Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth or Melbourne where to live (best for kids)

Perth or Melbourne where to live (best for kids)

Old Jan 22nd 2007, 9:10 am
NO1SPARKY!

martin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud of
Default Perth or Melbourne where to live (best for kids)

Can anyone give me some advice on where to live, i like the look of Perth and Melbourne (best for 3 lively boys 10,8 & 4).

Thank you Lisa
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 9:18 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth or Melbourne where to live (best for kids)

Originally Posted by martin4414
Can anyone give me some advice on where to live, i like the look of Perth and Melbourne (best for 3 lively boys 10,8 & 4).

Thank you Lisa
Can't comment on Perth - I am sure its a lovely beach but

Melbourne has really hit the spot for us in regard satisfaction for the kids.

Great Parks
Great Beachs
Great Schools

Kooyong Classic + Australian Open
F1 series - Melbourne Grand Prix
AFL
Melbourne Cup (and its a public holiday)

Easy for the kids to make friends with the locals too
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 9:27 am

@boy is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, if you haven't moved yet, keep the latest facts from mortgage.com.au in mind....
"Perth replaces Sydney as the least affordable city in Australia"

http://www.yourmortgage.com.au/news/index.cfm?i=5932

"The dream of owning a home looks set to remain a dream for many prospective homebuyers, as housing affordability plunges to its lowest level in more than two decades a new data showed.
The Housing Industry Association (HIA)/Commonwealth Bank Housing Affordability Index revealed affordability has dropped by 5.5% to 97.9 over the December quarter last year. This is the first time the index fell below the 100 mark since the measure was introduced in 1984. Over the last 12 months, affordability tumbled 15.5% as the full impact of three rate rises begins to bite.

An average first homebuyer now needs more than a third (30.7%) of their disposable income to service their mortgage - an increase of 1.7% compared to the September quarter. The monthly loan repayment needed on a typical home loan jumped by 6.3% to $2,332.

Affordability dropped across all metropolitan areas with ACT suffering the biggest decline. Affordability in the capital tumbled 7.9% amidst skyrocketing home prices. Sydney suffered a 4.7% decline while affordability in boomtown Perth fell 7.4% to 82.7, making the western city the least affordable in Australia.

The Housing Industry Association blames the rising interest rates and crippling shortage of available housing for the sharp decline in housing affordability across the country. "It's patently obvious that the correction in housing markets and subsequent improvement in affordability predicted is way off the mark," says Simon Tennent, HIA executive director of housing and economics.

"The combination of rising prices over the quarter and the triple whammy of higher interest rates have pushed housing out of reach for an increasing number of households, who are already facing sharp increases in private rents," he adds.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We moved to Melbourne from Ireland over 4 years ago.
Absolutely love it here in VIC - it has everything going for it !

Good luck with the decision.....

Last edited by @boy; Jan 22nd 2007 at 9:30 am.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 9:30 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by @boy
"Perth replaces Sydney as the least affordable city in Australia"
As much as I keep trying to ignore it that is sadly something I'm going to have to accept and it's looking more and more likely we may have to reconsider our plans to move to WA
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 10:18 am
NO1SPARKY!

martin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by thebears
Can't comment on Perth - I am sure its a lovely beach but

Melbourne has really hit the spot for us in regard satisfaction for the kids.

Great Parks
Great Beachs
Great Schools

Kooyong Classic + Australian Open
F1 series - Melbourne Grand Prix
AFL
Melbourne Cup (and its a public holiday)

Easy for the kids to make friends with the locals too
Thank you