Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth renting - Best areas for under 30's

Perth renting - Best areas for under 30's

Old May 5th 2006, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

camel80 is just really nicecamel80 is just really nicecamel80 is just really nicecamel80 is just really nicecamel80 is just really nicecamel80 is just really nicecamel80 is just really nicecamel80 is just really nice
Default Perth renting - Best areas for under 30's

Ok. I know this has been covered in some other threads, but the people asking these questions normally have kids.

I'm moving to Perth from the UK with my girlfriend in a few months. We will both be working in the city and are looking into renting a place which is preferably not part of an apartment complex. We thought the north of the city across to the west was the best option due to the good transport to the city, nightlife and beaches.
We're both under 30 with no kids so we're just looking for a nice area where we can walk to good shops, bars and places to eat. Regarding rent we will probably be looking at $300 - 400 a week which is the equivalent to what we pay in the UK. It didn't take me long to realise that rental prices are lower in Perth.

I'd be grateful if anyone can recommend certain areas or give me some feedback on their experiences.

Thanks very much for the help,

Cheers
Old May 5th 2006, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

geordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth renting - Best areas for under 30's

Originally Posted by camel80
Ok. I know this has been covered in some other threads, but the people asking these questions normally have kids.

I'm moving to Perth from the UK with my girlfriend in a few months. We will both be working in the city and are looking into renting a place which is preferably not part of an apartment complex. We thought the north of the city across to the west was the best option due to the good transport to the city, nightlife and beaches.
We're both under 30 with no kids so we're just looking for a nice area where we can walk to good shops, bars and places to eat. Regarding rent we will probably be looking at $300 - 400 a week which is the equivalent to what we pay in the UK. It didn't take me long to realise that rental prices are lower in Perth.

I'd be grateful if anyone can recommend certain areas or give me some feedback on their experiences.

Cheers
Leederville,Victoria Park,Fremantle,Subiaco,Scarboro.Bars are usually a long distance apart unless you live close to Northbridge,Perth is not the livliest place on the planet.
Old May 5th 2006, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Has to be Leederville, Subi, Freo or West Perth.
Most of the other suburbs are quite quiet and you might find yourselves bored.
Old May 5th 2006, 12:46 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
Has to be Leederville, Subi, Freo or West Perth.
Most of the other suburbs are quite quiet and you might find yourselves bored.
Yep, above. But Subi and West Perth will be mainly appartment complexes.
Also look at Mt Hawthorn (if you like the look of the Paddo, though the crowd seemed quite young) and North Perth (you'd be near Mt Hawthorn and Leederville, and Northbridge pretty close too.

And look at Mt Lawley.

Problem is, there is not much available at all in these suburbs, houses are scarce, prices are up....

If you want a house, and for that price, in these suburbs... just be prepared that they'll be a bit older.
(we lived in Mt Hawthorn for a year, in a little(ehh, 3 bedrooms, but still very tiny), old 1950's house). It was fine, close enough to everything for us, though not really walkable to anything much(we biked anyway), and we don't go out to pubs/bars that much, so didn't really need to be too close to those(went to the Paddo maybe 4 times in a year). EDIT: that was 200 a week, but that was 6 months ago, things have definetly changed!

Good luck

check out www.realestate.com.au

Last edited by Simone; May 5th 2006 at 12:50 pm.
Old May 5th 2006, 12:55 pm
Just Joined

leighdamien is an unknown quantity at this point

without a doubt subiaco is the place to be. Perth is kind of small and the social aspect is limited so you totally need to be in the the thick of things. We moved there from London and would hve gone mad if we had lived further out. Subi is great as it has loads of restaurants and pubs and it is on the edge of the free transport zone so you have no costs to get to work (unbelievable huh). We rented an older house for $250 a week but talking to friends you can get some good places for not much more. If you can't get the Kings Park end of Subi my bet would be on Shenton Park rather than heading out the other side to Leederville.

Good luck but don't be persuaded to move further out.

