Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth Plumbers!!!!!

Perth Plumbers!!!!!

Old Sep 30th 2007, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Dan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to all
Default Perth Plumbers!!!!!

Hi guys,
Can any of you plumbers out there in Perth share your success (or not!!) stories? How do you find the work? What sort of plumbing do you do? What are wages like, subbie, employed, own business? How long to get to grips with the way they do things? I will be back over there by Feb next year already have licence just need the experience! Anyone recommend any decent firms to contact? Will be either NOR or in the Hills.
Thanks all!
Dan
Old Sep 30th 2007, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

BallochBiddy has a brilliant futureBallochBiddy has a brilliant futureBallochBiddy has a brilliant futureBallochBiddy has a brilliant futureBallochBiddy has a brilliant futureBallochBiddy has a brilliant future
Default Re: Perth Plumbers!!!!!

Hi Dan how did you get your license before you get there?
Hoping to get to Perth early 08 and want to hit the ground running.

Cheers Biddy
Old Sep 30th 2007, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to all

Originally Posted by BallochBiddy
Hi Dan how did you get your license before you get there?
Hoping to get to Perth early 08 and want to hit the ground running.

Cheers Biddy
Hi Biddy,
Got licence last time I was there! Simple one day course bit of practical and theory but took about 3 months to get on it! Mind you have heard that different people have had to do different things ( dont ask me why!)
Dan
Ps Any plumbers out there willing to share their wisdom????? Please!!!!!
Old Oct 6th 2007, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

BallochBiddy has a brilliant futureBallochBiddy has a brilliant futureBallochBiddy has a brilliant futureBallochBiddy has a brilliant futureBallochBiddy has a brilliant futureBallochBiddy has a brilliant future

There must be someone in perth who can give us a heads up.

Cheers Biddy
Old Oct 6th 2007, 5:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BallochBiddy
There must be someone in perth who can give us a heads up.

Cheers Biddy
Yeah you'd think so Biddy!! Haven't had one reply on this or Plumbers forum!!
Just noticed where you are from - great part of the world! Have you (presumably) got Scottish qualifications? If so I have heard that it is a lot easier to convert than English so you should have no drama!!
Dan
Old Oct 6th 2007, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dan the Plumber
Yeah you'd think so Biddy!! Haven't had one reply on this or Plumbers forum!!
Just noticed where you are from - great part of the world! Have you (presumably) got Scottish qualifications? If so I have heard that it is a lot easier to convert than English so you should have no drama!!
Dan
Hi Dan, Is the plumbers forum new as I've never noticed it before?
Yes Scottish qualifications(SCOTVEC) when I done them. The're now called SVQ. I was told by WA Plumbing board while on my reccie that if I had SVQ level 3(advanced plumber) then I would have no problems. I tried explaning that my qualifications preceeded SVQ but were higher than level 3(technician plumber) but the guy failed to get it. I've since got a letter from my old collage to explain that my qualifications are higher so hopefully that should work.
My last post was just to keep the thread up there

Will keep in touch Biddy
Old Oct 11th 2007, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

telpen is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi mate

I lived in Mandurah south of perth. I have a tradesperson license which was granted on the strength of my experience and passing a trade test at the college in freo. I think they run a migrants course now. If you hold a trades persons license issued by the plumbing license board then you should not have any problems getting a job with the bigger firms most seem to pay around 30$ an hour more if you subby always overtime available .The copper is hard so you have to heat to bend and it all hard solder joints using a oxy acetylene or mapp gas . lots of sand digging ,the plumbing is simple .
We came back to get our sons gcses under his belt, But since coming back have regretted it .
We are returning mid next year .
My advice is to not expect to much initially learn there way, take the overtime , and enjoy what comes from living there.
You can enroll for courses to become a contractor and work on your try balga tafe for info or MPA skills
Hope this helps
Old Nov 24th 2007, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

pajones is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys,
Can any of you plumbers out there in Perth share your success (or not!!) stories? How do you find the work? What sort of plumbing do you do? What are wages like, subbie, employed, own business? How long to get to grips with the way they do things? I will be back over there by Feb next year already have licence just need the experience! Anyone recommend any decent firms to contact? Will be either NOR or in the Hills.
Thanks all!
Dan
Hi Dan, Get the Western Australian on a Wednesday or Saturday to look for plumbing jobs. Wages are $25 to $30 per hour for a subbie about $40 To get your licence you will have to do a week intensive - or a Wednesday night for 13 weeks.To get your gas it's 6 weeks intensive at Challenger TAFE. If you want to do your own contracts you will have to do a business studies course which is 400 hours at Curtin Uni. Hope that helps cheers Paul.
Old Nov 24th 2007, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pajones
Hi Dan, Get the Western Australian on a Wednesday or Saturday to look for plumbing jobs. Wages are $25 to $30 per hour for a subbie about $40 To get your licence you will have to do a week intensive - or a Wednesday night for 13 weeks.To get your gas it's 6 weeks intensive at Challenger TAFE. If you want to do your own contracts you will have to do a business studies course which is 400 hours at Curtin Uni. Hope that helps cheers Paul.
Hi Paul,
Thanks for reply mate! Already have licence, had for 4 years now got that the last time I was there in 2003! I only did a one day course I guess its changed now though. The gas course you said that is for someone with no gas experience? Wages seem shite but thats across the board in any trade I suppose!! Who do you work for and do you think its worth a few emails before we head back over there?
Cheers again,
Dan
Old Nov 25th 2007, 12:50 am
Forum Regular

