Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Perth really that dangerous?

Is Perth really that dangerous?

Old Nov 24th 2008, 11:05 pm
k76
Forum Regular

k76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nice
Default Re: Is Perth really that dangerous?

Having lived in Perth in 2001-2002 and now in Lake Macquarie NSW for two years I would say there is a difference with regards to break ins. My theory is that breaking in is always going to be easy, and the police will never be able to be everywhere. I think the market for stolen goods is the driver. At least when I lived there you had all these used goods shops, cash converters etc. When my bike got stolen I found it in the shop a week later, 200m from where I lived.
You just don't see these shops to the same extent elsewhere. Where I live now (NSW) you have the salvo's selling used stuff, and a few garage sales but that's it! I haven't heard of any break ins in my neighbourhood, doesn't seem to be an issue
Old Nov 25th 2008, 12:05 am
Forum Regular

lovelyshine is a jewel in the roughlovelyshine is a jewel in the roughlovelyshine is a jewel in the roughlovelyshine is a jewel in the roughlovelyshine is a jewel in the rough

I wanted to say that there isn't crime "everywhere". I have lived where I lived all my life and have never experienced any crime personally. So there are countries with almost zero crime. Don't ask me why I'm moving from a place with almost no crime to a place that has crime though. I just wanted to point out that there are extremely safe places out there, but safety is not a priority right now. Pace of life is. So I will have to stop taking things for granted and be more street smart when I move.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 2:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daddyofthree
When talking about Perth are we looking at the city ctr or does this include places like Rockigham, Port Kennedy and Secret Harbour which look very nice. I think Perth and WA tend to be classed as the same place. There are also lovely places north of Perth which also look very nice and I would expect would receive very little trouble
What is usually meant is the entire metropolitan area.I lot of areas can look harmless enough but it is hard to say.
Rockingham can be dodgy at night, a lot is caused by people coming from out side into the area but any where can be.
Things are seldom what they appear and anywhere after dark i would suggest any female to remain very vigilant if out alone..just remember few local females would do so.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 2:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snoo
We are flying out this Saturday for 2wks..staying Nr. Hillary's and in Rockingham for a wk each.
I'm not nieve by any means...and I can stand up for myself (although it's generally a knee jerk reaction to a situation rather than rationally thought out...like the time we had burglars in the house and I was alone in bed! It seemed like a good idea at the time to jump out of bed...grab a pole that happened to be at the side of the bed and rush down the stairs screaming that I was going to kill the burglars (with my pole!)....thank GOD they'd already made off with my broken video player...HA!
Anyway...I digress...as I was saying...not nieve BUT we were really hoping that Perth would be somewhat less intimidating than here in grotty Blackburn. My 15yr old Daughter was attacked by over 20 young lads RIGHT outside our house a few wks ago, we happened to be at the hospital and my spineless neighbour (who is Maddy's GODMOTHER)...came out and looked...then went back inside! Luckily Maddy recognised some of the lads and they've been arrested. She can't leave the house without being followed or almost being dragged into a car by an Asian man who had been stalking young girls!!
But I really did hope that MY children and THEIR children (if they have any...eeww!!) will have a better and safer life in Australia.
Well....we can hopefully try to get a feel for the place next week!
Lisa,x
Certainly should be a few giant steps up from Blackburn for sure.
Always good to be a little aware, but sure you will all be fine.
Very best of luck here and do keep us up to speed on progress reports
Old Nov 25th 2008, 6:14 am
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
I heard the murder rate is even worse than Bogotá, Columbia...
Yeah and I've heard that there are gangs of feral teenagers in hoodies roaming the streets looking to stab and deface people for no other reason than sheer boredom.

...oh wait, that's England

The only thing that will kill you in Perth is boredom and stoned West Coast Eagles players in fast cars
Old Nov 25th 2008, 9:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bigAPE
Yeah and I've heard that there are gangs of feral teenagers in hoodies roaming the streets looking to stab and deface people for no other reason than sheer boredom.

The only thing that will kill you in Perth is boredom and stoned West Coast Eagles players in fast cars
Can be a problem(boredom)quite fatal in fact.You have been warned.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 12:10 pm
Just Joined

Barkers is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Can be a problem(boredom)quite fatal in fact.You have been warned.
I heard the sharks can come right up the beach and get you in the shops!!!!!! Oh, the horror!
Old Nov 25th 2008, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

JAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Barkers
I heard the sharks can come right up the beach and get you in the shops!!!!!! Oh, the horror!
no thats not true!!

its the drop bears you should be worried about!!
Old Nov 25th 2008, 12:56 pm
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAMMIE DODGER
no thats not true!!

its the drop bears you should be worried about!!

