Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Perth really that dangerous?

Is Perth really that dangerous?

Old Nov 6th 2008, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

carolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nice
Default Re: Is Perth really that dangerous?

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
Well I've never been one of the people who says that Perth (WA) is crime free, far from it in fact as we've been the victim of crime 9 times since living here. But, I have never walked around the city at night and not felt safe. I am 5' 3" and quite small framed so I suppose an attacker, mugger etc. might believe they had a soft target, but only once have I been approached and that was by an aboriginal family who were drunk as skunks and demanded cigarettes. When I told them I didn't smoke, they demanded money and my mobile phone. I just told them where to get off and ran towards the station where I told the transport police what had just happened. I have to admit that I wouldn't travel alone on the train after rush hour and I wouldn't want my son to either, but Perth is no worse than anywhere else imo.
We were at a funeral in Fremantle and our car got smashed, bag nicked, 10 cars done at the same funeral. There is crime EVERYWHERE. I think it is maybe just not as in your face or as well reported as it is in the UK. Also, my 10 year old got verbally abused by a group of aboriginals in the toilets in MacDonalds. He was terrified! These things could happen anywhere in the world!
Old Nov 6th 2008, 8:44 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolwilk34
We were at a funeral in Fremantle and our car got smashed, bag nicked, 10 cars done at the same funeral. There is crime EVERYWHERE. I think it is maybe just not as in your face or as well reported as it is in the UK. Also, my 10 year old got verbally abused by a group of aboriginals in the toilets in MacDonalds. He was terrified! These things could happen anywhere in the world!
Exactly, isn't that what I said? We have also been the victim of crimes, some quite horrible here in Perth, but I don't wish to go into that.

Last edited by St.Georges Girl; Nov 6th 2008 at 9:29 am.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 8:56 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JRB
I remember taking my kids to a really small suburban playground in Carine opposite the schools and the lollipop lady actually came over to warn me that they shouldn't play in the sand as it was full of syringes. Nice.
I could tell you not to let your kids play in the parks in Suffolk because they're full of syringes, too.

Did you actually see any syringes in the sand?
Old Nov 6th 2008, 10:13 am
JRB
Forum Regular

JRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to behold

I have never seen a syringe in a park in Woodbridge, Suffolk and I didn't see one in Carine either. I don't know why the lollipop lady would say it if it wasn't true. I don't believe she would make a point of coming up to me and lying about this. I'm not accusing anyone in particular on this forum but it really annoys me that some people think Perth is a crime free utopia. Get real, it's the same as everywhere else with some areas more dodgy than others just like the UK. As the original thread was about trains in Perth, I personally believe yes the trains are well dodgy and in particular the train station at Perth after 5pm is a no go zone as far as I'm concerned just like some UK cities have dodgy places. As I said before there is a reason they have guards on the train and there is a reason why there is a police station at Perth. I would not recommend travelling on them at night. I think people moving to Perth need to be realistic and take off the rose tinted spectacles and realise it has the same problems as most westernised cities around the world. Actually,per head of population I I read once it may even have more crime than other Aus cities and it definately has a high home invasion rate.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

lovelyshine is a jewel in the roughlovelyshine is a jewel in the roughlovelyshine is a jewel in the roughlovelyshine is a jewel in the roughlovelyshine is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by JRB
I have never seen a syringe in a park in Woodbridge, Suffolk and I didn't see one in Carine either. I don't know why the lollipop lady would say it if it wasn't true. I don't believe she would make a point of coming up to me and lying about this. I'm not accusing anyone in particular on this forum but it really annoys me that some people think Perth is a crime free utopia. Get real, it's the same as everywhere else with some areas more dodgy than others just like the UK. As the original thread was about trains in Perth, I personally believe yes the trains are well dodgy and in particular the train station at Perth after 5pm is a no go zone as far as I'm concerned just like some UK cities have dodgy places. As I said before there is a reason they have guards on the train and there is a reason why there is a police station at Perth. I would not recommend travelling on them at night. I think people moving to Perth need to be realistic and take off the rose tinted spectacles and realise it has the same problems as most westernised cities around the world. Actually,per head of population I I read once it may even have more crime than other Aus cities and it definately has a high home invasion rate.
Thank you very much. I wanted to know about the truth and not have the impression that Perth is all rosey. In fact, I would rather hear all the negatives so I can be mentally prepared.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

wanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant future
Question Re: Is Perth really that dangerous?

So???

