Perth Schools

Old Sep 22nd 2003, 7:47 am
Just Joined

Teacher's apple is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink

Has anyone looked at The International School of Perth yet? It is a school where many students and teachers are ex-pats. They have an academic schedule that follows the nothern hemisphere(August to June). Plus, academics are stressed much more than sports.

I am quite biased, but check them out. www.isperth.org
Old Sep 22nd 2003, 8:46 am
IT nerd

MartinD is an unknown quantity at this point

We came to Perth's northern suburbs when our daughter was 11 - she had already been 1 year in secondary in the UK, but here was back in Primary for 1 year before movingup to high school - very wierd for her!

We live in Ocean Reef now, and initially she went to Mullaloo Primary, which was a really nice little school with a great feel to it. Now she is up at Ocean Reef High, and I ma a bit less impressed with it. The deputy head there made a great speech at the initial parents evening about how kids get homework every night, and how strict the school is, but in nearly 2 years now I have seen hardly any evidence of this. There is hardly any structured reading, and many lessons involved the use of 'new media' (i.e. watching TV programs and discussing them!). They have no school uniform as such, and they all look bloody scruffy!

Many of the private schools (Prindeville is a local one in Ocean Reef) are Catholic based, and the best ones have long lists to get in - apply early!

From these schools there is a path to the Private Catholic Uni based in Fremantle (Norte Dame - linked to the US uni of the same name), and other kids will go either to uni's at UWA/Curtin/ECU/Murdoch, or one of the many TAFE colleges.

Streaming is a common thing at Ocean Reef high, and if your kid does not perform well in the first couple of years, they will be excluded from the extra attention and higher achieving classes towards the end of their education.

Another note on the northern suburbs - kids like to hang around the Whitfords shopping centre, especially on late night Thursday shopping - there is a lot of older kids that cause trouble at these times, and police/security is on extra alert. It is not a place I let our 14yr old go to unaccompanied!
Old Sep 22nd 2003, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

delboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Perth Schools

Originally posted by Finch
Perth Bound people

We've done a lot of research on Senior and Primary schools for our 3 (ages 12, 8 and 6) in Perth. Happy to share what we've got, I will send out privately in word doc to those interested. Just in the process of arranging visits to them when I'm out in November.

Basis info is we've whittled it done to 5 SHS, Duncraig, Carine, Ocean Reef, Churchlands and Peter Moyes (in Mindarie). For the Primarys we're down to Sorrento, Marmion, Poynter, Poseiden, Ocean Reef and possibly Lymburner. Peter Moyes does yr 1 right thru' to yr 11.

Each to their own but our criteria was Northern Suburbs, walking distance to both Primary and SHS schools and beachside suburbs or at most, one suburb away from coast.

I'll post my findings once I've actually been to see them, but if anybody wants access to some of my research just shout. If anybody has any initial comments regarding these over and above whats been posted (seen a few comments re Duncraig SHS) then info gratefully received.

Finch
hi finch this would be exellant i have a 9 year old son and we r having atrip in 4 weeks time so whatever info you have would be cool many thanks ps we r staying in kingsley but r hoping to have a look around the ocean reef area .also mandurah and suburbs around the coast
Old Sep 22nd 2003, 10:43 am
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

Hi ya my son also goes to Duncarig senior high , as said no probs with school , yes the chaplain jason is great scott goes to the christian centre he runs for a friday nite band night and skate nite very cool . Shawnie is in hillarys primary (old name lymburner ) she loves it we have no probs either. So all in all very pleased as its such a big upheavel for them , and they have settled great.
Joanne xx
Old Sep 22nd 2003, 10:59 am
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

Am i the onlt parent who isnt doing anything about schools untill we arrive in WA?

Does this make me a really irresponsible parent?

My kids have moved schools a couple of times here and my main priority is to find an area where we feel we can live happily and then check out the school, if i dont like what i see then we will try another area. The last thing i want to do is find a school before i go then find when i get there that i neither like the neighbourhood or can afford to live in the area. Once my kids start school i dont want to change them unless we have made a really big mistake.

