Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Perth really that dangerous?

Is Perth really that dangerous?

Old Nov 12th 2008, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

cockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant future
Default Re: Is Perth really that dangerous?

Originally Posted by ponyrama
Utter poppycock. The WA burglary rate for 2007 was 13.69 per thousand head of population, the NSW rate for 2007 was 6.9 per thousand head of population. The average UK burglary rate for 2007 was 13.1 per thousand population with most major towns and cities having a rate in the low twenties if not higher. So ner!
according to who tho?
all these surveys contradict each other
but what i do know is that in oz it's so easy to break into a house without being noticed
bungalows,no double glazing, police and courts r incredibly soft, houses r detached
most stats today point out oz being far worse for break ins
Old Nov 12th 2008, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

cockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ponyrama
Yes I guess but then by the same token most of the UK has a considerably higher burglary rate than NSW - and the point I was making was that Australia does not have the "worst burglary in the western world by miles" as whoever it was said - it has a comparable one with UK at worst.
how do u know this?
check out nationmaster
it's so much easier to commit burglary in oz - houses r a soft touch and the streets r absolutely deserted(no witnesses) not to mention the lackn of cameras
Old Nov 12th 2008, 11:03 am
BE Enthusiast

philnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud of

I once had to break in to our house in OZ, it took me all of 20 seconds, I couldnt believe how easy it was, no noise no damage.

In my opinion the windows I have come across are of poor design and arent that good when it comes to detering a burglar. I have fitted many windows in the uk including making buildings secure so I know what is required. I havent seen all the designs of windows used in OZ but the one I have seen are so easy to break in to.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 2:40 pm
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cockney pommy
how do u know this?
check out nationmaster
it's so much easier to commit burglary in oz - houses r a soft touch and the streets r absolutely deserted(no witnesses) not to mention the lackn of cameras
I know this because i have access to national and international crime statistics as part of my (soon to be ex) job. The figures I quoted are the official BOSCAR and Home Office stats.

To be honest makes no odds to me - just think people should take all stats with a pinch of salt and shouldnt cast wide ranging aspersions on the back of them. One mans crime free haven is another mans whatever........ .. its all relative.
Old Nov 21st 2008, 5:50 am
Forum Regular

sidneee and kinnyboy is just really nicesidneee and kinnyboy is just really nicesidneee and kinnyboy is just really nicesidneee and kinnyboy is just really nicesidneee and kinnyboy is just really nicesidneee and kinnyboy is just really nicesidneee and kinnyboy is just really nicesidneee and kinnyboy is just really nicesidneee and kinnyboy is just really nicesidneee and kinnyboy is just really nicesidneee and kinnyboy is just really nice

Have just read all these posts with interest as i have just got a job that is shift work and will involve coming back from perth at 11pm at least once a week. My partner (who was fine with me meandering all over London at silly o'clock) is worried and is saying that Perth is dangerous. We have only been here 6 weeks and everyone we meet says that is so and its freaking me out. He says the paper shows terrible crime statistics, particularly personal attacks (we have already seen a woman being violently punched by her 'bloke' in the middle of the day in Freo!) and he heard someone disabled was battered a few doors down from where he works!
So is it all negativity, not much happens so everything is reported or is it really South Central LA? I dont want to be scared to go out after dark!!! I have walked around New York at night on my own!!! Maybe because there is just so many people on the streets. Its the getting to the stations late at night and waiting on the platforms that worry me! So few people out and about.
Also, aggressive behaviour seems to be very common in Perth. Why is that?
Is the law here really softly, softly?
Old Nov 21st 2008, 5:57 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sidneee and kinnyboy
I reckon it's because there are so many people who use "ice" (methamphetamine) in Perth, it's an epidemic.
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 7:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sidneee and kinnyboy
Have just read all these posts with interest as i have just got a job that is shift work and will involve coming back from perth at 11pm at least once a week. My partner (who was fine with me meandering all over London at silly o'clock) is worried and is saying that Perth is dangerous. We have only been here 6 weeks and everyone we meet says that is so and its freaking me out. He says the paper shows terrible crime statistics, particularly personal attacks (we have already seen a woman being violently punched by her 'bloke' in the middle of the day in Freo!) and he heard someone disabled was battered a few doors down from where he works!
So is it all negativity, not much happens so everything is reported or is it really South Central LA? I dont want to be scared to go out after dark!!! I have walked around New York at night on my own!!! Maybe because there is just so many people on the streets. Its the getting to the stations late at night and waiting on the platforms that worry me! So few people out and about.
Is the law here really softly, softly?
Besides a few central areas few people walk on the streets after dark(or any time for that matter)in Perth.
As for the train try and board the carriage where the security are located and you should not have a problem.
Just pay attention to whose on the platform while waiting for the train if at all feel uneasy wait until train is approaching before venturing on to platform..
Midland and Armadale lines can at times be or appear a little dodgy.
Try and ensure that you are picked up at other end without the need to have to wait around.
Good luck
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 10:23 am
UK-Syd Feb 2009 = HAPPY!

lerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to all

Hi all,

This is more of a general input as I haven't been to Perth myself. But I have been a victim of serious crime and my advice to all would be - sometimes, it just isn't worth taking the risk. At the same time, we should not be forced to hide away because of these things.

I was attacked and nearly killed in a vicious assault walking home in the middle of the day in South Africa (yes - i know, dangerous country, but we lived in the safest little village with NO crime whatsoever for 37 yrs prior).

If you feel it is unsafe, don't do it. If you feel fine doing something and general advice tells you it is safe, then don't be stopped because of crime.

It's a horrible thing and that's why I say it isn't worth the risk in that my life has changed forever. But I'm adamant that we shouldn't succumb to it where we have every right to walk and feel safe.

