Warnbro.

Insular, yes.....snobby...maybe..........lack of retail/ pubs ....yes.

Old May 24th 2010, 7:26 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

My advice to the OP is thatin Perth you still need to be close to the city. For the sake of a brand new looking house you lose culture, resturants and nightlife but as someone pointed out it is getting better but it will still take 10-20 years to be fully developed down there. After the novelty factor wheres out I doubt anyone will be taking 50 min train rides or 70 minute bus rides every weekend especielly at nighttime here when the city does get a bit dangerous. Mandurah does have clubs but it's bogan central and honestly I feel much safer in Northbridge and the City than there.

Terrigal might be a better option but the Work careers in WA are still better in my opinion and NSW's is an absolute basketcase work wise atm. It wouldn't be much better than the UK for work and the economy here is getting worse.

Also with house buying I would also wait a bit as prices here have to drop and if prices here drop then the Mandurah area will be the most affected so also keep that in mine.

With Terrigal you're in the central coast but you're not that far from Sydney or in general the rest of Australia but in Perth you're a close to Asia. This may sound strange but you need to get out of here every now and then or you will go nuts. Europe is not on your doorstep anymore.

If your going to spend between 600-800k on a house then there are better places in Perth to live in.

Last edited by Weebie; May 24th 2010 at 7:34 am.
Old May 24th 2010, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

ukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Weebie
My advice to the OP is thatin Perth you still need to be close to the city. For the sake of a brand new looking house you lose culture, resturants and nightlife but as someone pointed out it is getting better but it will still take 10-20 years to be fully developed down there. After the novelty factor wheres out I doubt anyone will be taking 50 min train rides or 70 minute bus rides every weekend especielly at nighttime here when the city does get a bit dangerous. Mandurah does have clubs but it's bogan central and honestly I feel much safer in Northbridge and the City than there.

Terrigal might be a better option but the Work careers in WA are still better in my opinion and NSW's is an absolute basketcase work wise atm. It wouldn't be much better than the UK for work and the economy here is getting worse.

Also with house buying I would also wait a bit as prices here have to drop and if prices here drop then the Mandurah area will be the most affected so also keep that in mine.

With Terrigal you're in the central coast but you're not that far from Sydney or in general the rest of Australia but in Perth you're a close to Asia. This may sound strange but you need to get out of here every now and then or you will go nuts. Europe is not on your doorstep anymore.

If your going to spend between 600-800k on a house then there are better places in Perth to live in.
Thanks guys this is exactly the kind of opinions I am after.
Old May 24th 2010, 11:27 am
Account Closed

Catch is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mindblower
Secret harbour is one of the "nicer" suburbs in W.A...not a shithole at all.

Night out in the city....10 dollars return on train and last bus around 2pm from Warnbro.

Insular, yes.....snobby...maybe..........lack of retail/ pubs ....yes.

[/QUOTE]

bloody hell dave that"last bus around 2 pm" must have scuttled my night life
Old May 24th 2010, 11:48 am
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

[life[/QUOTE]

Still time fo for a final hurrah Paul ??
Old May 24th 2010, 12:01 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Weebie

Perth is'nt close to Asia, is not close to anywhere, Perth is about as close to Asia as the UK is as close to Canada, its the most isoalted city in the world in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by thousands of miles of empty nothingness.
Old May 24th 2010, 12:07 pm
Lancs to central coast

simnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud of

We live between Terrigal & Forresters Beach & love the area, beautiful beaches, plenty of restaurants, pubs & clubs that do cheap chew & spew, not been to any nightclubs yet but do know that everybody has trouble getting home so a mini bus would be a good business to start.
Plenty of electrical firms about, 2 on my street alone, a few vacancies in the central coast express advocate each week. I drive my truck all over Sydney & NSW & the traffic is nothing compared to Manchester, Birmingham & London, though I do try to set off early.
Best of luck Sim
Old May 24th 2010, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

SenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really nice

Originally Posted by ukdarren22
Hi I am a 29 year old Electrician, and me my wife and 2 kids are thinking of moving from Perth (Secret Harbour), to Central coast we do love it here but we have had some problems here and we are thinking of having a new start. we have lived here for the last 2 years and we do love it here but would like another adventure before the kids are to old to move again. We also have family in forrestors beach Parents and think it would be nice for the kids to have grandparents again.
What is work like over there, also how accesible is Sydney from the area. We like to go out drinking eating, clubbing, gigs etc. we love the beach and warm weather, any info would be great thanks
Hi Darren! We've been here over 4 years and it's great. Plenty of bars/restaurants here though restaurants shut early out of season so no going out for dinner after 8pm unless it's the weekend or tourist season. :Hubby found it hard to find work but I think it's easier here if you have a trade but wouldn't like to say more than that. Few live music venues here, but bigger scene in Newcastle. Drive/train to sydney about 1 and a half hours though train safer! About the same to Newcastle. Hubby gets ferry to Plam beach which is only 20 mins but unless you work on the Northern beaches like he does you'll still have to fight the traffic to get into the CBD.

