Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth Private Schools - League Tables?

Perth Private Schools - League Tables?

Old Jan 17th 2005, 5:56 pm
  #1  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: A land far far away
Posts: 1,149
Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute
Default Perth Private Schools - League Tables?

How do you find out how they are graded i.e. in terms of sports/music/academic/other extra curricular.

Presuming it's mainly on academics, but in my opinion that's not the be all and end all

Thanks (again)

Mrs Jones
Wave the Sails is offline  
Old Jan 17th 2005, 6:11 pm
  #2  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Christchurch
Posts: 180
gazzer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Perth Private Schools - League Tables?

I'll be interested as well -

we're going to Perth as well

Gaz
gazzer is offline  
Old Jan 17th 2005, 8:06 pm
  #3  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: A land far far away
Posts: 1,149
Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth Private Schools - League Tables?

Originally Posted by gazzer
I'll be interested as well -

we're going to Perth as well

Gaz
Hello!! When are you off?

See you are in Christchurch. How old are your children?
Wave the Sails is offline  
Old Jan 17th 2005, 9:04 pm
  #4  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Christchurch
Posts: 180
gazzer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Perth Private Schools - League Tables?

waiting on visa

medicals (sent today), AOS paid, police checks gone.

Hopefully August

Oldest son in year 11, so GCSE's to do. Youngest in year 9.

Off to Perth - we've researched the state schools but none on private.

I know they are not as expensive as UK and many have a religous affliation.

I do believe that some performance indicators do exist for the state schools but haven't looked for private ones as yet.

Gaz
gazzer is offline  
Old Jan 17th 2005, 9:25 pm
  #5  
Tribu dei Chihuahua
 
squeezzii's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Port Kennedy -near the dolphins
Posts: 1,414
squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Perth Private Schools - League Tables?

Originally Posted by gazzer
waiting on visa

medicals (sent today), AOS paid, police checks gone.

Hopefully August

Oldest son in year 11, so GCSE's to do. Youngest in year 9.

Off to Perth - we've researched the state schools but none on private.

I know they are not as expensive as UK and many have a religous affliation.

I do believe that some performance indicators do exist for the state schools but haven't looked for private ones as yet.

Gaz
I see you have researched the schools, how did you go about that? I have a 9 + 7 year old and when we arrive I want to get them into thier routine asap so I want to find out as much as poss before we're off (to perth)
squeezzii is offline  
Old Jan 17th 2005, 11:07 pm
  #6  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Christchurch
Posts: 180
gazzer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Perth Private Schools - League Tables?

Cousin works for WA ed dept and gave me the info when we visited last August.

Gaz
gazzer is offline  
Old Jan 18th 2005, 12:14 am
  #7  
(It's not my real name)
 
renth's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Ilukapool. WA
Posts: 12,467
renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth Private Schools - League Tables?

There was a great article in the Sunday Times which published a "league table" of all high schools (state and private) in WA.

They worked it out using TEE scores and the proportion of students at the school who were in the top quarter, or third, I can't remember now.

It is the first time I've seen a table like this, this story aludes to it but I haven't managed to find the table on line.

http://www.sundaytimes.news.com.au/c...5E2761,00.html


THE latest TEE results prove you don't have to be a rich city slicker to get into university.

Collie and Manjimup senior high schools topped several blue-ribbon private colleges in The Sunday Times 2004 TEE rankings.

And Tom Price Senior High School students achieved an impressive average Tertiary Entrance Ranking of 86.2 – a huge improvement on its average of 49 the previous year. The minimum TER to study at the University of WA is 80 this year.

Tom Price was not included in our table because it had fewer than 20 students enrolled in Year 12 – the cut-off point for our figures. But it would have ranked highly.

The Sunday Times list shows the proportion of students from each school in the top third of the state.

This is calculated by taking the average of four or more TEE subjects. This method is widely preferred in academic circles to other league tables as a tool for measuring overall performance.

Students needed an average scaled mark of 62.4 or more to get into this bracket, which translates to a TER of about 86.

On that basis, Collie and Manjimup ranked higher than Trinity and Aquinas colleges and Guildford Grammar School.

So did Shenton College, Rossmoyne, Churchlands, Leeming, and Willetton senior high schools.

