Andy Pandy is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

Well said Tennisoz, I agree with you.
Old Nov 5th 2003, 1:01 am
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by tennisoz
Hi Tracey, welcome to the forum

As others have said you need to get opinions and experiences good and bad. I would argue (as an Australian) that you don't quite get the right balance here but that's another story (just wait and some regular posters will come on with 'you need to hear about the bad, it is the reality of life in Oz' - true but keep it in perspective!). For example, you already think you are going to get eaten alive by flies and mozzies etc, etc. It happens but just keep all these things in perspective.

Someone else made a very valid point recently that it is difficult to compare moving from an established life in the UK which might have taken you decades to achieve to starting off in a new country. I think they said stick it out for 10 to 15 years and then tell me how Oz compares with the UK which makes sense. Of course some won't be able to stick it out for that long and they don't have to - its just maybe the only way of making comparisons.

For example I gave up a good job, home and lifestyle in Oz and moved to Scotland with my wife. We didn't have a job and because we moved in February it snowed the first few weeks we were here. We rented a cold, damp house for a few months. Eventually we got jobs, we bought a house, we've paid it off and life is good here. What I would have said when we first moved would be unrepeatable.

Emigrating is a huge move so doubts are understandable. I've done it once to the UK and will do it back to Australia in the near future (my wife is Scottish).

Just have a look at the headlines in the UK - postal strike, Soham murder trial, boy killed in Lincolnshire school, interest rates to rise, 7 year old girl shot in the back in London in drug feud etc, etc. This doesn't necessarily mean that life is intolerable here for everyone. I really like living here incidentally. The south west corner of Scotland is a beautiful part of the world and I have a good job it's just that we personally think that life is better in Australia for us.

Good luck and use the forum to get more information to help you make your decisions. Finally, Australia is different to the UK. That's part of the fun of moving to a new country. The people are different (you will find friendly ones, aggressive ones, laid back ones), they speak differently, they have different attitudes, the climate is different, the creepy-crawlies are different, salaries are different, house prices are different, TV programs are different, sport is different ............... Don't expect it to be the same.

TennisOz
I pretty much agree with TennizOz - Personally, after deciding on Oz as a location to emigrate to I want as much as possible to be different. It will be the things that are the same as London that are diappointing....life is about taking on new experiences and emigration has got to come pretty much top of that list
Old Nov 5th 2003, 1:22 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all

Thanks for the welcome and you're all quite right. We have to be pessimistic (is that how it's spelt?) and look on the bad side then you don't get too gutted when it all goes pear shaped!

I suppose we just 'want' this so much and we all have our dreams as to what it will be like when we get there. We all, I'm sure, want a better life for ourselves and our kids don't we?

But this has to be the scariest and most nerve racking thing I've ever done in my life and despite knowing that we will eventually do 'it' and make that huge jump... my feet get so cold sometimes there positivley icy!!

We have friends who live in the northern suburbs of Perth and they've been there 10 years and they love it. So we know of deffinately one success story!

Tracey
Old Nov 5th 2003, 1:36 am
BE Enthusiast

claireg3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by TraceyW
Hello all

Thanks for the welcome and you're all quite right. We have to be pessimistic (is that how it's spelt?) and look on the bad side then you don't get too gutted when it all goes pear shaped!

I suppose we just 'want' this so much and we all have our dreams as to what it will be like when we get there. We all, I'm sure, want a better life for ourselves and our kids don't we?

But this has to be the scariest and most nerve racking thing I've ever done in my life and despite knowing that we will eventually do 'it' and make that huge jump... my feet get so cold sometimes there positivley icy!!

We have friends who live in the northern suburbs of Perth and they've been there 10 years and they love it. So we know of deffinately one success story!

Tracey

Hi Tracey,

I know just what you mean about this being scarey. We are hoping to fly out to Perth at the beginning of January and I am in a complete state of overwhelm at the minute. I have so much to do and just don't know where to start. To top it all someone goes and plonks Christmas right in the middle of it all

We have never been to Perth but are still looking forward to the move. I've done as much research as is humanly possible via the internet but the big test will be when we get there and find out all th nitty gritty bits that the internet can't tell you. We are lucky in that jobs are sorted already so that is one less thing to worry about, we are going to stay with friends until we have somewhere to rent/buy. I must admit that My husband is not keen on the flies but in the scheme of things that is a fairly minor thing to get used to.

