Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth no Crime City ?

Perth no Crime City ?

Old Nov 13th 2002, 10:30 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Perth no Crime City ?

Wonderful safe City , if you stop in your own backyard.

Robberies and attacks are up

By Ben Harvey

FORTY West Australians are bashed each day, a car is stolen every hour and a house is burgled every 14 minutes.

The latest snapshot of crime in WA indicates more people are being robbed and attacked, despite a record police budget, extra officers graduating from the academy and the toughest crime legislation in Australia.

Police Minister Michelle Roberts said the $530 million allocated to police this financial year had not yielded dividends.

"We have put a significant investment into the police service," she said. "In terms of the crime statistics, we haven't seen dividends at this stage."

The total number of reported crimes in the three months to September compared with the same period last year increased marginally to 66,587, or 731 crimes every day.

There were 24,477 thefts in the past three months, or one every six minutes.
Old Nov 14th 2002, 3:12 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Australia also topped the western nations for Burglaries, which I can safely from personal experience testify to.
Old Nov 14th 2002, 3:43 am
Just Joined

Luvvly_Jubbly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Perth no Crime City ? I fear not!

Why does there appear to be a big emphasis on crime on this forum? Is it to deter potential migrants from entering this country?
I find this almost laughable, the majority of people who enter this country from the UK will have been exposed to crime in one way or the other so these attempts at enlightening us with news snippets on this supposed wave of crime descending on Perth will have been in vain.
My observations are:
The residents of Perth seem to be more concerned with avoiding getting a ticket for not wearing a seatbelt than they are for serious crime ie. 'bashing' or burglary.

I have never felt threatened or imitated walking down the street

As opposed to the UK where:

Knife attacks far outweigh the number of 'bashing' that goes on in Perth/Oz
Gun crime- it seems in the UK that you only have to look at someone the wrong way or accidentally step on someone’s foot in a club to get shot or a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time...

Where OAP's are regularly, beaten, robbed, mugged and raped.
Where children cannot play without the fear of abduction.
Where antisocial behaviour is now an every day norm.
Where by having a quiet drink you can find someone trying to ram a glass in your face

Need I go on?

Yes there is crime, whereever there are people you have crime, but it is on a relatively small scale. So don’t be perturbed Perth/Oz has crime yes.....but compared to the UK....................

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Wonderful safe City , if you stop in your own backyard.

Robberies and attacks are up

By Ben Harvey

FORTY West Australians are bashed each day, a car is stolen every hour and a house is burgled every 14 minutes.

The latest snapshot of crime in WA indicates more people are being robbed and attacked, despite a record police budget, extra officers graduating from the academy and the toughest crime legislation in Australia.

Police Minister Michelle Roberts said the $530 million allocated to police this financial year had not yielded dividends.

"We have put a significant investment into the police service," she said. "In terms of the crime statistics, we haven't seen dividends at this stage."

The total number of reported crimes in the three months to September compared with the same period last year increased marginally to 66,587, or 731 crimes every day.

There were 24,477 thefts in the past three months, or one every six minutes.
Old Nov 14th 2002, 4:14 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Luvvly_Jubbly
Why does there appear to be a big emphasis on crime on this forum? Is it to deter potential migrants from entering this country?
I find this almost laughable, the majority of people who enter this country from the UK will have been exposed to crime in one way or the other so these attempts at enlightening us with news snippets on this supposed wave of crime descending on Perth will have been in vain.
My observations are:
The residents of Perth seem to be more concerned with avoiding getting a ticket for not wearing a seatbelt than they are for serious crime ie. 'bashing' or burglary.

Gun crime- it seems in the UK that you only have to look at someone the wrong way or accidentally step on someone’s foot in a club to get shot or a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time...

Where by having a quiet drink you can find someone trying to ram a glass in your face

Need I go on?

Yes there is crime, whereever there are people you have crime, but it is on a relatively small scale. So don’t be perturbed Perth/Oz has crime yes.....but compared to the UK....................

You sir I take it do not yet live in Perth ,if you did would understand that all that you quoted goes on here too.Gun crime is way out of hand , the Asian gangs rule parts of Perth streets , bikies control protection rackets and most of the drug trade .
Houses here are starting to have heavy shutters and alarms on them to keep out the burglers , the town centre is very iffy at night around Northbridge, most public toilets have bins for used needles 28% of population use drugs that alone incresses crime.
You feel safe because you have yet to know any different but after your car has been broken into a few times and house robbed maybe you may change your opinion.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Nov 14th 2002 at 4:24 am.
Old Nov 14th 2002, 4:24 am

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

My observations are:

Need I go on?

