Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth. the north south divide

Perth. the north south divide

Old Apr 12th 2005, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

delia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Perth. the north south divide

I have been looking at this forum for a few years to get info about coming to Aus' and have now started to browse it once again to read up on the saga's of others wanting to move over here. The one thing I seem to notice is that most potential migrants look to move to suburbs north of the river, and by this I mean those suburbs around the Joondalup area down to say Kingsley. These are the newer areas that have been developed over the 10/15 years or so. No one ever seems to look to the south where there is currently billions of dollars being spent on infrastructure for the expansion of Perth. For those who are still in the UK or haven,t visited Perth for a while there is a train line being built from the city to Mandurah, extensions to the Roe And Tonkin Highways, a bypass to Bunbury due to start in 2007, and a de-salination plant to be built at Kwinana. Also, for someone who has only seen Perth as a holiday maker or on a brief 'reccie' the majority of industry is south, areas such as Welshpool, Kewdale, Canning Vale, Bibra Lake, Kwinana, I can just keep going on. The Mitchell Freeway coming south every morning is a nightmare, and for those looking for a lifestyle change won,t find one. The northern beaches are lovely I admit but so are those in the south, and anyway the beach euphoria soons wears off when you live here, and visits will become more infrequent for the 4/5 months that you can go. I think people should take a long at the whole city before making a choice on where to settle and not be so influenced by the amount of expats in the north.
Old Apr 12th 2005, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

Jamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really nice
Default Re: Perth. the north south divide

well said
Old Apr 12th 2005, 3:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

boom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by delia
I have been looking at this forum for a few years to get info about coming to Aus' and have now started to browse it once again to read up on the saga's of others wanting to move over here. The one thing I seem to notice is that most potential migrants look to move to suburbs north of the river, and by this I mean those suburbs around the Joondalup area down to say Kingsley. These are the newer areas that have been developed over the 10/15 years or so. No one ever seems to look to the south where there is currently billions of dollars being spent on infrastructure for the expansion of Perth. For those who are still in the UK or haven,t visited Perth for a while there is a train line being built from the city to Mandurah, extensions to the Roe And Tonkin Highways, a bypass to Bunbury due to start in 2007, and a de-salination plant to be built at Kwinana. Also, for someone who has only seen Perth as a holiday maker or on a brief 'reccie' the majority of industry is south, areas such as Welshpool, Kewdale, Canning Vale, Bibra Lake, Kwinana, I can just keep going on. The Mitchell Freeway coming south every morning is a nightmare, and for those looking for a lifestyle change won,t find one. The northern beaches are lovely I admit but so are those in the south, and anyway the beach euphoria soons wears off when you live here, and visits will become more infrequent for the 4/5 months that you can go. I think people should take a long at the whole city before making a choice on where to settle and not be so influenced by the amount of expats in the north.
we are moving to Rockingham, close to the end of the new train line and really reasonable house prices, it's also right on the shore so you get the best of both worlds.
Old Apr 12th 2005, 4:15 pm
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice

Originally Posted by Steve&Clare
we are moving to Rockingham, close to the end of the new train line and really reasonable house prices, it's also right on the shore so you get the best of both worlds.
My brother lives there..nice place...might be where we end up
Old Apr 12th 2005, 4:20 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Please can you keep quiet about south of perth as we're hoping to head that way and dont want house prices to end up out of our reach!!
Old Apr 12th 2005, 4:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

boom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bridiej
Please can you keep quiet about south of perth as we're hoping to head that way and dont want house prices to end up out of our reach!!
prices are going to rocket as soon as the rail link to mandurrah is finished, which I think is mid 2006. We are hoping to get in and buy before the end of the year, obviously depending on how long it takes me to find work. South of the river is defintely my choice, good beaches and less whinging poms!
Old Apr 12th 2005, 4:30 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Hope we get there before that too......
Old Apr 12th 2005, 9:21 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Its a hard one north? south? south? north?

I will be looking at the north as i like the area but know that the south is great too !
Still will be nice to have to choose which lovely area will do for me
Old Apr 12th 2005, 11:34 pm
Badge

I always get these images of Poms walking around in Man U tops and labels for some reason, whenever I hear about Joondalup and the north.

Badge

Old Apr 12th 2005, 11:52 pm
Just Joined

Maldepays will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Badge
I always get these images of Poms walking around in Man U tops and labels for some reason, whenever I hear about Joondalup and the north.

Badge
Last year we had a friend visiting from Melbourne, and one day we went up to the shopping mall at Joondalup. Before going in I told him to say nothing out loud, as anyone with an Aussie accent would stand out like a sore thumb!
Old Apr 12th 2005, 11:52 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Badge

Badge
Your image is fact, not just Man U but Leeds, Newcastle, Everton etc...
Old Apr 13th 2005, 1:12 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

I heard that Rockingham was with place populated with most Brits.

It would be interesting to do a poll on this cos there are heaps of people on here or used to be on here that were from the south.

We went to Mandurah for the weekend recently and it was lovely. i would like to live there when I am an oldie.
Old Apr 13th 2005, 1:31 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

I was just going to say, Mandurah and Rockingham are full of 'poms' too.

But the rest of the south has less 'poms' than the north probably, not sure.

There was an article about it in the West a while ago, with %'s of british in the different suburbs, some were around 30%, and I'm quite sure Rockingham was one of them....

Old Apr 13th 2005, 4:06 am
Forum Regular

delia is an unknown quantity at this point

Something else new migrants might want to consider are the hills to the south east of Perth, from Kalamunda through to Jarrahdale, and especially Rolystone in the middle of these. I went looking at blocks at Churchmans Brook and the Araluen Resort where you can currently buy a 2000/3000m2 block with city or valley views build a house surrounded by other magnificent homes and not have to worry about listening to your neighbour's tv, for about 450,000 dollars. It sounds a lot, but a decent deposit from the house sale of a 30 something couple from the uk who have been on the property ladder for a few years and it is very achievable. If you saw the areas and the homes, and did the maths, you will then have the lifestyle change I'm sure many people are looking for. I live in the hills myself in a town called Byford and its a lovely place to live, people know me at the shops, the neighbours come and say hello, kids having fun in streets. It's worth a look.
Old Apr 13th 2005, 4:33 am
been there........

TheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by delia
Something else new migrants might want to consider are the hills to the south east of Perth, from Kalamunda through to Jarrahdale, and especially Rolystone in the middle of these. I went looking at blocks at Churchmans Brook and the Araluen Resort where you can currently buy a 2000/3000m2 block with city or valley views build a house surrounded by other magnificent homes and not have to worry about listening to your neighbour's tv, for about 450,000 dollars. It sounds a lot, but a decent deposit from the house sale of a 30 something couple from the uk who have been on the property ladder for a few years and it is very achievable. If you saw the areas and the homes, and did the maths, you will then have the lifestyle change I'm sure many people are looking for. I live in the hills myself in a town called Byford and its a lovely place to live, people know me at the shops, the neighbours come and say hello, kids having fun in streets. It's worth a look.
You're absolutely right, Delia, that whole area between Great Eastern Highway and Jarrahdale Road is beautiful - and the further east you go, the prettier it gets. Maybe it doesn't get mentioned often because so many people seem to stipulate that they want to live near a beach? Personally, I prefer trees and hills to sand, but maybe that's due to my love of the Yorkshire Dales.
But one of most serene places I know is Langford Park - out of school holidays, that is! Alcoa surely did a mgnificent job of re-afforestation, after they'd strip-mined it in the 60's, 70's.

Last edited by TheCrone; Apr 13th 2005 at 4:37 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.