Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth - Northern Suburb of Butler

Perth - Northern Suburb of Butler

Old Feb 10th 2006, 8:39 pm
Banned

Lewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Perth - Northern Suburb of Butler

Anyone have any comments on this area for a settling family with tiddlers - 6 & 3?
Old Feb 10th 2006, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

kimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud of
Default Re: Perth - Northern Suburb of Butler

Originally Posted by Lewis Lapthorn
Anyone have any comments on this area for a settling family with tiddlers - 6 & 3?

Hi

Have sent you a pm, also have a look at this
www.brighton-intranet.com.au
Butler is the suburb, Brighton is the estate name
K
Old Feb 10th 2006, 9:21 pm
visa granted 16/5/06

soonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimi
Hi

K
Thats a fantastic bit of info, good to read all thats going on there, looks like a great up and coming place for a young family to me.....
Old Feb 10th 2006, 9:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

kimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by soonbethere
Thats a fantastic bit of info, good to read all thats going on there, looks like a great up and coming place for a young family to me.....

Hi

No worries, is that where you guys are thinking of settling? We have a holiday let there and think its a great area.

K
Old Feb 11th 2006, 6:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Dan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to all

Hi there,
I've just returned from a stay in Oz with my Dad who lives in Brighton. I think its a fantastic place for a family - parks, bbq, lakes etc etc. We are hopefully returning to live later in the year and will definately choose Brighton! My kids are 6 and 3 also!
Dan
Old Feb 11th 2006, 11:59 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

It is a lovely suburb......as far north as Marmion Ave goes at the moment, however public transport to that area is really restricted at the moment. My eldest son has 2 friends that live there........if they venture out on a Sunday night and are still out after 7.30pm (on a sunday), then they are stranded!!!
Old Feb 11th 2006, 5:29 pm
Banned

Lewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all very much for your replies.

We drove up as far as Brighton when we were in Perth in 2003. It was mostly bulldozed land then, but we could see it was going to be a massive development.

Didn't give the place a second thought, as we could have afforded property in other areas at the time - but with the price explosion since, we may have to consider living this far north of the CBD. Not that it's a major issue.

Thanks again for your posts.

Lewis
Old Feb 11th 2006, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

Darren S has a brilliant futureDarren S has a brilliant futureDarren S has a brilliant futureDarren S has a brilliant futureDarren S has a brilliant futureDarren S has a brilliant futureDarren S has a brilliant futureDarren S has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by kimi
Hi

K
Hi -

Visted brighton last year on a recce and the estate is fab. Would really recommend it

Darren
Old Feb 12th 2006, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Butler prices are holding their own!!!!!!!

Most surrounding suburbs have properties with bigger sqm for the same money.
Take a look at Joondalup (very central, with loads going on), Kinross and Currambine!!
Old Feb 12th 2006, 10:14 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

It is nice up there but in my view quite isolated. If you are living somewhere in UK where you can walk to a pub, shops etc then you might find it a little out of the way. Personally I prefer the older suburbs but that really is an personal preference. Prices are good in Butler though. Also I have heard that Clarkson High School is rubbish.
Old Feb 12th 2006, 10:35 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
It is nice up there but in my view quite isolated. If you are living somewhere in UK where you can walk to a pub, shops etc then you might find it a little out of the way. Personally I prefer the older suburbs but that really is an personal preference. Prices are good in Butler though. Also I have heard that Clarkson High School is rubbish.
Clarkson High School is one of the worst in WA. If you are looking to spend about $400,000 you're much better off in Mindarie.

I can't believe how expensive the houses in Butler are - for what they are.
Old Feb 12th 2006, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Clarkson High School is one of the worst in WA. If you are looking to spend about $400,000 you're much better off in Mindarie.

I can't believe how expensive the houses in Butler are - for what they are.
I'd agree, but there isn't much in Mindarie at that price these days. And I think the state high school zone will be the same as for Butler (Clarkson High). They're building a new high school in Butler, which should be better but who knows? There are the private religious schools (Peter Moyes, which seems to have excellent facilities but for some reason has been near the bottom in the exam results rankings, and a Baptist school).