We intend to give it 5 years and if we have really not settled then we may look at somewhere else in Oz. The friends we are going to stay with though say it is by far the best thing they have ever done and wouldn't consider living anywhere else. Each to their own I guess.

Good luck

Claire
Old Nov 5th 2003, 1:47 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Claire

You sound as potty as us, moving to the other side of the world... having never been there either!!

My hubby went years ago backpacking, it's taken him years to talk me into going! The spider thing was top of my list of reasons why we shouldn't go!

As I said, our friends love it there. She is pregnant with their first baby and as a mum I asked her where she would rather bring her kids up.. she reckons Perth anyday.

We know other people who are moving over in June next year and they are out in Perth at the moment doing the looking round bit, they'll be back in a week or so. I cannot wait to talk to them to get the low down.

The only problem with these forums/chat sites is you hear the bad things along with the good... and when your head is full of uncertainties and doubts it tends to put the wind up you even more doesn't it!

Regards

Tracey
Old Nov 5th 2003, 3:12 am
Forum Regular

sdwis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Perth..not for me

Ellen,

It's good to know that you made that trip in order to help with your decision. I think it would be a good idea for anyone who is considering migration to visit Australia first if possible to determine if they will like their potential chosen destination. I am glad that I isited first because I had always fantasized about living in Sydney, but after a visit determined that it is a nice place to visit, but I don't want to live there.

Originally posted by ellen fedulow
Hi all
as some of you know i left for Perth 25/10/03 for a 2 week fact finding mission, i came back yesterday, 4 days early (for personal reasons) I stayed a few days at Scarbourough (1 min from the sea) for a few days. Scarbourough is a beautiful, clean place, the beaches are outstanding. The last days of my trip i spent in serronto beach resort (near Hilary's) once again a beautiful place. i visited AQUA, travelled on the bus to Perth city centre, went to Freo and Cottoslow. The weather was great, especially the last couple of days when the temps hit 28/29 degrees.
I know some of you will say i wasn't there long enough to get a true sense and picture of the place. But all the time i was there i felt it was a good place for a holiday, but really couldn't see my self and family settling there. I felt "out of place" the locals were friendly enough, but treated me as a tourist...yes i know i was one! but they diddn't know that! the flies drove me mad, are they Kamakarsi type or what? they constantly seemed to dive in my eyes, mouth and up my nose! eating outside was impossible coz of them, mossies come out in droves at night. Oh no i sound like a whinging pom!! I already know how difficult it would be for my self and hubby to pick up our careers in perth (i'm a social worker and he's a college lecturer)I am also aware that we stand a better chance, job wise, in Adelaide or Victoria.
I am glad i did the trip, i am now going to concentrate my research on Adelaide, Melbourne etc..
Once again Perth is BEAUTIFULL and maybe if our job percpectives were better, i would definatley still concider it, but it is far too risky without it..
cheers
ellen1
Old Nov 5th 2003, 3:20 am
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by sdwis
Ellen,

It's good to know that you made that trip in order to help with your decision. I think it would be a good idea for anyone who is considering migration to visit Australia first if possible to determine if they will like their potential chosen destination. I am glad that I isited first because I had always fantasized about living in Sydney, but after a visit determined that it is a nice place to visit, but I don't want to live there.
Hi sdwis

Interested to hear why you do not feel Sydney is the place for you and where you are from in UK. Does this mean you are looking elsewhere in Oz or not at all ?

We are planning to move from London to Sydney next year.
Old Nov 5th 2003, 3:32 am
Forum Regular

sdwis is an unknown quantity at this point

I am actually migrating from the US. I really liked Melbourne a lot and could see myself living there, so that's where I'm planning on going.