You are as guilty as those who exaggerate about Perth!
Why do people exaggerate to make a point on this forum?
I know there's crime out there but get real! I personally, my family and my personal friends to the best of my knowledge, have never been the victim of any crime - I have never been mugged or beaten up, never had my car stolen or vandalised, never had my house broken into or my property damaged or stolen. I have never even seen a knifing or a shooting or a mugging or a glassing or even felt threatened and I never seen anyone else being beaten up or mugged either.
I cant help thinking that I must be living on another planet to you lot? The world I inhabit is one in which the vast majority are ordinary law abiding folk like me. I've lived in the South West of England then London for several years and following that Sydney. God knows where you people live who say OAPs are regularly raped, you get glasses smashed into your faces whilst having a quiet drink or shot in night clubs? Perhaps you live in that special place called 'television land' or perhaps its 'media world', I dunno, but its not where I've lived.
Old Nov 14th 2002, 7:36 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Perth no Crime City ? I fear not

Your right Herman, it NOT where you live and it's certainly not an exageration or a case of bragging.....if you ever get out of the wilderness down there and get to the real world, no not TV land, somewhere where the majority of the UK population is holed up ie London, Manachester, Birmingham, Liverpool Bristol, Cardiff, Glasgow etc... you will see and hear the crimes I have mentioned. Great, you haven't been affected by crime, I feel glad for your but it does exist.....
Please feel free to browse this website....wwww.newhamrecorder.co.uk..and you will see its not TV world where I USED to live, no i'm not shallow, to advise you and Mr Pommie Bastard, I now live in Perth having escaped the rat race. I have grown up in a city that has worsened with regard to crime, i've seen and READ the changes, more knives, guns...don't you ever watch the news down there?

And Mr Pommie Bastard, the expert on Perth's social problems...I believe you've lived in Perth for a few years, great, but all my friends here have been born HERE and they don't rant on about this great crime wave you profess to be taking Perth by storm, yes there's Junkies...Bikers, Street Gangs...but like most people of that ilk they fight amongst themselves and keep their drug habits to themselves, if you want drugs and mix in those circles then your aware of it's pitfalls...yes Junkies turn to crime to feed their habit and burglary is probably the consequence but alas it exists and we cannot stop it...I just feel that you are blowing things out of all proportion...I understand you may head back to the to the UK....great..turn the TV off, don't read a newspaper....I wish you well..get a little cottage down in the South West near Herman and you'll be fine...........
Old Nov 14th 2002, 4:32 pm
Just Joined

michael29 is an unknown quantity at this point

Your right Herman, it NOT where you live and it's certainly not an exageration or a case of bragging.....if you ever get out of the wilderness down there and get to the real world, no not TV land, somewhere where the majority of the UK population is holed up ie London, Manachester, Birmingham, Liverpool Bristol, Cardiff, Glasgow etc... you will see and hear the crimes I have mentioned. Great, you haven't been affected by crime, I feel glad for your but it does exist.....
Please feel free to browse this website....wwww.newhamrecorder.co.uk..and you will see its not TV world where I USED to live, no i'm not shallow, to advise you and Mr Pommie Bastard, I now live in Perth having escaped the rat race. I have grown up in a city that has worsened with regard to crime, i've seen and READ the changes, more knives, guns...don't you ever watch the news down there?

And Mr Pommie Bastard, the expert on Perth's social problems...I believe you've lived in Perth for a few years, great, but all my friends here have been born HERE and they don't rant on about this great crime wave you profess to be taking Perth by storm, yes there's Junkies...Bikers, Street Gangs...but like most people of that ilk they fight amongst themselves and keep their drug habits to themselves, if you want drugs and mix in those circles then your aware of it's pitfalls...yes Junkies turn to crime to feed their habit and burglary is probably the consequence but alas it exists and we cannot stop it...I just feel that you are blowing things out of all proportion...I understand you may head back to the to the UK....great..turn the TV off, don't read a newspaper....I wish you well..get a little cottage down in the South West near Herman and you'll be fine...........
I couldnt agree with you more Luvvly Jubbly, PB has a problem with Perth itself and he thinks the whole world owes him something just because the twit flew over here blind without finding out what it was like.The guys got the interlect of a worm,like yourself and your friends i too have lived in Perth for 20 years and the crap that flows from his mouth is unbelievable.Crime in Perth is no diffrent from anywhere else in the world ,it happens big deal.If all you do all day is read the paper and quote things from it then im afraid your a sad bastard PB,half the things you say on this site are full of shit and taken out of context.you pal need to get a life and piss off back to the rock you climbed out of.Australia could do without whinging little turds like yourself,i just feel for England now ,so spoken like a true Aussie if you dont like it F*&K OFF.
Apologise for the decent people that read these posts but PB does nothing on here to help anyone or anything.
Old Nov 14th 2002, 6:43 pm
huge,throbbing member

baldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nice

Weren't sure which newspaper article to quote,as they're all so interesting-not
It was either Kym Marsh ex Hearsay 'Babes' sexual preferences ,or one about Blairs failings
Anyway,seems that Blairs admitted that he's failed on crime,& people are more scared than ever to walk the streets after dark-or summat like that-anyway,as has been said so many times before,if you dig deep enough you'll find dirt-no matter what country you take the shovel to !

BB-Sunday Sport subscriber
Old Nov 14th 2002, 8:27 pm

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

I have lived in central Southampton, central Bristol, then Putney in London and now central Sydney - never in the wilderness. Still does not change the fact you are exaggerating to try to make a point. If there is apparently violent and degrading crime happening everywhere in the UK all the time, then its the same here as the statistics are similar. The truth is that violent and degrading crime is still relatively rare in the UK as it is in Australia. Tell my friend who lives in Jo'burg and has been shot once when he was just 13, ordered killed in a gang burglery but only alive because the gang member given the order could'nt pull the trigger at the last minute and recently car jacked and shot at yet again but managed to escape, that the UK has a crime problem and he'll laugh himself silly. UK a dangerous and violent place? Dont make me laugh you muppet!
Old Nov 14th 2002, 10:13 pm
Banned

Originally posted by michael29
I couldnt agree with you more Luvvly Jubbly, PB has a problem with Perth itself and he thinks the whole world owes him something just because the twit flew over here blind without finding out what it was like.The guys got the interlect of a worm,like yourself and your friends i too have lived in Perth for 20 years and the crap that flows from his mouth is unbelievable.Crime in Perth is no diffrent from anywhere else in the world ,it happens big deal.If all you do all day is read the paper and quote things from it then im afraid your a sad bastard PB,half the things you say on this site are full of shit and taken out of context.you pal need to get a life and piss off back to the rock you climbed out of.Australia could do without whinging little turds like yourself,i just feel for England now ,so spoken like a true Aussie if you dont like it F*&K OFF.
Apologise for the decent people that read these posts but PB does nothing on here to help anyone or anything.

CHILDREN are more lethal now than in the past, according to psychologist Andrew Fuller.

The Melbourne therapist told an education conference in Fremantle yesterday that Australian young people were now more likely to carry out random acts of violence than in previuos years.

He blamed arcade and video games which he said desensitised, trained and told young people violence was acceptable.

Young people were part of a generation motivated by envy where human relationships were devalued and people were expendable, he said. "I work with a lot of young men who are violent to others and five years ago there used to be an internal logic to it; it was aimed at someone," Mr Fuller said.

"Now, it is more about envy and their right to something that someone else has. This means there is more randomness to it."
Old Nov 14th 2002, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

pommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant future

I would be MOST grateful if you would refrain from using typical Australian responses when you are annoyed (see above) as my 10 year old son has access to this site (and why shouldn't he).

As far as this particular argument is concerned, there is crime everywhere. We lived in a "nice" area of Hampshire, but regularly had our cars smashed, shed and garage broken into, bricks hurled through the lounge windows after closing time etc. etc. Having said that, and to put forward a balanced view, we now live in an even "nicer" suburb of Brisbane (about 18 kms outside the city) and last weekend our neighbours had around $10,000 of damage done to their property when a "party" got out of hand, not to mention all the damage caused by the "hoons" after another party just up the road a month or so ago.
Yes, crime exists all over the world, and no doubt is rising all over the world. It was part of the reason we left the UK, but lets have reasoned, balanced arguments, PLEASE...
Old Nov 14th 2002, 11:02 pm
Banned

No compassion

IS THERE any sense of compassion in our justice system? Colin Houghton is sentenced to 16 months in jail (with parole) for trying to save people's jobs and keep a company afloat. This good family man did not benefit financially from his actions and he has accepted full responsibility for them.

