Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth north or south main differences?

Perth north or south main differences?

Old Sep 29th 2005, 9:11 am
Happy Member

kris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Perth north or south main differences?

Well our application is being lodged today Wehey we are planning to head to Perth as we think there will be more work for Rob (plasterer) there!
What are the main differences between North and South if any!
We are basically family of 5 me Rob and kids (3 Girls) 12/9/4
So looking for the usual family friendly things close to where Rob will find work!

Any ideas i know everyone has there own opinions on everything but any input would be appreciated!!

cheers
Kris xx
Old Sep 29th 2005, 9:32 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Perth north or south main differences?

The North ... Sundrenched beaches with suburbs to die for

The South ... Industrial wasteland :scared:

Add salt accordingly

Three Legs

Originally Posted by kris maynard
Well our application is being lodged today Wehey we are planning to head to Perth as we think there will be more work for Rob (plasterer) there!
So looking for the usual family friendly things close to where Rob will find work!

Any ideas i know everyone has there own opinions on everything but any input would be appreciated!!

cheers
Kris xx
Old Sep 29th 2005, 9:40 am
Happy Member

kris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Three Legs
The North ... Sundrenched beaches with suburbs to die for

The South ... Industrial wasteland :scared:

Add salt accordingly

Three Legs
Honestys the best policy Cheers

kris xx
Old Sep 29th 2005, 3:57 pm
AJ100

AJ100 is on a distinguished road

we found the south once out of your estate complex it was very similar to america as in the huge advertising billboards and shops on the main strips.and a lot of building work ie housing estates and the railtrack but wil be good when completed.
the north seems to have less and also seems more refined hilarys and sorrento in particular also the great beaches from there to cottesloe but you will have to do lots of driving to find your ideal area

andy
Old Sep 29th 2005, 5:38 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Stop talkin the north shore up i don't want prices to jump in the next 3 months

Mandurah is lovely and up and comming area just further out of the city!
Old Sep 29th 2005, 6:55 pm
Parent Contr.143

lened is an unknown quantity at this point

What about the Hills . Lots of space . Cheaper house prices with large gardens . Small friendly communities . Good schools . You can afford your own pool and go to the beaches when you want to. My advice is rent for a while and have a good look around .
Old Sep 29th 2005, 8:33 pm
Never been to Australia

kevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lened
What about the Hills . Lots of space . Cheaper house prices with large gardens . Small friendly communities . Good schools . You can afford your own pool and go to the beaches when you want to. My advice is rent for a while and have a good look around .
When you say the hills, what suburbs are they exactly.

Kevin
Old Sep 29th 2005, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

PJ & B is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kris maynard

cheers
Kris xx
Hi Kris

We are moving South to Secret Harbour. Its a lovely area and close to Mandurah which is equally beautiful.

We personally prefer South of Perth to North. We have 3 kids 11, 10 & 7 and felt it was a great place for them to grow up. We found the people really freindly, and there are lots of young families living in the area. The primary school is also very good.

We found the house and land prices cheaper South and with the rail link going into Secret Harbour and a brand new secondary school in the process of being built, it will certainly increase house prices in the near future.

I think its all down to personal choice at the end of the day. Best to look North and South and see what you prefer.

Take care

B
Old Sep 29th 2005, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

Darren S has a brilliant futureDarren S has a brilliant futureDarren S has a brilliant futureDarren S has a brilliant futureDarren S has a brilliant futureDarren S has a brilliant futureDarren S has a brilliant futureDarren S has a brilliant future

Hi
We much preferred the north, you can't beat it but the south is growing and Mandurah is nice as this is about 45 mins drive from Perth. Didn't like Rockingham at all and seemed a bit of a dive although we didn;t sepnd much time there. The new estate at Brighton (north of perth ) is really nice and prices are good. The rail link will soon be there and you will be able to get to the centre in around 20 mins from what we were told. There are schools already on the estate and a pub being built and most roads on there are ten mins drive from the beach.
What more can you ask for?
Old Sep 30th 2005, 12:09 am
Forum Regular

Steve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really nice

Originally Posted by kevinl
When you say the hills, what suburbs are they exactly.

