Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth, Margaret River, Denmark

Perth, Margaret River, Denmark

Old Oct 23rd 2013, 2:12 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Perth, Margaret River, Denmark

Off out for 3 weeks this Friday and now beginning to wonder what we'll do for 3 weeks.

Just the missus and myself.

The missus has spent loads of time googling etc looking for things to do and has come up with - not much.

We were in Montpellier and Albi in France for 3 weeks in the summer and she found some great things to see and do then.

Would a week in Perth etc have been sufficient or have we not yet found the good stuff.

Soaking up the sun on a beach is not for us.

Any suggestions welcome.

Also a bit surprised at the cost of eating out.

Much more expensive than UK, France, Barcelona and Singapore.
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 2:17 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth, Margaret River, Denmark

Originally Posted by ex reg
Off out for 3 weeks this Friday and now beginning to wonder what we'll do for 3 weeks.

The missus has spent loads of time googling etc looking for things to do and has come up with - not much.

We were in Montpellier and Albi in France for 3 weeks in the summer and she found some great things to see and do then.

Would a week in Perth etc have been sufficient or have we not yet found the good stuff.

Any suggestions welcome.

MR is closer to Perth and the area is nice, although I don't think MR itself is all that great. If you like wine you'll enjoy it

I prefer Denmark and you also have Albany close by

Yes, eating out is expensive unfortunately
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 3:12 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
MR is closer to Perth and the area is nice, although I don't think MR itself is all that great. If you like wine you'll enjoy it

I prefer Denmark and you also have Albany close by

Yes, eating out is expensive unfortunately
Thanks, but once you've been to one winery then you've 'been there done that'.

Dunno why I'm being negative as I've wanted to go and look around the area for years, ever since we bought timber off Bunnings.

So what's to do around Denmark and Albany??
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 5:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Compared to where you were in France last summer you will find all a little lame, I'm afraid. Albany/Denmark is the coast line, shades of Cornwall, rather quaint in the Aussie context (Albany is WA's first settlement) good beaches, some good walking possible but quiet.
Sadly prices are expensive to both stay and eat out compared to abroad. That's just Australia. Not a lot to do in the cultural sense, especially compared to Europe, but is my favourite area to escape Perth in WA.

Perth as you have noticed doesn't warrant a very long stay as a tourist. Three days should cover most required to see. The decision then is wether to head North or South.
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

Sarah7263 is on a distinguished road

I have a similar trip planned which I'm really excited about but I am definitely a beach person! Here's my list of things to do/ places to go -
Perth - head up to Kings Park - fantastic views of the city and the city cat buses are free, hop on hop off
Freemantle - definitely visit little creatures brewery
Take the ferry to Rottnest Island - hire bikes for the day and cycle round the island
Head down to geographe bay, go surfing in busselton/ dunsborough
Drive down through Margaret river stopping at the wineries
Drive down to Walpole and go to Mandalay beach and do the treetop walk
Drive onto greens pool in William bay national park - google greens pool - the pictures look amazing!
Drive onto esperance and go to lucky bay in Cape le grand national park
You could even then drive back via some if the inland towns on the way back to Perth

For me australia is all about the beauty of the national parks - yes it's expensive but there isn't much you can do about that!

As I said I love the beauty of the beaches and there are some fab walks to do it's not just about lying on them all day. Try googling images of these places -
Bunker bay, elephant rock bay, hellfire bay, twilight cove, lucky bay

Have fun!!
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks to all for the suggestions.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 12:01 am
My hovercraft is full of

Ballys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Sarah7263
I have a similar trip planned which I'm really excited about but I am definitely a beach person! Here's my list of things to do/ places to go -
Perth - head up to Kings Park - fantastic views of the city and the city cat buses are free, hop on hop off
Freemantle - definitely visit little creatures brewery
Take the ferry to Rottnest Island - hire bikes for the day and cycle round the island
Head down to geographe bay, go surfing in busselton/ dunsborough
Drive down through Margaret river stopping at the wineries
Drive down to Walpole and go to Mandalay beach and do the treetop walk
Drive onto greens pool in William bay national park - google greens pool - the pictures look amazing!
Drive onto esperance and go to lucky bay in Cape le grand national park
You could even then drive back via some if the inland towns on the way back to Perth

For me australia is all about the beauty of the national parks - yes it's expensive but there isn't much you can do about that!

