Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth a personal view

Perth a personal view

Old Sep 10th 2005, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

sponge bob will become famous soon enoughsponge bob will become famous soon enough
Angry Perth a personal view

Well, i know before i start that this will upset people but its the facts has i see them. We came here looking for a better life and found that the grass is not always greener on the other side.
We picked Perth and not Brisbane because we thought the housing would be cheaper and it would not be so humid in the summer .
Well when we first got here everything seemed to be great just what we had hoped for. The weather was great the poeple were nice and there were plenty of jobs advertised. We have been here some time now and our views have changed alot. Tere are lots of jobs , the poeple are nice and the weather can be very nice indeed.ITS NOT ENOUGH from day one we have been told you wlll get used to this and you will get used to that, well thats the way we do it out here etc etc.
What this has really meant is that we are forced to accept lower standards in almost everything from education to food. from work place safety to employment rights, the list seems almost endless.
I know by now there will alot of poeple typing away to rubbish what i am saying but there are a lot of poeple that know what i am saying is true, so please read on and at least be aware of what ( i think ) awaits the hopeful immigrant, if he hasn`t researched has much has he should.
First i have to mention housing , everybody out here seems totaly obsessed with the housing market , prices have been booming for a long time now land prices are high ( this in a country with unlimited land ) and building costs are the same. At first we rented a house very large with a lot of land and all brand new. We thought this was great and began to think it would be wise to build our own new house in Australia. But it soon began to dawn on us that we would have to compomise where we wanted to build because of land prices and while we pondered this we started to take a look at the quality of the house we were renting and the others of friends and those around and nearby.
They are very poorly finished off the work is not what you would accept back in the uk yet they still run into hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Then we come to the education of our children , IT JUST MAKES ME WANT TO CRY why o why did i ever complain about schools back in the UK.I don`t see the point of going into this any further other to say you should really look into it yourself if you think the education of your children is important.
Then there is work lots of jobs about but they are nearly all in the city area which means traveling , the road network is has busy has any major city in the world at peak times, the driving ability of most of your fellow comuters is .......... well you decide when you drive from the airport .
so why do so many people come here and why do so many people stay? ( this is going to upset a lot of people i suppose ). A lot of migrants come to perth from the Uk looking for a better life and for the most part seem to find it. They come from run down northern cities terraced housing and inner city schools , perth gives them a bit more space a newer home good weather and they accept its bad points because of this. They seem to think good food is cheap food, good houses are bigger houses etc etc.

To sum it up I would have to say that in general we have had to accept lower standards in almost everthing , if you lived in a small teerraced house in a big city in the uk then it is paradise , if you live in a detached house in the country (uk ) then it is almost the opposite, on the whole the grass is not greener on the other side . People may say well its not for everyone and this is true , but before you come over think about what you have in the uk , the truth is you may be gambleing it all onthe promise of cheaper houses and sunshine, ( Well you get what you pay for in this life and it gets very clod hear in winter and very wet . )
just think before you leap, and good look which ever way you go.
Old Sep 10th 2005, 6:44 pm
Happy Member

kris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth a personal view

Hi
We are looking to come to Perth next year although i am researching other areas one of them being Brisbane!
What job do you do?
I appreciate the honesty of your post i dont think you will get slated for it as it is your honest opinion and you are saying what you have found rather than just slagging Perth off!

Are you planning to come back? where did you come from in the UK.
Although I must say that its only people from inner cities that live in mid terraced houses is a bit strong!

Until the people on this side actually experience the NEW life for themselves they will never know .
So no matter what your or anyone elses experiences are each of us is an individual whos out look and expectations are different and until we have tried it we wont know!!

Good Post

Kris x
Old Sep 10th 2005, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sponge bob
They come from run down northern cities terraced housing and inner city schools , :
So its a north/south thing then. Okay for the working class but you and your southern nancies living in stockbroker belt are far too good for Australia. Well you know where the airport is.
Old Sep 10th 2005, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

Jamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really nice

so what you're saying is the people who (in your opinion) make a go of it are...

"from run down northern cities terraced housing and inner city schools , perth gives them a bit more space a newer home good weather and they accept its bad points because of this. They seem to think good food is cheap food, good houses are bigger houses etc etc. "

I am from said "run down northern cities with terraced housing".

I sincerely hope you never fall upon hard times, because you wouldn't have a hope in hell of surviving. As you are obviously better than everybody else, then perhaps you should consider buying a small island somewhere, and living on that, away from all the plebs and dullards.

Warm regards,

Jamie
Old Sep 10th 2005, 8:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

If people are weighing up bris and perth you need to look at the weather ALL year round. Often you read brisbanes humid in summer, yes it is humid for about 3 months but in winter brisbane is mid 20's and dry and runs rings around perths colder wet winters. Summer in Perth is no picnic anyway unless you like millions of flies and many 35+ days. Pick the weather you like from an all year round angle not just a few weeks and remember nowhere here is perfect weather all the time.

House and land prices, australians are obsessed with housing prices, especially when prices are going up, the only way to weath for most aussies has always been buy a house and hopefully then a second house, dont believe aussies dont love their material posessions or money they are like anyone else of course they love it! Also that second house is often part of the essential plan to pay for retirement the pension is asset tested here and most wont get one.

Land is not really unlimited because most of australia is uninhabitable, 20 million people cram into land within an hour from a few major cities and centers, land is getting smaller and more expensive all the time, its also quite hard to find decent vacant land in many places now, its simply being built out.

