Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth job offer, AUD1600 dayrate

Perth job offer, AUD1600 dayrate

Old Sep 15th 2011, 12:23 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth job offer, AUD1600 dayrate

Originally Posted by cubeonly
Oy fishface, why so personal? You don't know me and my circumstances - if you did you certainly would not have posted that!
It was meant to be slightly tongue in cheek rather than insulting. My apologies.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

cubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by northernbird
It was meant to be slightly tongue in cheek rather than insulting. My apologies.

Hi no worries!

Anyway, for me, setting up to live/work on the other side of the world to wayward-wifey is great news. . .
Old Sep 15th 2011, 11:09 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cubeonly
Hi thanks for your info! It's a contract and certainly not casual.
"Casual" is merely a description of a mode of employment, not necessarily a definition of the way you work! If you work as a "casual" employee then your employer pays your income tax and the employer's 9% superannuation contribution, but only pays you for the hours you actually work: if you are a "contractor" then your employer pays you an agreed gross amount for the time you work and you are responsible for all the other payments. In neither case will you get holiday or sick pay.

If you are a contractor instead of a casual employee then you will probably need to register for GST (our VAT) and get an Australian Business Number (ABN). Back in 2000 this applied to any contractor who expected to gross more than $50,000 a year: check with the ATO website what the current conditions are. You can register as a "Sole Trader", you don't need to be a company.

I have recently changed from being a contractor to being a casual employee: this was mainly because the ATO does not consider you to be an independent contractor if you earn more than 80% of your income from a single source. This affects your employer more than it does you, as he pays payroll tax on employees but not on contractors: it will only affect you if you are claiming tax deductions as a contractor that you are not entitled to as an employee.

Hope this helps.
Old Sep 16th 2011, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

cubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
"Casual" is merely a description of a mode of employment, not necessarily a definition of the way you work! If you work as a "casual" employee then your employer pays your income tax and the employer's 9% superannuation contribution, but only pays you for the hours you actually work: if you are a "contractor" then your employer pays you an agreed gross amount for the time you work and you are responsible for all the other payments. In neither case will you get holiday or sick pay.

If you are a contractor instead of a casual employee then you will probably need to register for GST (our VAT) and get an Australian Business Number (ABN). Back in 2000 this applied to any contractor who expected to gross more than $50,000 a year: check with the ATO website what the current conditions are. You can register as a "Sole Trader", you don't need to be a company.

I have recently changed from being a contractor to being a casual employee: this was mainly because the ATO does not consider you to be an independent contractor if you earn more than 80% of your income from a single source. This affects your employer more than it does you, as he pays payroll tax on employees but not on contractors: it will only affect you if you are claiming tax deductions as a contractor that you are not entitled to as an employee.

Hope this helps.
KjCherokee thanks for the info! It will be casual (income from a single source) then; i.e. I'm not claiming to be a contractor/limited company (like in UK to stay outside of IR35) and not claiming contractor tax deductions.

Cheers,
Old Sep 21st 2011, 11:58 am
Account Closed

aston is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Amazulu
But who drinks Guinness in Australia? It's f**king rank.
you need to get down the drop mate,,its a nice pint in there,,,its shit in the other place....