Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth to Mornington Peninsula - any views?

Perth to Mornington Peninsula - any views?

Old May 5th 2006, 2:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Perth to Mornington Peninsula - any views?

After two years and a bit in Perth’s northern suburbs, I decided I would rather live in the UK again. Unfortunately, my wife and three kids wouldn't, and we live in a democracy, so I'm now resigned to sticking it out and trying to make the best of the good things we have here in Australia, rather than dwelling on what we don’t have. As someone once said, there are worse things than living in the sunshine. As one option, we're now thinking about moving to Victoria for a bit less of that sunshine.

If we stay in Perth, I'm considering moving somewhere nearer the city, in search of an older, established area with trees and closer to where the life is. Also looking for good state schools. The way house prices are in Perth now, to do this we'd be spending around $800k to $1m, which is a frightening amount and could buy a very nice place even in most parts of the UK.

I have heard good things about the Mornington Peninsula near Melbourne, and am wondering if anyone thinks it would be worth making the move across the country. I'm looking for an older, established area with big trees and a bit of life (not wall-to-wall suburbia), low crime, and decent schools, preferably state schools, or private schools with very low-key religion. I work from home so commuting is not an issue but I'd need broadband internet. Also looking for a smaller price tag than abovementioned central Perth properties. Real estate websites seem to list very nice houses in the area for around $400k to $600k. Is this realistic, or are these homes likely to be in rough areas?

Any views on life on the Mornington Peninsula would be very much appreciated. A search of earlier posts suggests that the biggest problem is the commute to the city, which wouldn't apply to me. Is there anything I'm missing? I May have to go over and take a look (have been to Melbourne before, but not the Mornington area).

Cheers,

Exile
Old May 5th 2006, 3:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth to Mornington Peninsula - any views?

Originally Posted by Exile
After two years and a bit in Perth’s northern suburbs, I decided I would rather live in the UK again. Unfortunately, my wife and three kids wouldn't, and we live in a democracy, so I'm now resigned to sticking it out and trying to make the best of the good things we have here in Australia, rather than dwelling on what we don’t have. As someone once said, there are worse things than living in the sunshine. As one option, we're now thinking about moving to Victoria for a bit less of that sunshine.

If we stay in Perth, I'm considering moving somewhere nearer the city, in search of an older, established area with trees and closer to where the life is. Also looking for good state schools. The way house prices are in Perth now, to do this we'd be spending around $800k to $1m, which is a frightening amount and could buy a very nice place even in most parts of the UK.

I have heard good things about the Mornington Peninsula near Melbourne, and am wondering if anyone thinks it would be worth making the move across the country. I'm looking for an older, established area with big trees and a bit of life (not wall-to-wall suburbia), low crime, and decent schools, preferably state schools, or private schools with very low-key religion. I work from home so commuting is not an issue but I'd need broadband internet. Also looking for a smaller price tag than abovementioned central Perth properties. Real estate websites seem to list very nice houses in the area for around $400k to $600k. Is this realistic, or are these homes likely to be in rough areas?

Any views on life on the Mornington Peninsula would be very much appreciated. A search of earlier posts suggests that the biggest problem is the commute to the city, which wouldn't apply to me. Is there anything I'm missing? I May have to go over and take a look (have been to Melbourne before, but not the Mornington area).

Cheers,

Exile
I just saw jetstar are doing a perth to melboure super special for $149 one way. I think thats about $100 cheaper than usual, one day only thing, just thougth I would mention it in case it was of use to you.

Only thing I would say about property websites and melbourne is if you are used to the newer housing in WA and QLD, the state of some of the houses is a bit of a shock. Some are very run down, need work, or detonation (is that a word) in some cases
Old May 5th 2006, 3:09 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
I just saw jetstar are doing a perth to melboure super special for $149 one way. I think thats about $100 cheaper than usual, one day only thing, just thougth I would mention it in case it was of use to you.