Education and employment conditions do shock many people, people with older children should seek out employment opportunites not just for them but what the kids chances are too, things can be very competitive here.
Old Sep 10th 2005, 9:04 pm
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Hampshire where you are paying £100k for a tiny two bedroom flat, I originally from just north of Edinburgh where house prices have risen dramatically in the 8 years I`ve lived down South (2 bedroom flats now selling for £80k ) Where in Britain today would be it affordable or possible for Joe Bloggs to buy land and build a house - nowhere I think. There are plenty of terraced houses here selling for over £100k it`s not an oop North thing (terraced houses in the Co Durham area where my hubby comes from are selling at over £80k). The point I`m trying to make is that everywhere house prices are rising not just Perth, the reason Perths house prices are rising so dramatically perhaps has something to do with the amount of migrants heading out there. I`m not out in Perth yet and I`m really not a rosetinted specs type person, so Idon`t feel qualified to comment on what life will be like there, however all I can do is give it a go.Your post however did come across as slightly insulting.

Last edited by gobbyjock; Sep 10th 2005 at 9:08 pm.
Old Sep 10th 2005, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

jacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=sponge bob]

my terrace is lovely 4 bedrooms and lots of space, per metre squared bigger than most new detached

also large garden neh neh

oh and Sheffield is one of the safest cities in europe

and the north is crap aswell for sense of humors..........

PETER KAY versus uuuuuuummm JIM DAVISON. no contest
Old Sep 10th 2005, 10:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

jacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond repute

oh and forgot to add my house is worth £180 000

crap up north isn't it
Old Sep 10th 2005, 11:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

I found the comment about northen people quite insulting. Maybe people from the North settle better because they are more willing to give it a go and adapt their life. We are friendly people and maybe that helps too as we speak to our neighbours, so will do the same in Australia.
As for the comments about Perth, I can't comment as we are in Brisbane, and from where we are we have everything within an hours drive, so couldn't wish for anything better.
Lots of people seem to complain about the education in WA, but here it is fine........very different to UK education (in my opinion better).
Old Sep 10th 2005, 11:22 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

They come from run down northern cities terraced housing and inner city schools , perth gives them a bit more space a newer home good weather and they accept its bad points because of this. They seem to think good food is cheap food, good houses are bigger houses etc etc.
Good to see you haven't used any north / south stereotypes then.
Old Sep 10th 2005, 11:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I'd love to know how spongebob is measuring education standards. It does illistrate that we need a national measuring standard in the education system in this country though.

I'm sure most schools in Melbourne at least, measure up to educational standards in the UK. But there again, how can I/we be certain of that.

BTW, are you fuzzy in disguise ??
Old Sep 10th 2005, 11:49 pm
kelly Slater...mmmmmm

Carkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really niceCarkedit is just really nice

[QUOTE=gobbyjock]I live in Hampshire where you are paying £100k for a tiny two bedroom flat, I originally from just north of Edinburgh where house prices have risen dramatically in the 8 years I`ve lived down South (2 bedroom flats now selling for £80k ) QUOTE]

You would be lucky to buy a retirement flat for £80k where I live (just outside Brighton) you are looking at more like £120k for a 2 bed flat...who the @$!* can afford that when you're single and can only get a £70k mortgage?
Old Sep 11th 2005, 12:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Xgeminix has a reputation beyond reputeXgeminix has a reputation beyond reputeXgeminix has a reputation beyond reputeXgeminix has a reputation beyond reputeXgeminix has a reputation beyond reputeXgeminix has a reputation beyond reputeXgeminix has a reputation beyond reputeXgeminix has a reputation beyond reputeXgeminix has a reputation beyond reputeXgeminix has a reputation beyond reputeXgeminix has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I must say I'm also insulted about the northern comment. I was just wondering where you studied for your own education 'has' your spelling and grammar isn't the greatest? I was hoping Perth would offer slightly better.

Oh and I've lived in detached houses for the majority of my life on the edge of the Lake District including the village of Gosforth, a picturesque little village where tourists and hikers would visit every Sunday for cream teas to the local craft shop and cafe. This somewhat differs to your vision of the north!!, Which parts have you visited?
Old Sep 11th 2005, 12:09 am
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Carkedit]
Originally Posted by gobbyjock
I live in Hampshire where you are paying £100k for a tiny two bedroom flat, I originally from just north of Edinburgh where house prices have risen dramatically in the 8 years I`ve lived down South (2 bedroom flats now selling for £80k ) QUOTE]

You would be lucky to buy a retirement flat for £80k where I live (just outside Brighton) you are looking at more like £120k for a 2 bed flat...who the @$!* can afford that when you're single and can only get a £70k mortgage?
How the hell do first time buyers get on the property ladder anymore?? We sold our house in Scotland and I thought the house prices down here were ridiculous 8 years ago (2 bed mid terrace £70k) now they sell for £125K. We are in rented housing here because I thought the prices were ridiculous then and didn`t intend staying here that long - if we don`t get to Oz then I really don`t know how we`ll get back on the property ladder when hubby leaves RN in a couple of years.
Old Sep 11th 2005, 12:10 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Then we come to the education of our children , IT JUST MAKES ME WANT TO CRY why o why did i ever complain about schools back in the UK.I don`t see the point of going into this any further other to say you should really look into it yourself if you think the education of your children is important.
Judging by your spelling, grammar and punctuation I'd say the UK education system failed you.

And what a whinger, nothing of any substance to say.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.