I once saw a dropbear drop on a shark that had sneaked up the beach after an unassuming newcomer to Perth - the mess was horrendous!
Old Nov 25th 2008, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

snoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant future

Now SHARKS really are something that worries me!! So stop it now because I really am a NERVOUS WREAK!!
I once battered my husband senseless because he threw me off a banana boat in the middle of the sea in the Dominican and I don't think there's been many reported shark attacks there!!
I'll be checking the villa pool as soon as we get there!
Snakes...all fine...spiders...yep no problem! Something moves near me in the water...heartattack! Gonner!!
Lisa,x
Old Nov 25th 2008, 9:03 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barkers
If you think that is bad, two weeks ago in our local park a gang of magpies were sat by the fence.

Wearing leather jackets and tight jeans, they were all smoking and drinking beer. Crushed beer cans lay all over the floor and some of the magpies had their wings down the female magpies tops.

One female magpie whom I heard the male magpie call 'Brenda', looked in my direction and said 'Oi, London bitch, give us ya cash'

There were loads of them all swearing and that. Even the galahs and cockatoos sat from a safe distance shaking their heads in disapproval.

'I haven't got any money' I stammered and put my head down and carried on walking.

Brenda flew after me and pecked me on the back and said 'If you don't give us what you've got then you are in for a bashing'.

It was no good, I had to give them what little I had on me and 'Nobby' the head magpie still slapped me about a bit while Brenda the magpie filmed it on her mobile.

The bullying hasn't stopped there - a gang of them have found out where I live and have taken to sitting on the fence and yelling abuse at my Kelpie dog calling him a 'big eared bastard'.

They also have started to flash their willies at me and draw magpie like graffiti on my fence.

Had I known about the violence of the magpies I would never have moved here.

Old Nov 26th 2008, 2:25 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Now this I am interested in, seriously. I wonder if you would mind giving us a brief outline of what you do in Victoria that prevents you from dying of boredom that can't be done in WA?
Old Nov 26th 2008, 8:25 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snoo
Now SHARKS really are something that worries me!! So stop it now because I really am a NERVOUS WREAK!!
I once battered my husband senseless because he threw me off a banana boat in the middle of the sea in the Dominican and I don't think there's been many reported shark attacks there!!
I'll be checking the villa pool as soon as we get there!
Snakes...all fine...spiders...yep no problem! Something moves near me in the water...heartattack! Gonner!!
Lisa,x
There are in fact lots of sharks in the waters off the Dominican Republic. Just as there are lots of sharks in the waters off Australia. Do a little research to see how many people are actually attacked by sharks in the waters off WA and you will see that you are more likely to be killed in a car accident than be bitten by a shark. Literally 10's of thousands of people swim on our beaches every year.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

snoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Dorothy
There are in fact lots of sharks in the waters off the Dominican Republic. Just as there are lots of sharks in the waters off Australia. Do a little research to see how many people are actually attacked by sharks in the waters off WA and you will see that you are more likely to be killed in a car accident than be bitten by a shark. Literally 10's of thousands of people swim on our beaches every year.
Well I don't believe you Dorothy regarding the sharks off the Dominican because me Husband PROMISED that there was no sea-life AT ALL in the Dominican.... Haha!
And as for sharks in Oz....well I'm sorry but they WILL find me and they WILL eat me....and I'm even worried they'll hunt me down in the shopping center now!!

Seriously though...I know it's a MAJOR irrational fear...but since being a child I've been absolutely fascinated by sharks and watch or reading anything I can get my hands on! Which to be honest doesn't help with my fear at all. I think when I'm diving or snorkeling it's the quiet eeriness of the sea that makes the fear more intense...then from far far away you start to hear Da-Da-da-da (no jokes...that DOES sound like the theme to Jaws...well to me it does!!)
Actually the worst thing to ever chase us in the water was a big brown 'fish'...commonly known as a 'floater'! Eeww! Couldn't get away from the damn thing!
We've had a very curious Barracuda follow us around for a while too!

Well I'll be bringing my Binoculors...and I'll secrectly be very gutted NOT to see a shark!!

3 days to go! Much Love, Lisa,x
Old Nov 26th 2008, 2:09 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Have you heard the term "Sarcastic" ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.