Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth or Queensland

Perth or Queensland

Old Oct 4th 2006, 4:15 am
Forum Regular

Ant & Kev has a brilliant futureAnt & Kev has a brilliant futureAnt & Kev has a brilliant futureAnt & Kev has a brilliant futureAnt & Kev has a brilliant futureAnt & Kev has a brilliant future
Smile Perth or Queensland

HI

We have been in Perth for 7 weeks(approx) now and have found myself wondering whether or not we chose the right place . Don't get me wrong I think it is lovely here but not as cheap as i thought, both shopping and property compared to salary means that we will still struggle. Also hubbys work is not what he thought it would be and it is about 20years behind the UK (mechanic)

I have heard that Queensland is cheaper now than it is here and just as nice, can anyone enlighten me on their opinions please.

Are the parks and beaches as nice there as they are here?
What is the crime rate like there?
Is the property good value for money?

Hope some people can forward their opinions as i feel a little down and not sure what we should do.

HELP!!!

Thanks

Antoinette
Old Oct 4th 2006, 4:18 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth or Queensland

Originally Posted by Ant & Kev
HI

We have been in Perth for 7 weeks(approx) now and have found myself wondering whether or not we chose the right place . Don't get me wrong I think it is lovely here but not as cheap as i thought, both shopping and property compared to salary means that we will still struggle. Also hubbys work is not what he thought it would be and it is about 20years behind the UK (mechanic)

I have heard that Queensland is cheaper now than it is here and just as nice, can anyone enlighten me on their opinions please.

Hope some people can forward their opinions as i feel a little down and not sure what we should do.

HELP!!!

Thanks

Antoinette
Give it a bit longer than 7 weeks - I wouldn't have thought that the work would be much different in Qnlnd. Shopping will be similar in price - house prices will be better value though.
Old Oct 4th 2006, 4:42 am
Banned

MD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud of

HI

HELP!!!

Thanks

Antoinette

Please don’t jump on the Brisbane bandwagon. House prices in Brissie are less, but so are salaries. It all works out in the wash imo.

I wouldn’t bother with Brisbane, if the “20 years” behind the UK is a major concern of yours, as Brisbane isn’t any better in this regard. In some ways it can be worse i.e racism etc.

If you are serious about the move, I’d suggest Melbourne. It’s a world class city, with more culture, better climate, great work opportunity and yet is still affordable. Melbourne people are also alot more welcoming to outsiders. Brisbane folk have their little "click" of friends who they met way back when at primary school.

The humidity in Brisbane is a killer too – you won’t believe how bad it gets until you’ve lived a summer through it. Give it a month or two and you will see all the Brisbane Bandwagon on here complaining about it. It's almost like they weren't aware of it before moving.

Also, keep in mind, Brisbane is set to overtake Melbourne population wise in the next 20 yrs. Problem is, Brisbane is very slow with improving infrastructure. Their health system is already failing its citizens with no hope in sight. Traffic congestion is building, & serious crime such as murder is on the rise.

You watch, QLD state taxes will increase substantially over coming years to cover increasing costs associated with the influx of people i.e police/teachers/nurses etc. I've already seen the QLD premier on tele complaining about NSW residents moving up there and using their services, which is funny considering he was down here in Sydney not long ago trying to poach skilled workers at a careers expo. It’s also very hypocritical considering he was Born in Sydney. It would be like PM Blair complaining about all the Scots in London, obviosuly being Scottish and all.

Seems as though they want the skilled workers, but they're not prepared to accomodate them.

Last edited by MD09; Oct 4th 2006 at 5:11 am.
Old Oct 4th 2006, 5:17 am
Forum Regular

Ant & Kev has a brilliant futureAnt & Kev has a brilliant futureAnt & Kev has a brilliant futureAnt & Kev has a brilliant futureAnt & Kev has a brilliant futureAnt & Kev has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by MD09
Please don’t jump on the Brisbane bandwagon. House prices in Brissie are less, but so are salaries. It all works out in the wash imo.

I wouldn’t bother with Brisbane, if the “20 years” behind the UK is a major concern of yours, as Brisbane isn’t any better in this regard. In some ways it can be worse i.e racism etc.

If you are serious about the move, I’d suggest Melbourne. It’s a world class city, with more culture, better climate, great work opportunity and yet is still affordable. Melbourne people are also alot more welcoming to outsiders. Brisbane folk have their little "click" of friends who they met way back when at primary school.