Kevin
Kalamunda, Lesmurdie, Pickering Brook, Piesse Brook, Bicton, Roleystone, Gooseberry Hill, etc etc etc
Old Sep 30th 2005, 1:55 am
Alive and boinging!

bal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to all

Most of the Aussies that I work with who are relocating to Perth are looking in the hills - Mundaring, Sawyers Valley, Darlington etc.
I like the northern suburbs up to Iluka/Currumbine - north of this the development is newer, there are fewer trees, less infrastructure etc.
I can't comment on the south asI haven't had much time to look round, but immediately south of the river is certainly beautiful (and expensive).
Having said this we'll probably end up living in Mindarie as the kids are/will be in school up there, and the shuttle runs to/from Ocean Reef are getting too expensive.
Old Sep 30th 2005, 2:27 am
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light

We are renting in City Beach (south of Scarborough) but really like the Hills area. Upsides of the Hills - good value for money property, big plots, community feel, feels like 'real australia, ie bush, red earth, snakes ( :scared: ).
Downsides - if you need to work in central Perth - its a long commute; it gets far hotter in the summer without the 'Doctor' to cool things down. Probably cooler in winter - I think frosts are a distinct possibility up there. The coast seems a long away away (probably only a hours drive max).

But, like everywhere in Perth, prices are rising!
Old Sep 30th 2005, 2:45 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by webgum
We are renting in City Beach (south of Scarborough) but really like the Hills area. Upsides of the Hills - good value for money property, big plots, community feel, feels like 'real australia, ie bush, red earth, snakes ( :scared: ).
Downsides - if you need to work in central Perth - its a long commute; it gets far hotter in the summer without the 'Doctor' to cool things down. Probably cooler in winter - I think frosts are a distinct possibility up there. The coast seems a long away away (probably only a hours drive max).

But, like everywhere in Perth, prices are rising!
I drove out to Kelmscott (not sure if its classed as "in the hills" more likely at the foot of them, did it at 5:20 one night a few weeks ago, it was hell, the traffic was a nightmare, it was getting darker and darker, raining on and off, so many sets of lights to get through and the drivers seemed even worse than normal. It took us about 40mins to do that journey so I guess would be about another 10-20 to get to "the hills" (which are nice enough once you get there) but at the end of the day I couldnt do that journey on a regular basis, I was totally wacked once we got home, headache, sore eyes etc, reminded me of queuing out of London on a busy A road to get round the M25 at night, one of the main reason we came out here! Plus as you say it so far to the beach, and having any sort of social life where you dont have to rely on a car would pretty much be a no no.
Unless people are 110% on living out there I would strongly advise renting out that way before you buy, just incase its not what you expect.
Steve
Old Sep 30th 2005, 3:47 am
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by steve99
I drove out to Kelmscott (not sure if its classed as "in the hills" more likely at the foot of them, did it at 5:20 one night a few weeks ago, it was hell, the traffic was a nightmare, it was getting darker and darker, raining on and off, so many sets of lights to get through and the drivers seemed even worse than normal. It took us about 40mins to do that journey so I guess would be about another 10-20 to get to "the hills" (which are nice enough once you get there) but at the end of the day I couldnt do that journey on a regular basis, I was totally wacked once we got home, headache, sore eyes etc, reminded me of queuing out of London on a busy A road to get round the M25 at night, one of the main reason we came out here! Plus as you say it so far to the beach, and having any sort of social life where you dont have to rely on a car would pretty much be a no no.
Unless people are 110% on living out there I would strongly advise renting out that way before you buy, just incase its not what you expect.
Steve
Hi Steve, I agree about living there first. We have two sets of friends who live up there, so go there to visit maybe everyother weekend, so gives me a good feel of what its like, and the roads aren't too bad. Hubby is very keen to buy up there, me .... not so sure as I do love the ocean. As I turn out of our road here and see it twinkling in the sunshine (well, not today - it looks like the North sea today !!) I think, how could I move away from this? There again, how will we ever afford to buy in City Beach. Wembley Downs will probably be the nearest thing we can afford.
Old Sep 30th 2005, 3:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by steve99
Steve
We are up in Roleystone...

In the "foothills" is the term the locals call it for the likes of Gosnells, Kelmscott and Armadale. Forrestfield and High Wycombe too.

I agree with Steve about the travel time by car to the CBD, the traffic is stop start all the way to Kelmscott with the lights. However, there is always the train which only only takes (from Gosnells to CBD) 20minutes.
So if your work is city based then train is best and only cost $130 per month for travel card. A case of Park n Ride or Kiss n Drop.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.