Collie improved massively in the table from the previous year, having only 5.6 per cent of its students in the top third in 2003, but about 42 per cent in 2004.

Independent girls' schools once again dominated the top 10, with Presbyterian Ladies' College, Perth College and St Mary's Anglican Girls' School in the first three positions.

But Catholic girls' school Santa Maria College, which charges about $4000 a year and was ranked 29 last year, and the co-ed Thornlie Christian College, which costs about $2800, sneaked into the top 10 among schools that costing $11,000 or more annually.

There were nine government schools in our top 40 in 2004, the same as the previous year.

Education and Training Minister Alan Carpenter said reports in other media that government schools had slipped were absurd because 62 per cent of such schools got better averages in the TER than in the previous year.

"And Rossmoyne is hands down the best performing school in WA and the best performing school in Australia," he said.

He said Rossmoyne had 31 students in the top 1 per cent of all Year 12 students, the next best being Christ Church Grammar School with 20.

Rossmoyne also produced five of the 25 students who had a TER of 99.95 per cent or more. Another five also came from public schools.
renth is offline  
Old Jan 18th 2005, 2:31 am
  #8  
Moved out bush!
 
jensteve's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Chittering WA
Posts: 1,093
jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of
Default Re: Perth Private Schools - League Tables?

Saw a similar article which listed them, St Hilda's was 5th and st Stephens about 20ish down the list, am trying to find it for you.

Jenny
jensteve is offline  
Old Jan 18th 2005, 9:08 am
  #9  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: A land far far away
Posts: 1,149
Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth Private Schools - League Tables?

Originally Posted by renth
There was a great article in the Sunday Times which published a "league table" of all high schools (state and private) in WA.

They worked it out using TEE scores and the proportion of students at the school who were in the top quarter, or third, I can't remember now.

It is the first time I've seen a table like this, this story aludes to it but I haven't managed to find the table on line.

http://www.sundaytimes.news.com.au/c...5E2761,00.html


THE latest TEE results prove you don't have to be a rich city slicker to get into university.

Collie and Manjimup senior high schools topped several blue-ribbon private colleges in The Sunday Times 2004 TEE rankings.

And Tom Price Senior High School students achieved an impressive average Tertiary Entrance Ranking of 86.2 – a huge improvement on its average of 49 the previous year. The minimum TER to study at the University of WA is 80 this year.

Tom Price was not included in our table because it had fewer than 20 students enrolled in Year 12 – the cut-off point for our figures. But it would have ranked highly.

The Sunday Times list shows the proportion of students from each school in the top third of the state.

This is calculated by taking the average of four or more TEE subjects. This method is widely preferred in academic circles to other league tables as a tool for measuring overall performance.

Students needed an average scaled mark of 62.4 or more to get into this bracket, which translates to a TER of about 86.

On that basis, Collie and Manjimup ranked higher than Trinity and Aquinas colleges and Guildford Grammar School.

So did Shenton College, Rossmoyne, Churchlands, Leeming, and Willetton senior high schools.

Collie improved massively in the table from the previous year, having only 5.6 per cent of its students in the top third in 2003, but about 42 per cent in 2004.

Independent girls' schools once again dominated the top 10, with Presbyterian Ladies' College, Perth College and St Mary's Anglican Girls' School in the first three positions.

But Catholic girls' school Santa Maria College, which charges about $4000 a year and was ranked 29 last year, and the co-ed Thornlie Christian College, which costs about $2800, sneaked into the top 10 among schools that costing $11,000 or more annually.

There were nine government schools in our top 40 in 2004, the same as the previous year.

Education and Training Minister Alan Carpenter said reports in other media that government schools had slipped were absurd because 62 per cent of such schools got better averages in the TER than in the previous year.

"And Rossmoyne is hands down the best performing school in WA and the best performing school in Australia," he said.

He said Rossmoyne had 31 students in the top 1 per cent of all Year 12 students, the next best being Christ Church Grammar School with 20.

Rossmoyne also produced five of the 25 students who had a TER of 99.95 per cent or more. Another five also came from public schools.
Thanks so very much for all that info, incredibly useful. Off to look at the individual schools mentioned now.
Wave the Sails is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.