Hi Paul,
Thanks for reply mate! Already have licence, had for 4 years now got that the last time I was there in 2003! I only did a one day course I guess its changed now though. The gas course you said that is for someone with no gas experience? Wages seem shite but thats across the board in any trade I suppose!! Who do you work for and do you think its worth a few emails before we head back over there?
Cheers again,
Dan
Are you sure your licence hasn't expired? I thought that they were only valid for 3 years. Again, I haven't done the gas course, but I believe that you have to take it if you want to work on gas (I am a CORGI registered plumber in UK). I am not plumbing at the moment, I am working for a friend of mine, who is fitting kitchens etc.. I am earning $25 per hour without the hassles of college! I am going back to UK Feb/March to earn some proper money as I work for myself back there. Also my wife has her own business in UK and she can't afford to work here because of all the childcare costs (we have three young kids) However, lookup 'Catch' in the membership list. He is a plumber working in Bunbury - a nice lad from Sheffield. He has done the gas course and is working for a firm who sponsored him to come here. He will be able to give you a bit more advice, as he is actually working as a plumber.
Cheers
Paul
Old Nov 25th 2007, 7:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Are you sure your licence hasn't expired? I thought that they were only valid for 3 years. Again, I haven't done the gas course, but I believe that you have to take it if you want to work on gas (I am a CORGI registered plumber in UK). I am not plumbing at the moment, I am working for a friend of mine, who is fitting kitchens etc.. I am earning $25 per hour without the hassles of college! I am going back to UK Feb/March to earn some proper money as I work for myself back there. Also my wife has her own business in UK and she can't afford to work here because of all the childcare costs (we have three young kids) However, lookup 'Catch' in the membership list. He is a plumber working in Bunbury - a nice lad from Sheffield. He has done the gas course and is working for a firm who sponsored him to come here. He will be able to give you a bit more advice, as he is actually working as a plumber.
Cheers
Paul
Yeah will try and get hold of him! Cheers Paul! I have kept licence up to date every year - although this year they are now valid for 3 which is better! Are you coming back for good? Money def miles better here - I am self employed here and have tons of work, regarded 'very reasonable' rate wise bearing in mind its £25.00 hour / £200.00 per day. Can't see that in Oz. My b.i.l to be (an aussie) works up north on a fifo arrangement and he's on $50.00 an hour. Still how easy is the plumbing there though - especially as I guess people are moving with speedfit type tube etc. I have just completed a big job 300 ltr solar megaflow, oil boiler tank etc 3 zones, mains booster pump, bloody pipe work in that is amazing. Over kill I'd say but through a builder so I guess the customer payed an absolute fortune!!
Best of luck in your endeavors whatever you decide!
Dan
Old Nov 25th 2007, 8:28 am
Account Closed

Catch is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers
Paul
hi paul hope things work out for you were ever you end up ,need any help with anything give me a bell , may be in perth in december, may drop in for a cuppa catch
Old Nov 25th 2007, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Catch
hi paul hope things work out for you were ever you end up ,need any help with anything give me a bell , may be in perth in december, may drop in for a cuppa catch
Hi catch, drop in any time your very welcome.Have a word with Dan see if you can help him,coming to Perth feb 08. cheers Paul.
Old Nov 25th 2007, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

Yeah will try and get hold of him! Cheers Paul! I have kept licence up to date every year - although this year they are now valid for 3 which is better! Are you coming back for good? Money def miles better here - I am self employed here and have tons of work, regarded 'very reasonable' rate wise bearing in mind its £25.00 hour / £200.00 per day. Can't see that in Oz. My b.i.l to be (an aussie) works up north on a fifo arrangement and he's on $50.00 an hour. Still how easy is the plumbing there though - especially as I guess people are moving with speedfit type tube etc. I have just completed a big job 300 ltr solar megaflow, oil boiler tank etc 3 zones, mains booster pump, bloody pipe work in that is amazing. Over kill I'd say but through a builder so I guess the customer payed an absolute fortune!!
Best of luck in your endeavors whatever you decide!
Dan
Hi Dan,Yeah it looks like we are returning to Shropshire around April.We like it here but unless you fly in fly out the money is crap and to be honest with you having a young family i didn't want to do that.There's a few plumbers gone home cause of the money.It seems a long time ago since i was earning £200 per day.I have kept my corgi membership going and will have to go on another course July 09 as you have to do it every 5 years.Hopefully will get most of my customers back.Where are you from in the uk, are there many Poles taking some of your work there seems to be a lot about.Anyway all the best Paul.
Old Nov 25th 2007, 3:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Dan,Yeah it looks like we are returning to Shropshire around April.We like it here but unless you fly in fly out the money is crap and to be honest with you having a young family i didn't want to do that.There's a few plumbers gone home cause of the money.It seems a long time ago since i was earning £200 per day.I have kept my corgi membership going and will have to go on another course July 09 as you have to do it every 5 years.Hopefully will get most of my customers back.Where are you from in the uk, are there many Poles taking some of your work there seems to be a lot about.Anyway all the best Paul.
Hi mate,
Not too far from you in Worcestershire! Poles are out there although I don't come across many. Saying that when you don't win jobs you never know who they get in. I have seen many cheap quotes though, usually poorly typed / written, ie general lack of what they are actually going to do. I fit a lot of oil boilers - registered through Oftec, I guess that would be big up there? My aunt lives in a place called Muckleton and my cousin lives in Wem!
I too have young kids so fifo not really an option unless the money is too good. Saying that $50 hour not worth the hassle! How about self employed? Surely their hourly charge must be somewhere near $60 or am I way off?
Thanks for your info too btw much appreciated.
Dan