Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth Rental Market

Perth Rental Market

Old Aug 25th 2012, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

DanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond repute
Default Perth Rental Market

Just wondering...as a % of your salary (before tax) how much do you spend on your property (if you rent)? Trying to sort somewhere out and trying to work out my realistic budget.
Old Aug 25th 2012, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Perth Rental Market

Thought about a house share until you get your figures in order? My house share is 150 p/w including all bills! And full Foxtel in my room! Always worth a go!
Old Aug 26th 2012, 6:22 am
Bright in Orange

Scotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DanSolihull
Just wondering...as a % of your salary (before tax) how much do you spend on your property (if you rent)? Trying to sort somewhere out and trying to work out my realistic budget.
Some rental agents here use a 30% affordability figure. When I lived in the UK that was also the magic figure used by housing organisations to define "affordability" .
However it is a bit similar to the length of a piece of string, but agencies may not consider you if the rent is more than 50-60% of gross income. Depends on your other commitments, how important certain feature are etc.
Go with 30% to start and see what that will get you
Old Aug 26th 2012, 6:50 am
Forum Regular

DanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
Thought about a house share until you get your figures in order? My house share is 150 p/w including all bills! And full Foxtel in my room! Always worth a go!
I had looked on Gumtree and went to view one but the owner just messed me around so lost trust in it. Where did you find your place?
Old Aug 26th 2012, 1:18 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Really depends on how much you earn where you want to live.
We rented in Hillarys, Perth for the past 5 years.... 4-5 bed, we were paying $650.00 per week, just around the corner (next to the ocean) expect $900 - $1000 per week.

Our friend lives in Woodvale, Perth (next to sought after school) her rent has just gone up to from $425 to $475.00 per week, small 3 bed villa.

A lot will depend on how much you earn, $500.00 per week is not unrealistic, but if you long to be near the beach, pool, theatre room etc etc expect a lot more.

Do you have kids? If yes..... My advice, rent in the catchment area of a good school.

I know it's hard if you don't know the areas, but use www.realestate.com.au and check out the rentals. You will then at least get to see what you will get (depending on locations) for $400, $500, $600 etc etc
Old Aug 26th 2012, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

I had looked on Gumtree and went to view one but the owner just messed me around so lost trust in it. Where did you find your place?
Gumtree has a lot of fraud. If you are unsure of what you are doing its best to go through an agent.

Beware that you could find yourself competing with lots of people for the same place.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 2:02 am
Forum Regular

nicolac34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Our rent is 17% of our combined take home pay in Perth.

Or 13% of our gross (before tax) pay.

Last edited by nicolac34; Aug 27th 2012 at 2:05 am.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 3:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Bibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud of

Depends on what you want, and what you earn.

If you are on a lower salary, it'll (generally) be a bigger %age.

My mortgage will be about 17% of the wifes and my combined income (our rental was a bit cheaper).
Old Aug 27th 2012, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

chrisall is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
Hi, what area are you staying in?

I'm with relatives for the short term but definitely looking for a house share, within walking distance of a railway stn and no more than 30mins commute to CBD by train.

Cheers,
Chrisall
Old Aug 28th 2012, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

LeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really nice

18% of Gross, only me earning in our household.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 9:09 am
Just Joined

karim_mo is an unknown quantity at this point

Scary, 30.8% after tax