Probably doesn't make any sense, and kind of contradictory in itself, but I hope you guys know what I mean...

lerato
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

daddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to all

When talking about Perth are we looking at the city ctr or does this include places like Rockigham, Port Kennedy and Secret Harbour which look very nice. I think Perth and WA tend to be classed as the same place. There are also lovely places north of Perth which also look very nice and I would expect would receive very little trouble
Old Nov 24th 2008, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

snoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant future

We are flying out this Saturday for 2wks..staying Nr. Hillary's and in Rockingham for a wk each.
I'm not nieve by any means...and I can stand up for myself (although it's generally a knee jerk reaction to a situation rather than rationally thought out...like the time we had burglars in the house and I was alone in bed! It seemed like a good idea at the time to jump out of bed...grab a pole that happened to be at the side of the bed and rush down the stairs screaming that I was going to kill the burglars (with my pole!)....thank GOD they'd already made off with my broken video player...HA!
Anyway...I digress...as I was saying...not nieve BUT we were really hoping that Perth would be somewhat less intimidating than here in grotty Blackburn. My 15yr old Daughter was attacked by over 20 young lads RIGHT outside our house a few wks ago, we happened to be at the hospital and my spineless neighbour (who is Maddy's GODMOTHER)...came out and looked...then went back inside! Luckily Maddy recognised some of the lads and they've been arrested. She can't leave the house without being followed or almost being dragged into a car by an Asian man who had been stalking young girls!!
But I really did hope that MY children and THEIR children (if they have any...eeww!!) will have a better and safer life in Australia.
Well....we can hopefully try to get a feel for the place next week!
Lisa,x
Old Nov 24th 2008, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

carolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nice

But I really did hope that MY children and THEIR children (if they have any...eeww!!) will have a better and safer life in Australia.
Well....we can hopefully try to get a feel for the place next week!
Lisa,x[/QUOTE]

I think what you have to bear in mind is that there is crime EVERYWHERE. We lived in Secret Harbour for 2 years and didn't see any crime but did in Fremantle, Rockingham, Port Kennedy and Perth City Centre. Perth has it's problems same as everywhere else, it is just not as in your face. Be realistic, it is not eutopia. It is, however, a beautiful place. Good luck with your reccie.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

snoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant future

I think what you have to bear in mind is that there is crime EVERYWHERE. We lived in Secret Harbour for 2 years and didn't see any crime but did in Fremantle, Rockingham, Port Kennedy and Perth City Centre. Perth has it's problems same as everywhere else, it is just not as in your face. Be realistic, it is not eutopia. It is, however, a beautiful place. Good luck with your reccie.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the 'good luck'....I know that there's crime everywhere...we had a villa in Cyprus for a few years and had a 'run in' with some Mafia types...this is a tale we dine out on....this sweaty vodka drinking slimeball was trying to 'steal' me!! Ha ha..I know!! Paul told him we were married and this guy told Paul he was still 'having me'!! Ended up outside this bar with this guy threatening to 'cut' Paul's 'hands off'...and we knew he meant it because he was brandishing a butcher's knife and had another down the back of his trousers!!

God!! Always happens to us doesn't it!! Haha! Anyway...we live to tell another tale!!

Lisa,x
Old Nov 24th 2008, 4:13 pm
Just Joined

gungerdin has a brilliant futuregungerdin has a brilliant futuregungerdin has a brilliant futuregungerdin has a brilliant futuregungerdin has a brilliant futuregungerdin has a brilliant future

I think what you have to bear in mind is that there is crime EVERYWHERE. We lived in Secret Harbour for 2 years and didn't see any crime but did in Fremantle, Rockingham, Port Kennedy and Perth City Centre. Perth has it's problems same as everywhere else, it is just not as in your face. Be realistic, it is not eutopia. It is, however, a beautiful place. Good luck with your reccie.[/QUOTE]

We too are doing a reckie in Secret Harbour and others next year. Were staying in Port Kennedy for a week. what was your experience of crime there? Also does anyone have any comments abbout Saftey bay, Waikiki and Warnbro
Old Nov 24th 2008, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

toan is a name known to alltoan is a name known to alltoan is a name known to alltoan is a name known to alltoan is a name known to alltoan is a name known to alltoan is a name known to alltoan is a name known to alltoan is a name known to alltoan is a name known to alltoan is a name known to all

We stayed in Waikiki in may no problems at all.We all walked to the garage and back to pick up a some things at night a few times and we never saw anybody. Even played footy with my son on the school grass at night because it was all lit up,still never saw a sole.It seemed safe as houses to us,but we was only there for 2 weeks.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

carolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nice

We too are doing a reckie in Secret Harbour and others next year. Were staying in Port Kennedy for a week. what was your experience of crime there? Also does anyone have any comments abbout Saftey bay, Waikiki and Warnbro[/QUOTE]

It all depends on what you want. We liked the surroundings of Secret Harbour as opposed to some parts of Port Kennedy, Waikiki and Warnbro. There was a bloke beat up nearly killed while we were there BUT this could happen anywhere. Have a drive around after dark. You will notice the difference in parts of Port Kennedy, there are some lovely parts and some not, just like any other suburb. My OH's job was in Rockingham and thus the reason we lived in Secret Harbour. Beautiful surroundings built around the golf course. Go to the local shopping malls in the area you want to live in. YOu will get a good idea of the kind of neighbours, good and bad. My ten year old nearly got beat up by some not so friendly locals in MacDonalds in Rockingham. Again, it's happening everywhere. Don't be fooled by the beautiful surroundings, you will come across crime no matter what suburb in whatever city. Be realistic and do your homework.

Good luck to you whatever you decide.

Carol xx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.