Only thing I would say about property websites and melbourne is if you are used to the newer housing in WA and QLD, the state of some of the houses is a bit of a shock. Some are very run down, need work, or detonation (is that a word) in some cases
They fly from perth to Melbourne Avalon, what's the story there? Sounds like Ryanair who fly to say, Stockholm, only the airport is an ex-military airfield with no facilities 100kms from Stockholm.
Old May 5th 2006, 3:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
They fly from perth to Melbourne Avalon, what's the story there? Sounds like Ryanair who fly to say, Stockholm, only the airport is an ex-military airfield with no facilities 100kms from Stockholm.
Look my experiences with jetstar are usually missing plane parts and 4 hour delays and unknown wet substances on the seats. But I believe as you say avalon is no tullamarine (the decent melboure airport with excellent public transport link and busy but easy freeway access). I think its very basic and a bit out of the way.
Old May 5th 2006, 3:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich

Thanks for that jad. Could come in handy.

I'd have to prepare the Mrs for different standards of housing. That said, most of the houses we'd be looking at nearer to the centre of Perth would be in a similar state, selling close to block value (fairly big blocks, at around 800m or so).
Old May 5th 2006, 3:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well avalon airport has a website now -

http://www.avalonairport.com.au/
Old May 5th 2006, 4:39 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers,

Exile
Dont know much about MP but Vic is certainly a more temperate state and has lots going for it I think. I am considering moving over that way myself.

Check out these sites for property info:

www.realestate.com.au

www.domain.com.au

Currently house prices over east are falling while still rising in perth. If you own a home in Perth now is a good time to consider selling up and buying interstate.

If you want a melbourne suburbs ratings file PM me with your email addy and I will forward you a copy.
Old May 5th 2006, 5:39 am
Forum Regular

Marlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant future

Hi Exile,

I'm sure I'll be one of many who reply to this, the Mornington Peninsula is a great place to live. Mount Eliza has houses like you mentioned with trees etc, though on the dearer side, having said that you should get something for the price you mentioned, also the older part of Mount Martha may suit you. Further along the Peninsula Sorrento is lovely also Red Hill, but it would be best for you to come and have a good look for yourself. The price range you gave will put you in a good area, wherever it maybe along here.

There are plenty of good schools about.

Best of luck,

Loraine

Cheers,

Exile
Old May 5th 2006, 5:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to all

Cheers,

Exile
Hi Exile,

Whilst we currently live in QLD, when we first came to Aus, we were down on the Mornington Peninsula, beautiful... No other words . For me it was like having the best of the UK, open fields, rugged coast line, summers when here well and truly here, late daylight hours and of course the weather Victoria is less consistent than other states but to my mind that is another plus factor for it. Melbourne on your doorstep. with all that it has to offer and more. If it was possible with my husbands job I would relocate without hesitation. It just seemed to echo much of the visual appeal of the UK, areas that were often out of reach, too expensive to live in or difficult to commute from. Having travelled around oz, this area is a gorgeous spot. Go have a reccie well worth the time and trouble.
Old May 5th 2006, 6:35 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Theres not many that don't like Mornington peninsula, I'm sure it would be a good move for you.
Will be nice for you to come to a civilised city.
Old May 5th 2006, 8:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Many thanks to all for the replies. Sounds very positive, and I think we will have to go and take a look for ouselves in the near future. It does sound like a place with a lot to offer.

Thanks again,

Exile
Old May 5th 2006, 8:08 am
BE Enthusiast

parkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Exile
I live in Mount Eliza and I love it here. Our house backs onto the reserve only trees to see. Schools are very good here both private and state. near to wineries, 10 minutes to the beach and town. shopping is good. 1 hour on the train to the city for a night out fantastic. I could send you more info if you like just pm me and i could send you some pics etc if that would help.
Irene
Old May 5th 2006, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

Marlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant future

A few beach pics for you , as I've read on here that Melbourne doesn't have any nice beaches................... Well it does!!!!!

You'll love it here !!!

Attached Thumbnails Perth to Mornington Peninsula - any views?-dscn1147.jpg   Perth to Mornington Peninsula - any views?-dscn1011.jpg   Perth to Mornington Peninsula - any views?-dscn1004.jpg  
Old May 5th 2006, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

sarahge is a jewel in the roughsarahge is a jewel in the roughsarahge is a jewel in the roughsarahge is a jewel in the rough

Cheers,

Exile

Mount Eliza is beautiful, nothing bad to say about it, thats where we were originally going but ended up in Queensland!
Hope you find somewhere you can all feel at home soon
Old May 5th 2006, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thank you again to all for the comments.

Thanks to Marlo for the great photos. It really does look beautiful.