Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth its going to be 😊

Perth its going to be 😊

Old Jan 11th 2016, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth its going to be 😊

Originally Posted by NickyC
Admittedly a couple of these can't really be called surf beaches - I think Gordon's Bay and Oak Park are stretching it and there does seem to be rather a lot of Narrabeens - but here's the list of 40 that I was working from:

1. Palm
2. Whale
3. Avalon
4. Bilgola
5. Newport
6. Bungan
7. Mona Vale
8. Warriewood
9. Turrimetta
10. North Narrabeen
11. Narrabeen
12. South Narrabeen
13. Collaroy
14. Long Reef
15. Dee Why
16. North Curl Curl
17. South Curl Curl
18. Freshwater
19. Queenscliff
20. North Steyne
21. South Steyne
22. Fairy Bower
23. Shelly
24. Bondi
25. Tamarama
26. Bronte
27. Clovelly
28. Gordons
29. Coogee
30. Maroubra
31. Malabar
32. Little Bay
33. Greenhills
34. Boatharbour
35. Wanda
36. Elouera
37. North Cronulla
38. South Cronulla
39. Shelly Beach
40. Oak Park
Hmm on paper yes, but in surf terms, a lot of those are the same break. For example, North Narra, South Narra, not really because once you past Emerald St, it tends to close out into mush.

Shelley Beach is Cabbage Patch, you've got have a good set of circumstances for it to work well, same with the Bower.

North Curly pretty much blends in with Longy without any demarcation.

Wanda and Eloura only work separately on a sth East swell with no wind.

Sth Cronulla is only open to surfers out of season ( or used to be). You did miss Shark Island but I'm a goofy footer and pig dogging that barrel isn't easy, but lots of fun.

Green hills again, you're kind of in no mans land between others listed here.

Cooked is by no stretch of the imagination a surf beach, sometimes on big northerly swell with zero wind you can get a man ride off the north side of the island, but it's rare.

I have never seen Gordon's break, not saying it doesn't but I've never seen it and never heard any clubbies even talk about it.

I'll swap you Nth Steyne for Queenscliff.

I can see on paper where you're coming from. I'll agree to disagree with the amount in list from a surfers perspective. Anyway, interesting list and a nice but of fun, thanks.
Old Jan 12th 2016, 9:35 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Where is downtown? Are you referring to that horrible stretch on George Street between the Town Hall and Central. If so yep .... bulldoze it.
Don't get me wrong, I do like the place for a short visit and think it's a great stop for cruise ships where a few thousand tourists can descend on the city, take their selfies in front of the Opera House, have a few overpriced beers, and then leave before evening kicks in and they get bored to death with uneventful, downtown Sydney.

I think you are just justifying your existence on the Gold Coast here.
I remember a time when you used to talk up Cronulla like it was gods country. I think you are just trying to make your decision look good.
Au contraire. I love the Gold Coast, and every time I visit the family in Sydney I compare the two and the lifestyle up here is so much better.

I can basically live where I want; I am not tied down in any way. When I find a place that brings me more pleasure out of life (here) than the Gold Coast, I will simply... move there.

How we doing on the Auckland thing?
Quite impressive downtown area. Clean city, nice architecture, great for pedestrians, not overcrowded. Makes a much better impression than Sydney when it comes to the downtown core, but cannot say anything about areas beyond the CBD/suburbs/etc.
Old Jan 12th 2016, 10:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera
Don't get me wrong, I do like the place for a short visit and think it's a great stop for cruise ships where a few thousand tourists can descend on the city, take their selfies in front of the Opera House, have a few overpriced beers, and then leave before evening kicks in and they get bored to death with uneventful, downtown Sydney.

Au contraire. I love the Gold Coast, and every time I visit the family in Sydney I compare the two and the lifestyle up here is so much better.

I can basically live where I want; I am not tied down in any way. When I find a place that brings me more pleasure out of life (here) than the Gold Coast, I will simply... move there.