Lynn the worlds worst mother:scared:
Old Sep 22nd 2003, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

Nope you are ok lynn we wrote to 2 schools and went to see them etc when we arrived , but we ended up settling a good drive away from them , so they werent practical , so had to start again anyway !!! We sorted the area out then the schools closet to us , which turned out to be good , so it worked well.
Joanne xx
Old Sep 22nd 2003, 11:48 pm
Forum Regular

FiFi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Uni's

If your looking for info on uni's try www.idp.com..

Around Perth the main ones seem to be Western, Murdoch & Notre Dame... quite costly compared to UK though.. best of luck

Originally posted by yvsie
hi finch,

i also need info on high schools and junior schools ( also universities). kids 18, 13 and 10 yrs.
im on grub's list for perth so would you forward me details ???

ta muchly!!
Old Sep 22nd 2003, 11:53 pm
Forum Regular

FiFi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Private Schools

Gerard

I've had a look at a few .. mostly single sex, boarding, religous..
also waiting lists.

IDP.com has details of schools, colleges and uni's

Originally posted by Gerard
Has anybody researched the private schools in Perth?

Please post any good sites if you come across them.

Thanks
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 1:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Santa is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to behold

Our two children (9 and 7) started at Ocean Reek Primary last week, both seem to have settled in well and are happy which was our biggest concern. We looked at Mullaloo but the head couldn't accept from outside the Catchment area, his class sizes were already too big so we went to Ocean Reef which we had looked at on a previous trip back in March (when the weather was good and not blowing 130kph). He accepted our two as we are looking to buy in the area. Both have had Spelling and Reading homework since starting.
We've spoken to a number of people since arriving, it seems Mullaloo Beach Primary did have a problem last year with the Head and his Deputy. Both have now been replaced, the new head is Mr Dixon, he was on a temp placement in March but is now got the position full time. He's seems a really nice guy. My children spoke some 9/10 year old who went to Mullaloo and all said it was excellent. Anyway, my lot seem really happy with Ocean Reef so all we need to do know is find a house !!!
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 1:57 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Santa
Our two children (9 and 7) started at Ocean Reek Primary last week, both seem to have settled in well and are happy which was our biggest concern. We looked at Mullaloo but the head couldn't accept from outside the Catchment area, his class sizes were already too big so we went to Ocean Reef which we had looked at on a previous trip back in March (when the weather was good and not blowing 130kph). He accepted our two as we are looking to buy in the area. Both have had Spelling and Reading homework since starting.
We've spoken to a number of people since arriving, it seems Mullaloo Beach Primary did have a problem last year with the Head and his Deputy. Both have now been replaced, the new head is Mr Dixon, he was on a temp placement in March but is now got the position full time. He's seems a really nice guy. My children spoke some 9/10 year old who went to Mullaloo and all said it was excellent. Anyway, my lot seem really happy with Ocean Reef so all we need to do know is find a house !!!
My 3 are at Ocean Reef too. They're pretty happy there although they are well behind where they would be in the UK.

Staff seem OK and professional.
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 3:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

Lynne,

Don't worry we did the same, came over & spent a couple of weeks looking at schools & areas until we found schools we liked. Have to say a lot of the primary schools seemed fine it was the High schools we weren't too keen on.
In the end we found two schools which we're happy with so far, although as Renth said the kids are way behind where they were in the UK.

Loopy
Old Nov 24th 2003, 8:59 pm
Just Joined

sgtPommie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Perth Schools

Does anyone have a copy of the research that Finch did on schools? I asked a while back but go no response.

If anyone has it could they send it to me at [email protected].

Thanks

Steve
Old Nov 25th 2003, 1:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Grub is an unknown quantity at this point

My little 'angel' is due to start at Padbury in Feb (primary) and have no real knowledge of it as far as reputation. He is at Duncraig at the mo but that's out of our catchment. Anyone shed any light? Am going for a tour on Weds morning.
Cheers
Grub
(now mother of two!!)