The humidity in Brisbane is a killer too – you won’t believe how bad it gets until you’ve lived a summer through it. Give it a month or two and you will see all the Brisbane Bandwagon on here complaining about it. It's almost like they weren't aware of it before moving.

Also, keep in mind, Brisbane is set to overtake Melbourne population wise in the next 20 yrs. Problem is, Brisbane is very slow with improving infrastructure. Their health system is already failing its citizens with no hope in sight. Traffic congestion is building, & serious crime such as murder is on the rise.

You watch, QLD state taxes will increase substantially over coming years to cover increasing costs associated with the influx of people i.e police/teachers/nurses etc. I've already seen the QLD premier on tele complaining about NSW residents moving up there and using their services, which is funny considering he was down here in Sydney not long ago trying to poach skilled workers at a careers expo. It’s also very hypocritical considering he was Born in Sydney. It would be like PM Blair complaining about all the Scots in London, obviosuly being Scottish and all.

That's the problem though- the wrong type of people are moving to QLD - usually unskilled and often unemployable.
Thanks
I am just finding it hard at the moment as hubby is wanting to go home mainly because of his work and the fact we may even seem a little worse of with money. His work was a bit hazy with the truth of the job before we cam here and i am just hoping we can find a way around this rather than go home. I know we need to give it more time but I cant see him doing this if there is no getting better.
Old Oct 4th 2006, 5:39 am
Banned

MD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud of

Thanks
I am just finding it hard at the moment as hubby is wanting to go home mainly because of his work and the fact we may even seem a little worse of with money. His work was a bit hazy with the truth of the job before we cam here and i am just hoping we can find a way around this rather than go home. I know we need to give it more time but I cant see him doing this if there is no getting better.

Perhaps hubby could look around for a new job, with an employer who is fair dinkum.
Oz is like anywhere – there are going to be shite employers who take take take and then there will be those who value their staff.

Men are funny though – this could be his way out – blaming his unhappiness on work etc when it could just be a case of homesickness or the fact your new life has now begun might be scarey. Perhaps a deep and meaningful over a few brews is install – he might open up a bit.

You don't want to do anything hasty - this rollercoast ride will have its up and downs for some time to come - you've just got to ride it..
Old Oct 4th 2006, 12:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MD09
Perhaps hubby could look around for a new job, with an employer who is fair dinkum.
Oz is like anywhere – there are going to be shite employers who take take take and then there will be those who value their staff.

Men are funny though – this could be his way out – blaming his unhappiness on work etc when it could just be a case of homesickness or the fact your new life has now begun might be scarey. Perhaps a deep and meaningful over a few brews is install – he might open up a bit.

You don't want to do anything hasty - this rollercoast ride will have its up and downs for some time to come - you've just got to ride it..
some interesting thoughts in your posts. Cheers

Badge
Old Oct 4th 2006, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

shade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really nice

I think thats one of the biggest mistakes people make when emergrating.
Nobody is going to be making the same money they did in the UK.This should be looke dinto before leaving.
I have a friend who came out as a mechanic and he's been one of the lucky ones came out with nothing but sold his house here bought a buisness and is now laughing all the way to the bank.
Old Oct 4th 2006, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Try and hang on a bit longer.................we know people that only gave it 12 weeks and regret going back now.
How about a change of jobs?
To tell you the truth, we wouldnt survive on just the one wage!!!!
Old Oct 4th 2006, 3:34 pm
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

I think the first few months are very hard in many ways and most especially financially. Money seems to get swallowed up buying things that you didn't bring over or need before your stuff arrives. It takes time to find the good deals on food etc.
I'd say hang on and give it at least 6 months before you think of going anywhere, at least then if it doesn't work out you can say you've given it a fair shot.
Can hubby look for another job? As a previous poster has said, a different company could make all the difference.
It's not easy at first, just hang in there. Have a chat with hubby and try to sort out a plan, so that you both know what needs to be done and what timescale you have.
Good luck, you've come this far, don't give up just yet.
Tracey
Old Oct 5th 2006, 12:32 am
Forum Regular

Thank you all for you kind words, as i dont have anyone here that I know and no-one to talk to it is nice to know that there are always people on this site to give some advice and it makes me feel less lonley when things seems tough. Hubby is tied into a contract for 3 years and it is approx $20,000 to get out of it but we are looking for ways around it, I think it may help when I am bringng some money in. Hopefully i can convince him to see it through for at least a year, You are right it is probably the unknown and the scarey stuff ontop of his work that has made it worse but at least he gets on with everyone at work.

We have got our first BBQ invite this weekend from one of his workmates, so I think it may be time for a bit of .

Thanks Again