Fantastic 4 kids (we have 2) loads of parks, indoor play areas, pools. Also skate parks, ice rink, basketball court, lakes to paddle out on etc. The coast lovely, water clean and lots of rock pools for kids (terrigal, avoca, copa, macs, pearl beach all have them. Loads of other little secluded beaches too. If you have family here will be great 4 all of you I should think though I haven't been to Perth to compare. Loads of national park nearby plus not far from blue mountains (2.5 hours) Hunter valley (2 hours) Port Stephens (2.5) and Forster (3 hours).

House prices vary from inner suburb 350,000 ish to beach about 550-750 avg 4 a 3/4 bed but up to 4 million!!!! Central coast advoctae online has a property paper with all the listings. Rent from 300/week for 3 bed nice area.

Public schools good and lots of private/faith schools. Lots of brits here too. Shopping at Erina Fair/Tuggarah/Bateau bay/Gosford. Some dodgy areas but on the whole a great place to bring up kids I think.

Good luck with your decision making!

Jo x
Old May 24th 2010, 12:47 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by SenoraJo
Hi Darren! We've been here over 4 years and it's great. Plenty of bars/restaurants here though restaurants shut early out of season so no going out for dinner after 8pm unless it's the weekend or tourist season. :Hubby found it hard to find work but I think it's easier here if you have a trade but wouldn't like to say more than that. Few live music venues here, but bigger scene in Newcastle. Drive/train to sydney about 1 and a half hours though train safer! About the same to Newcastle. Hubby gets ferry to Plam beach which is only 20 mins but unless you work on the Northern beaches like he does you'll still have to fight the traffic to get into the CBD.

Fantastic 4 kids (we have 2) loads of parks, indoor play areas, pools. Also skate parks, ice rink, basketball court, lakes to paddle out on etc. The coast lovely, water clean and lots of rock pools for kids (terrigal, avoca, copa, macs, pearl beach all have them. Loads of other little secluded beaches too. If you have family here will be great 4 all of you I should think though I haven't been to Perth to compare. Loads of national park nearby plus not far from blue mountains (2.5 hours) Hunter valley (2 hours) Port Stephens (2.5) and Forster (3 hours).

House prices vary from inner suburb 350,000 ish to beach about 550-750 avg 4 a 3/4 bed but up to 4 million!!!! Central coast advoctae online has a property paper with all the listings. Rent from 300/week for 3 bed nice area.

Public schools good and lots of private/faith schools. Lots of brits here too. Shopping at Erina Fair/Tuggarah/Bateau bay/Gosford. Some dodgy areas but on the whole a great place to bring up kids I think.

Good luck with your decision making!

Jo x
l agree NSW central coast beats perth
Old May 25th 2010, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

ukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mohogony
l agree NSW central coast beats perth
We are thinking of going over there soon to have a look around are there any particular suburbs to make sure that we look at, we will at first be renting with a budget of $400 max, with the hope of buying in the not too distant future
Old May 25th 2010, 10:53 am
Lancs to central coast

simnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud of

We are thinking of going over there soon to have a look around are there any particular suburbs to make sure that we look at, we will at first be renting with a budget of $400 max, with the hope of buying in the not too distant future
Like most places you'll probably find every suburb has a rough part or you could have a fantastic house but awful neighbours, can your parents/ in laws have a look for you?
We love Wamberal but would live in lots of other nearby areas, I can ask the locals about any area you're interested in if you want.
Sim
Old May 25th 2010, 11:54 pm
Forum Regular

SenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really nice

Depends what your after, beachside, schools, acreage, transport links, no of beds and how far your willing to commute/travel time. $400 will get you something decent. Suburbs I like best beachside are copacabana and avoca, terrigal beachside too and has more amenities/pubs etc but can be busy and noisy. Wamberal also nice and near to beach. Killcare and hardy's bay/pretty beach good for beach and ferry but like copa not alot there though has a nice rsl and a few restaurants and mooring 4 boats. Like I said depends what ur after but whatever that is you will find plenty of places here to choose from, happy hunting! Jo x
Old May 26th 2010, 11:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SenoraJo
Depends what your after, beachside, schools, acreage, transport links, no of beds and how far your willing to commute/travel time. $400 will get you something decent. Suburbs I like best beachside are copacabana and avoca, terrigal beachside too and has more amenities/pubs etc but can be busy and noisy. Wamberal also nice and near to beach. Killcare and hardy's bay/pretty beach good for beach and ferry but like copa not alot there though has a nice rsl and a few restaurants and mooring 4 boats. Like I said depends what ur after but whatever that is you will find plenty of places here to choose from, happy hunting! Jo x
wow okay, thanks, looking for somewhere that is not too bad for getting into Sydney, although I am hoping ot find local work it is nice here in Secret Harbour that Perth is so easily accessible, I do love it here in Perth and I do think it is a great place to bring up kids for anyone thinking of the move.