Originally posted by sjn2003
Hi sdwis

Interested to hear why you do not feel Sydney is the place for you and where you are from in UK. Does this mean you are looking elsewhere in Oz or not at all ?

We are planning to move from London to Sydney next year.
Old Nov 5th 2003, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

we moved here and sort of fell into sydney by accident. frankly we love it, but we cannot afford to purchase any housing in any areas we'd like to live, so we're now looking around at other prospects.
Initially we thought Melbourne, but after a visit I thought it was pants. It waqs just a feeling thing. My friend who lives there shares a very similar mind set to me and he just loves it, so I guess it really is an individual thing.
there's another post where a woman says she can buy a 3 bed house in Perth for 70k gbp. Thats all well and good, but its in Perth! Its that price for a reason. Namely wages are very low and not so many folk really want to be there long term.

There that should provoke some comment.
Old Nov 5th 2003, 11:52 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally posted by ellen fedulow
Hi all
as some of you know i left for Perth 25/10/03 for a 2 week fact finding mission, i came back yesterday, 4 days early (for personal reasons) I stayed a few days at Scarbourough (1 min from the sea) for a few days. Scarbourough is a beautiful, clean place, the beaches are outstanding. The last days of my trip i spent in serronto beach resort (near Hilary's) once again a beautiful place. i visited AQUA, travelled on the bus to Perth city centre, went to Freo and Cottoslow. The weather was great, especially the last couple of days when the temps hit 28/29 degrees.
I know some of you will say i wasn't there long enough to get a true sense and picture of the place. But all the time i was there i felt it was a good place for a holiday, but really couldn't see my self and family settling there. I felt "out of place" the locals were friendly enough, but treated me as a tourist...yes i know i was one! but they diddn't know that! the flies drove me mad, are they Kamakarsi type or what? they constantly seemed to dive in my eyes, mouth and up my nose! eating outside was impossible coz of them, mossies come out in droves at night. Oh no i sound like a whinging pom!! I already know how difficult it would be for my self and hubby to pick up our careers in perth (i'm a social worker and he's a college lecturer)I am also aware that we stand a better chance, job wise, in Adelaide or Victoria.
I am glad i did the trip, i am now going to concentrate my research on Adelaide, Melbourne etc..
Once again Perth is BEAUTIFULL and maybe if our job percpectives were better, i would definatley still concider it, but it is far too risky without it..
cheers
ellen1
Hi Ellen,
Never mind, at least you took a look first and decided against Perth rather than just coming out here (like we did!)
Good job we didn't meet up, I would have added a longer list to yours with reasons not to come!!

Living an outdoor life isn't easy when your plagued constantly with flies and other flying creatures!

If your still around in Nottm in June I'll meet up with you and we can share stories!

I hope your plans and dreams come true
Old Nov 5th 2003, 12:11 pm
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by RichS
we moved here and sort of fell into sydney by accident. frankly we love it, but we cannot afford to purchase any housing in any areas we'd like to live, so we're now looking around at other prospects.
Initially we thought Melbourne, but after a visit I thought it was pants. It waqs just a feeling thing. My friend who lives there shares a very similar mind set to me and he just loves it, so I guess it really is an individual thing.
there's another post where a woman says she can buy a 3 bed house in Perth for 70k gbp. Thats all well and good, but its in Perth! Its that price for a reason. Namely wages are very low and not so many folk really want to be there long term.

There that should provoke some comment.
There are a few areas where you can still buy property at that value, just a quick glance at the real estate page and in Rockingham there is a 3 bed house for sale from $85,000, but it is Rockingham, certainly not where we would want to live.

Some of the newer suburbs are like large housing estates, some of them quite americanised, many of them built very close together. It all depends on what you want. Sadly we must have expensive taste because things we like in Perth start at least $500,000. If you further into the country you get much more for your money, but even outside Perth you can pay much more than $85,000 for an acre of bush land. There are obviously differences and the further you are from the city the more you get for your money.

There is so much land for sale here its unbelievable, I read that although the eastern states housing market is beginning to settle there is no sign of slow down in Perth. Actually figures show that less houses were sold last month, possibly because WA ran out of bricks and couldn't build them.