By contrast, the three evil thugs who viciously assaulted a family restaurant owner and his staff will be out on our streets again in eight months. The victims of this violent crime will be immensely more traumatised than any of the Ford creditors involved in the Houghton case, yet the perpetrators will be out in half the time.

Why are crimes involving money dealt with so much more harshly than crimes against people? Yet again the justice system places more value on cash and grossly devalues the safety of decent citizens and in doing so fails us miserably.
LEIGH GIBBS, Willetton.

Too much tolerance

RICHARD BARLOW'S observation that "we can burn our flag and not be charged with a crime seems to me a very potent symbol of what it is to be Australian" (12/11) made me realise that it is possible to be too tolerant.

Our tolerance is resulting in a complete lack of respect, not just for symbols, but for everything and everyone. Respect for authority, and for each other, and for the symbols of what we stand for is necessary if we are to be strong and preserve our national identity.

As things are, we are trying to please everyone with a grievance. The result is that we are weak as water - no substance, no backbone. Our laws and practices are bringing our whole nation down to the level of our lowest, most disgruntled, most unproductive citizens. Law-abiding citizens are becoming victims. Have we lost our identity?
PENNY BROOMHALL, Merredin.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Nov 14th 2002 at 11:04 pm.
Old Nov 15th 2002, 1:53 am
Banned

.Crime in Perth is no diffrent from anywhere else in the world ,it happens big deal.If all you do all day is read the paper and quote things from it then im afraid your a sad bastard PB,half the things you say on this site are full of shit and taken out of context.you pal need to get a life and piss off back to the rock you climbed out of.Australia could do without whinging little turds like yourself,i just feel for England now ,so spoken like a true Aussie if you dont like it F*&K OFF.
These are Polices reports and figures , sorry I just posted what is reported if that upsets you so be it? facts about Australia never go down well do they.
We Poms love to whinge nearly as much as the Aussies, the people who have no life seem to be the dreamers on this site.
Old Nov 21st 2002, 11:29 am
Just Joined

Lightbulb Re: Perth no Crime City ? I fear not

Originally posted by Herman
I have lived in central Southampton, central Bristol, then Putney in London and now central Sydney - never in the wilderness. Still does not change the fact you are exaggerating to try to make a point. If there is apparently violent and degrading crime happening everywhere in the UK all the time, then its the same here as the statistics are similar. The truth is that violent and degrading crime is still relatively rare in the UK as it is in Australia. Tell my friend who lives in Jo'burg and has been shot once when he was just 13, ordered killed in a gang burglery but only alive because the gang member given the order could'nt pull the trigger at the last minute and recently car jacked and shot at yet again but managed to escape, that the UK has a crime problem and he'll laugh himself silly. UK a dangerous and violent place? Dont make me laugh you muppet!
Whats all this about? Talk about bragging and exageration, seems like you've been watching too much of the discovery channel.....

Tell my friend who lives in Jo'burg and has been shot once when he was just 13, ordered killed in a gang burglery but only alive because the gang member given the order could'nt pull the trigger at the last minute and recently car jacked and shot at yet again but managed to escape, that the UK has a crime problem and he'll laugh himself silly. UK a dangerous and violent place? Dont make me laugh you muppet!

Oh dear did you have to resort to personal insults didn't you.
Where did you learn such stern language? was it in the ghetto's of Central Southampton...muppet...
As for Putney one of the most affluent areas of London, you must have been right in the middle of a crime wave there......

Save your half witted responses as you really are starting to bore me now....yawn...yawn...
Old Nov 21st 2002, 1:22 pm
UDS
Forum Regular

UDS is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pommie bastard
These are Polices reports and figures , sorry I just posted what is reported . . .
Perhaps so. But, in a forum which discusses the advantages and disadvantages of moving to Australia, the figures are meaningless unless compared with figures from the UK and other countries. If you were seriously interested in exploring these issues you'd post both sets of figures. The fact that you only ever post information which relates to Australia, and that you always post commentary suggesting that these figures reflect badly on Australia, tends to give the rest of us the impression that you're interested in whinging, not discussing the issues or providing relevant information.

I know you will be tempted to reply that you are simply posting to counteract the unrealistically good picture painted by others, but this excuse is wearing a bit thin now. Look at the header you chose for this thread: "Perth no Crime City ? I fear not". The only person I have ever heard describe Perth as a "no crime city" is you, in that header. Making statements like this in order to refute them and then pretending that you are countering a false picture put about by others is, frankly, pathetic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.