Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth property market - a sign of the times?

Perth property market - a sign of the times?

Old May 31st 2008, 3:23 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth property market - a sign of the times?

Originally Posted by worzel
But I cannot help wonder how many of those people that are unhappy in Perth would feel more settled here if you could still buy a nice house for $300K.
I'd feel a lot more settled.
Old May 31st 2008, 4:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth property market - a sign of the times?

Originally Posted by walla
It was my understanding that the stamp duty comes into effect on July 1st and that people could still buy now as long as they settle after said date.

One of the major factors, apart from the interest rates of course, is that investors are dumping there investment properties because of said interest rates which is causing a massive amount of housing stock on the market. this creates the supply and demand scenario, too much stock = cheaper houses.

It's a buyers market alright and I'm in the thick of it, trying to sell and buy....
I wish it was a case of being able to write up the contract today and as long as settlement occurs after 1st July the new stamp duty rates apply............ but it isn't unfortunately!!! Stamp Duty is calculated from whenever the contract was signed............... not as from when it settles; which is barmy.

Mr Rippoff has caused a bottleneck with his tactics which is gross stupidity. When GST was first introduced the new rates and concessions applicable took effect from settlement, not from when the contract was signed. Ripoff should have made the same provision this time round with his poxy budget.

Johnno