The trees are growing fast in Butler, and it's all very nice, but I still find it a bit soulless somehow, despite the "community building" efforts. I went for a walk around the estate the other evening at about 8.30 pm. I saw two human beings and a dog in half an hour of walking. Lots of people love it here, so please don't base any decisions on my jaded ramblings. A couple more years and I'm sure the place will feel more lived in. Loads of shops being built now too. Once Jindalee is more developed (it's a moonscape at present -- nothing lives), I think the area will take on a different feel. Also, Brighton is near to the beach at Quinns Rocks, which is really stunning. Good future outlook, in my view.

We may end up moving somewhere nearer the city, which means older and smaller house, but better schools (especially state schools - important if you can't accept religion), more trees, and less of a "masterplanned" community feel. Sorry if I offend anyone living here or planning to live here. But I just wanted to say that it can feel like this for some people once the novelty of living in a light, bright, spacious new house has worn off. Others love it. Have a look and see what you think.

I think high prices for what you get seems to apply to most of Perth these days, not just Butler. This is Perth after all, not Sydney, London or New York. Surely it has a duty to be cheaper for us!

Last edited by Exile; Feb 12th 2006 at 2:31 pm.
Old Feb 12th 2006, 8:39 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Exile
I'd agree, but there isn't much in Mindarie at that price these days. And I think the state high school zone will be the same as for Butler (Clarkson High). They're building a new high school in Butler, which should be better but who knows? There are the private religious schools (Peter Moyes, which seems to have excellent facilities but for some reason has been near the bottom in the exam results rankings, and a Baptist school).

The trees are growing fast in Butler, and it's all very nice, but I still find it a bit soulless somehow, despite the "community building" efforts. I went for a walk around the estate the other evening at about 8.30 pm. I saw two human beings and a dog in half an hour of walking. Lots of people love it here, so please don't base any decisions on my jaded ramblings. A couple more years and I'm sure the place will feel more lived in. Loads of shops being built now too. Once Jindalee is more developed (it's a moonscape at present -- nothing lives), I think the area will take on a different feel. Also, Brighton is near to the beach at Quinns Rocks, which is really stunning. Good future outlook, in my view.

We may end up moving somewhere nearer the city, which means older and smaller house, but better schools (especially state schools - important if you can't accept religion), more trees, and less of a "masterplanned" community feel. Sorry if I offend anyone living here or planning to live here. But I just wanted to say that it can feel like this for some people once the novelty of living in a light, bright, spacious new house has worn off. Others love it. Have a look and see what you think.

I think high prices for what you get seems to apply to most of Perth these days, not just Butler. This is Perth after all, not Sydney, London or New York. Surely it has a duty to be cheaper for us!
It's funny you saying that it felt a bit of a ghost town when walking around at 8.30pm. We felt exactly the same about Joondalup three years ago. So guess things will get better.

Interesting hearing about the schools. I hear the primary is very good - which for the moment would suite my kids' ages. But the thought of Clarkson High would probably put me off.

Does anyone have any other horror stories/recommendations on secondary schools in the northern suburbs??
Old Feb 12th 2006, 11:30 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

It's funny you saying that it felt a bit of a ghost town when walking around at 8.30pm. We felt exactly the same about Joondalup three years ago. So guess things will get better.

Interesting hearing about the schools. I hear the primary is very good - which for the moment would suite my kids' ages. But the thought of Clarkson High would probably put me off.

Does anyone have any other horror stories/recommendations on secondary schools in the northern suburbs??

St Stephens, Carramar has a good rep. It's private (Uniting Church). In fact, my kids are on the list to go there for high school (as well as St Mark's in Hillarys) - hedging our bets.

Personally I'd steer clear of the Baptist schools - they teach creationism in the science class. No hope for your kids if they want to go to Uni and do a science subject when they are older.
Old Feb 13th 2006, 5:38 am
Alive and boinging!

bal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to all

Ours (5) are all at Peter Moyes and we're happy (and fussy!). The recent performance stats were a gross misrepresentation of reality.
With regard to Butler, we also felt that it was too far north, and too new. Quinns Rocks is very 'mixed' with regard to its areas, and Mindarie overly focussed on one pub, and also expensive. We've found Kinross to be a more affordable, more developed area.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.