Please can you all list the bad area's and what's so bad about them?? so we can avoid them when we come over. (In your opinion of course and not to ofend anyone).
Old Nov 6th 2008, 7:27 pm
JRB
Forum Regular

JRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to behold

Ok in my opinion and hoping not to offend anyone I would say
Perth train station after 6pm
Some of the parks in the city and East Perth after 6pm

Mirrabooka
Warwick
Balga
Girrawheen
Kondoola (? I think)
Midland - alot of suburbs East of Perth didn't seem that great
Melville
Some parts of Victoria Park
Scarborough - hoon central
Armadale
Beechborough

Again, personal choice and I wouldn't say that I am an expert in these areas and I am sure there are nice pockets and I met some nice people who came from these suburbs. They are just areas I wouldn't want to live but as a returnee to the UK I wasn't keen on most suburbs over there! ~If we ever went back down under I would prefer New Zealand!
Old Nov 6th 2008, 11:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney, Australia, but home to EU in 2009 for good!
Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JRB

Mirrabooka
Warwick
Balga
Girrawheen
Kondoola (? I think)
Melville
Armadale
Beechborough

Again, personal choice and I wouldn't say that I am an expert in these areas and I am sure there are nice pockets and I met some nice people who came from these suburbs. They are just areas I wouldn't want to live but as a returnee to the UK I wasn't keen on most suburbs over there! ~If we ever went back down under I would prefer New Zealand!
Agree with all of them places, especially Perth Train station – even during the day you are guaranteed to be at least verbally abused by the natives.

I’d also add to the list:

Northbridge

Mikey
Old Nov 6th 2008, 11:58 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mikeyc
Agree with all of them places, especially Perth Train station – even during the day you are guaranteed to be at least verbally abused by the natives.

I’d also add to the list:

Northbridge

Mikey
I have never ever been abused at Perth station and when I finish work late, can be there as late as 11pm.

The only time I have ever been abused is by some Aboriginals at Freo station at around 7pm.

It really is no different to London, except in the evening there is at least a transit officer presence on the trains - which I never ever saw in London.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 2:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JRB

Mirrabooka
Warwick
Balga
Girrawheen
Kondoola (? I think)
Melville
Armadale
Beechborough

Not at all sure that NZ would be any better.Agree largely on Perth comments..Am personally thinking of trying Melbourne..visiting next Feb.
Did you check out East Coast when in OZ??
How is Suffolk these days?.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 7:10 am
JRB
Forum Regular

Suffolk is great. Not too keen on Ipswich but the rest of it is fantastic. As a kid I couldn't wait to get out of Suffolk but now I'm back I'm loving it. Loads to do. I really liked Sydney but when we moved out to Oz the house prices there were so expensive so we didn't move there. Melbourne was ok but for me it wouldn't be worth moving to the otherside of the world for! Same with Brisbane. I loved Byron Bay on the East coast too but wasn't really a realistic option for us to live there. At least on the East coast there is alot more places to go and there isn't that same feeling of isolation. I also like port Stephens and port macquarie. Wasn't too keen on Surfers paradise. Good luck with your move. I think it's always worth a go and I'd never discourage anyone moving over there as life is an adventure. I don't have any regrets about living there - I'd always had a thing about Australia- it wasn't all bad. I do have some good memories of the place and we made some nice friends and parts of Perth I love. I'm glad I did it but it has made me really appreciate the UK which I didn't before. Good luck with your move.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

cockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Mikeyc
It’s not just perception; it’s also down to the fact that it is simply safer walking around Sydney at night than it is in Perth. The reason is, Perth CBD is shut down at night, dead and dark, and it’s dangerous. Sydney at night has places open all day and night, 24 hour shops, clubs, resturants etc scattered all over the CBD, there are enough people walking around at night. If I’m walking home from a night out or back from a friends place, I walk down dark streets and shortcuts through the park in the CBD and I always feel safe. I have never once felt safe walking in Perth, even walking from the shops to my mum’s house out in the suburbs.

People talk about the “last train home” being really bad, I guess you don’t notice that here as in a sense there is no real “last train home” as soon as the train stops (about 1 – 2am) they have night rider buses which take people home, the buses run until the trains start again (about 5am). In Perth whenever I went out, if you didn’t make it for the last train home (about midnight – 1:30am) you got stuck in the city and it was impossible to get a taxi, so what are you suppose to do?

And about Perth having a burlgary problem, yes it does – it actually has the highest home burglary rate in the country.

Mikey
oz actually has the worst burglary rate in the western world - by miles
Old Nov 11th 2008, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

merleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to behold

no its not.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 2:18 pm
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cockney pommy
oz actually has the worst burglary rate in the western world - by miles
Utter poppycock. The WA burglary rate for 2007 was 13.69 per thousand head of population, the NSW rate for 2007 was 6.9 per thousand head of population. The average UK burglary rate for 2007 was 13.1 per thousand population with most major towns and cities having a rate in the low twenties if not higher. So ner!
Old Nov 11th 2008, 8:29 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ponyrama
Utter poppycock. The WA burglary rate for 2007 was 13.69 per thousand head of population, the NSW rate for 2007 was 6.9 per thousand head of population. The average UK burglary rate for 2007 was 13.1 per thousand population with most major towns and cities having a rate in the low twenties if not higher. So ner!
So....using your figures most of the UK has a lower burglary rate then WA.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.