Cheers
Old May 5th 2006, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

camel80 is just really nicecamel80 is just really nicecamel80 is just really nicecamel80 is just really nicecamel80 is just really nicecamel80 is just really nicecamel80 is just really nicecamel80 is just really nice

Originally Posted by leighdamien
without a doubt subiaco is the place to be. Perth is kind of small and the social aspect is limited so you totally need to be in the the thick of things. We moved there from London and would hve gone mad if we had lived further out. Subi is great as it has loads of restaurants and pubs and it is on the edge of the free transport zone so you have no costs to get to work (unbelievable huh). We rented an older house for $250 a week but talking to friends you can get some good places for not much more. If you can't get the Kings Park end of Subi my bet would be on Shenton Park rather than heading out the other side to Leederville.

Cheers
Guys this is fantastic. Thanks very much for all your feedback. I have been looking at Subiaco, especially since i'll be working in west perth. I thought the rent was quite high in Subiaco after seeing the realestate website. Eitherway, i guess there are loads of bargins once i trawl round the rental agencies once out there.

Thanks again for the help. Much appreciated.
Cheers
Old May 5th 2006, 1:00 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leighdamien

Cheers
Yes, thinking about it a bit more, Subi would be better than Leederville. Especially for people in their high 20's instead of very low 20's(I think the Leederville Hotel has a very young crowd too).
And Subi will have more choice of stuff.

I prefer Freo myself(I guess I'm more the blues&roots music and second hand shops and stuff like that type (wannabe hippy, though definetly not though, ha ha!), but that'd be a bit further from work.

argh, I was going to stop looking at the forum tonight!!
Good night!
Old May 5th 2006, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by camel80

Cheers
Hi, my son and his girlfriend live in Mt Lawley, he goes to Uni there, do you have anybody here to help. if not im sure Kerry and Scott would be a great help.
They where billy no mates, met another young couple on here who they get on well with.
If you want i can give you their email address. let me Know
They are 23, Love soccer, that wigan pier music stuff, and we are from sunny Morecambe, they have been here since January.
Denise
Old May 21st 2006, 1:35 am
zeoldyank

On Fri, 05 May 2006 09:26:14 +0000, camel80
<member46187@british_expats.com> wrote in
<[email protected]> :

|>
    |>Ok. I know this has been covered in some other threads, but the people
    |>asking these questions normally have kids.
    |>
    |>I'm moving to Perth from the UK with my girlfriend in a few months. We
    |>will both be working in the city and are looking into renting a place
    |>which is preferably not part of an apartment complex. We thought the
    |>north of the city across to the west was the best option due to the good
    |>transport to the city, nightlife and beaches.
    |>We're both under 30 with no kids so we're just looking for a nice area
    |>where we can walk to good shops, bars and places to eat. Regarding rent
    |>we will probably be looking at $300 - 400 a week which is the equivalent
    |>to what we pay in the UK. It didn't take me long to realise that rental
    |>prices are lower in Perth.
    |>
    |>I'd be grateful if anyone can recommend certain areas or give me some
    |>feedback on their experiences.
    |>
    |>Thanks very much for the help,
    |>
    |>Cheers

Well, am in Sydney, haven't been in Perth for decades, but why
not search the Internet on Google to get an idea from agents or
newspaper classifieds?

In Sydney, most of the classified rental ads appear in the Sydney
Morning Herald on a Saturday morning, and don't know if the same
applies there.

However, realize that Australia is ten hours ahead of GMT, and it
is 10:30 AM Sunday here as I write these lines.

try
http://www.domain.com.au/real-estate...id=69001&ads=0

or
http://tinyurl.com/qtwwf

if Google using string

perth australia rentals newspaper classified

will get you about 285,000 returns

If have a Perth map, following site looks pretty good
http://www.domain.com.au/Public/Choo...ads=0&state=WA

For anywhere in Australia, try
http://www.domain.com.au/Public/Adva...id=68991&ads=0

Cheers,