To me the supply/demand balance is heavily weighed in supply, but everything I read tells me I'm wrong. I think time will tell. On the road we live on several houses with uninterruptd views of the city have been up for sale since before we arrived three months ago. Not one has been sold, the older properties up for almost $2m newer property $3.3M. prime location, I wonder what the big spenders know.
Old Nov 5th 2003, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Donna

Just out of curiosity, I read your posts about down south and you have mentioned that you may consider going down there. What was it about down south that pulls you? Do you prefer countryside to City life or is it soemthing else.

We went down south for a holiday and loved it as a holiday place but couldn't live there. Weird Innit.

Diane
Old Nov 5th 2003, 12:39 pm
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by DianeOZ
Donna

Just out of curiosity, I read your posts about down south and you have mentioned that you may consider going down there. What was it about down south that pulls you? Do you prefer countryside to City life or is it soemthing else.

We went down south for a holiday and loved it as a holiday place but couldn't live there. Weird Innit.

Diane
hello Diane,
This is something we are really struggling with, we still have had no luck with jobs, and where we rent is expensive for us especially the longer we have no income. We haven't seen anywhere in Perth, that we like and can afford, our budget probably puts us in that position. We did not come this far for us both to have to work full time to pay a mortgage. That's not the lifestyle we desired.

We have thought about buying a business there are several for sale and more affordable that in Perth., but again when you do the figures the tourist industry in the south at least is under developed and it is hard to make ends meet, especially at the inflated market price that there is now. If the current owners are struggling we won't have much chance.

Then we looked at 'lifestyle' business like a B&B plenty for sale amost nice ones a little out of our price range, but if a good enough opportunity came up!! however the down side would be you are really then dictated by your business, time holidays etc. We can't decide what is the compromise we are willing to make.

The other factor is the weather, I am not bothered by weather, but Chris is, he has lots of back problems and they are worse in the cold, damp and he wants sunshine and warmth, down south even the summer has unpredicatble days and whilst it is hitting 30 in perth I think its only late teens in Albany.

The reason we liked it was that the coast line was so stunning. We fell in love with Denmark, a small town about 30mins from Albany. It would mean a much slower pace of life but I think I could manage that, it doesn't have to be forever. But that was on our first trip we plan to go down again and have a further look, could be completely different opinion then.

Where are we going to live and what are we going to do is practically a daily discussion, we hope that something will happen that will give us some direction, either get offered a job or see something we want to buy, at the moment we are still in limbo. Know of any cheap houses in limbo?

Last edited by Jirrupin; Nov 5th 2003 at 12:41 pm.
Old Nov 5th 2003, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Difficult one! Like you say, some compromises will have to be made - but what? Time, Money, Dreams?

My main reason for us coming here was to have more time with the children, I have less now and it is really starting to hit home. The family life I saw with my rose tinteds is just not happening.
We do prefer it here and we're happy so that's fine but we need to decide if we take that extra step and go to one paltry wage but with hopefully a better quality of family time?

Someone tell me the answer?????

I hope you get something sorted soon, life in limbo in UK was bad enough but it must be hell here waiting fot that break to happen.

Good luck
Di

Old Nov 5th 2003, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Firstly I respect Ellen for coming back on and saying Perth was not for her. It does go to show a visit is worthwhile even if only one of you can do it.

I was just saying to someone in Perth on a PM, that they might take a look at Brisbane/sun gold coasts . Firstly its on the East Coast, far more to this side of OZ. Its not that much more expensive than Perth house price wise. It does not get the freezing wet winters of Perth. Summer as I have said, (although many disagree with me) is quite hot, but not much an airconditioner wont fix.

The big point is house Prices are still half the price of Sydney yet its ony a hour and few bucks away thanks to a Pommie airline. Its not for me forever, but I can serioulsy vouch for the fact there are better opportunites here. Anyway if Perths not quite right take a look at Bris before you fly all the way back to the UK. They cant keep saying its OZ's fastest growing area for nothing can they?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.