Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth or Melbourne?

Perth or Melbourne?

Old Mar 8th 2005, 7:56 pm
Staying in BoxHill

chessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to all
Default Perth or Melbourne?

Both my wife and I are in the middle of the process. We applied in April 2004 before the points increased and yet we are still waiting for confirmation that we can start the medical process!! Is anybody else experiencing the same delay.

Furthermore can anybody suggest as to whereto live. I am a Project Manager in the Oil Industry and my wife is a Banker. I am unsure as to whether Perth is the place (Oil) or move to Melbourne with views to a career change for me into another industry as a Project Manager. Can anybody shed any light as to what the opportunities are there.
Old Mar 9th 2005, 9:11 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth or Melbourne?

Originally Posted by chessp
Both my wife and I are in the middle of the process. We applied in April 2004 before the points increased and yet we are still waiting for confirmation that we can start the medical process!! Is anybody else experiencing the same delay.

Furthermore can anybody suggest as to whereto live. I am a Project Manager in the Oil Industry and my wife is a Banker. I am unsure as to whether Perth is the place (Oil) or move to Melbourne with views to a career change for me into another industry as a Project Manager. Can anybody shed any light as to what the opportunities are there.
The rules changed in July last year with anyone applying since going through a lot faster, but I think April applications are coming through now. (There is more on this in the immigration forum). It might be worth booking medicals now as you can get the forms from the AHC in London if they don't get sent to you. Your choice.

I have been through a similar dilemma on Perth vs Melbourne (and others). I have decided to head for Perth choosing lifestyle over career opportunities. I may earn less but I won't need as much as property is much cheaper and I will have shorter commutes.
Old Mar 9th 2005, 10:02 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

It really depends on what your likes and dislikes are as they are two massivley different places.

Perth is, imo stunning and has beautiful beaches and a hot dry climate. The south of the state is beautiful but i don't know as thats where your work wold be??

Melbourne has an average looking city and you have to go further out to see stunning beaches, though make no mistake we have them in droves. The climate is changable and is more Mediteranean in temperatures (the further out from the city you go the colder it gets) We have a huge variety of things to do here in Vic from surfing to skiing and i don't really get the lifestyle comparrison thing as theres tonnes to do here and the rest of the countries far more accesable from here.

I don't want to get into a slaging match with any of my fellow expats on here and i am just putting my own thoughts down. Both places have there pluses and minuses, just depends what you like/ think yoiu will like best
Old Mar 9th 2005, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

Gareth W is on a distinguished road

Perth has a comparatively small "white collar/management" economy but there does seem to be a lot of Project Management jobs in mining/oil/gas etc. In fact just about ALL the PM jobs seem to be in the extractive industries.

Don't know about Melb but the accepted wisdom is that there is more work of all descriptions (and I can believe it).
Old Mar 9th 2005, 10:21 am
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I have been to Perth and I am currently living in Melbourne.

Melbourne is very nice but I will not be staying here, I will eventually move to Perth. REASON: cheeper housing, hotter weather and more modern and cleaner.

Its really nice here, but I get too cold (i like a constant 30 degrees), and we could never afford to buy a property here, but apart from that its cool, lots of jobs and things to do!

Why dont you try both, thats what we are doing, 1-2 years here then off to Perth......

Good luck
Old Mar 9th 2005, 11:51 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Only thing about Perth is that it`s very isolated and can be very boring. You`ll be struggling for interesting things to do/places to go after a year or so. Then again, Melbourne may have the same problem.

I`ve lived in Perth, so Melbourne seems alot more interesting to me.... alot closer to `civilisation`.
Old Mar 9th 2005, 12:09 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe take an initial employment contract in WA if you want to build up your financial reserves a bit. Perth is definitely cheaper to live property wise at least, but personally I think the place is souless and boring, a hole with inhospitable life forms. Long term I'd have to say Melbourne would be the better bet if you want a life that is 3 dimensional instead of 2 dimensional.

I have though heard good reports about the south-west of WA. A place in say Albany, Esperance or Margaret River might be nice, as working in the oil business they would most likely fly you to your place of employment for so many days on and then time off, unless of course your position required you reside in Perth and report to the Perth office. Check it out.

Good Luck
Old Mar 9th 2005, 12:12 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwichild
Maybe take an initial employment contract in WA if you want to build up your financial reserves a bit. Perth is definitely cheaper to live property wise at least, but personally I think the place is souless and boring, a hole with inhospitable life forms. Long term I'd have to say Melbourne would be the better bet if you want a life that is 3 dimensional instead of 2 dimensional.

I have though heard good reports about the south-west of WA. A place in say Albany, Esperance or Margaret River might be nice, as working in the oil business they would most likely fly you to your place of employment for so many days on and then time off, unless of course your position required you reside in Perth and report to the Perth office. Check it out.

Good Luck
Forgot to mention:Employment in the banking industry is projected to be on the decline.
Check out this site,it will help you assess job opportunities in Australia.

http://jobsearch.gov.au/default.aspx...e=0&TextOnly=0