As I said I love the beauty of the beaches and there are some fab walks to do it's not just about lying on them all day. Try googling images of these places -
Bunker bay, elephant rock bay, hellfire bay, twilight cove, lucky bay

Have fun!!
Excellent choices, you have obviously researched your trip. Suggest a stop over in the wild west town of Kalgoorlie on the way back to Perth. Whilst in Perth do the Swan Valley Tourist Drive which includes wineries (Sandlefords and Houghtons are the best), chocolate and cheese factories and boutique breweries. You will have a ball.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 1:15 am
BE Forum Addict

I always thought Houghtons was a Margaret River winery?

First drank Houghtons 20 years ago in HK when it was amongst the cheapest available but was a good wine.

My memory definitely says Margaret River.

Just shows what my memory is like.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 1:29 am
Forum Regular

bitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond repute

I always thought Houghtons was a Margaret River winery?

First drank Houghtons 20 years ago in HK when it was amongst the cheapest available but was a good wine.

My memory definitely says Margaret River.

Just shows what my memory is like.
Definitely a Swan Valley winery, established 175 years ago, lovely setting out there.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 2:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Houghton is now the tenth-largest red and white bottle brand in Australia, and sources fruit from every major premium grape-growing region in WA, including Gingin, Margaret River, Frankland River and Mount Barker in the Great Southern, and the emerging Pemberton region.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 2:36 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Houghton is now the tenth-largest red and white bottle brand in Australia, and sources fruit from every major premium grape-growing region in WA, including Gingin, Margaret River, Frankland River and Mount Barker in the Great Southern, and the emerging Pemberton region.
Houghton's sources grapes from a few areas, but the winery is and always has been in the Swan Valley, it's one of Australia's oldest operating wineries.

http://www.houghton-wines.com.au/diversity-key
Old Oct 24th 2013, 2:41 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ballys
Excellent choices, you have obviously researched your trip. Suggest a stop over in the wild west town of Kalgoorlie on the way back to Perth. Whilst in Perth do the Swan Valley Tourist Drive which includes wineries (Sandlefords and Houghtons are the best), chocolate and cheese factories and boutique breweries. You will have a ball.
A friend and I took our boys camping down at Hamelin Bay last week. We managed to visit a couple of winieries. Cape Mentelle - gorgeous spot with fantastic wine. Bought some great 1.5l magnums of red for $20 each. Voyager is as beautiful as ever (reminds me of Stellenbosch). Go for lunch if you can afford it - we didn't as we had 2 10 year old boys with us who were hanging out for Chicken Treat
Old Oct 24th 2013, 4:34 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Any suggestions welcome.

Check out Scoopon, Spreets, LivingSocial etc - great for short breaks, meals out, tours etc, usually half price or more. Scoopon currently have a whale watching tour that leaves from the Barrack Street jetty, I haven't done it but some friends have and loved http://www.scoopon.com.au/deals/5030...atching-cruise
Old Oct 25th 2013, 4:37 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Or come down through Pemberton and o the forests...

Over to Esperance is great bug wrong time of year.
Old Oct 25th 2013, 5:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by EvannTel
Or come down through Pemberton and o the forests...

Over to Esperance is great bug wrong time of year.
Driving back from Denmark to Perth through Pemberton and stopping overnight there, although it does seem a bit off the straight drive.
Is there a through road from Denmark to Pemberton to Perth or is Pemberton just an offshoot.

And is there a good road map of the area from Perth to Denmark including MR???

And I think Esperance would just about be outside the 500 mile or is it Km radial limit from Perth that the Hire care company allows.

Last edited by ex reg; Oct 25th 2013 at 5:20 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.