Quite impressive downtown area. Clean city, nice architecture, great for pedestrians, not overcrowded. Makes a much better impression than Sydney when it comes to the downtown core, but cannot say anything about areas beyond the CBD/suburbs/etc.
Auckland and good architecture - ho ho ho ho. Please spare me. A country designed very by 2 average to poor architectural firms. ANZ doesn't do good architecture.

When you let me know where the Sydney downtown is, I can happily steer you clear of it
Old Jan 12th 2016, 11:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Auckland and good architecture - ho ho ho ho. Please spare me. A country designed very by 2 average to poor architectural firms. ANZ doesn't do good architecture.

When you let me know where the Sydney downtown is, I can happily steer you clear of it
Haha I was just wondering what the fixation on downtown Sydney is. And indeed where it is?
Old Jan 12th 2016, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

steen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by astera

Gold Coast is nice to visit. If you want cheap strip clubs and bogans.
Old Jan 12th 2016, 7:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steen1976
Gold Coast is nice to visit. If you want cheap strip clubs and bogans.
It's possible to avoid that stuff. We went down in July and stayed in apartment right on the beach. Got up in the morning and watched the sun rise over the ocean. Went for a drive to somewhere nice like Tamborine or one of the beachside towns over the border in the morning and then back to the apartment to have a few drinks on the balcony, stroll along the beach, cook dinner or go to a local restaurant. Was lovely.
Old Jan 12th 2016, 8:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
It's possible to avoid that stuff. We went down in July and stayed in apartment right on the beach. Got up in the morning and watched the sun rise over the ocean. Went for a drive to somewhere nice like Tamborine or one of the beachside towns over the border in the morning and then back to the apartment to have a few drinks on the balcony, stroll along the beach, cook dinner or go to a local restaurant. Was lovely.
But as you rightly point out, you need to leave the Gold Coast to see the nice places.

Perhaps you should have just stayed in the "nice places over the border"
Old Jan 12th 2016, 8:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

But as you rightly point out, you need to leave the Gold Coast to see the nice places.

Perhaps you should have just stayed in the "nice places over the border"
We considered it, but gave Surfers a go and really enjoyed it.
Old Jan 12th 2016, 8:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

We considered it, but gave Surfers a go and really enjoyed it.
Because of the sunrise over the ocean, drinks on the balcony, stroll along the beach, cook dinner or go to a local restaurant.?

I can't see the appeal that would make this holiday a differentiator to what one can do at home. Of course if you don't live near a beach then I get it.
Old Jan 12th 2016, 9:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Because of the sunrise over the ocean, drinks on the balcony, stroll along the beach, cook dinner or go to a local restaurant.?

I can't see the appeal that would make this holiday a differentiator to what one can do at home. Of course if you don't live near a beach then I get it.
Brisbane doesn't have beaches unfortunately - stinky old mangrove yuck. If you can't see the appeal, you may not have three rowdy teenagers to contend with on a daily basis lol. Chilling on a short get away and just walking on the beach without the sound of "mum, I'm hungry, mum, I'm bored, mum, can my friend sleep over, mum, can you drop me at ballet, mum, can I have some money, mum, mum, mum" (you get the idea) is bliss. Though I did end up having my kids join us on the last night because I had family up from Bowral and we were all meeting up with old friends for lunch and then the kids went to an AFL game with them. My nephews partners nephew, plays for the Gold Coast team and they all went to watch him play - they had a blast, they'd never been to a professional AFL game before. That's also one of the reasons we stayed on the coast rather than over the border because we could just catch the tram to the pub where we all met for lunch.
Old Jan 12th 2016, 9:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Brisbane doesn't have beaches unfortunately - stinky old mangrove yuck. If you can't see the appeal, you may not have three rowdy teenagers to contend with on a daily basis lol. Chilling on a short get away and just walking on the beach without the sound of "mum, I'm hungry, mum, I'm bored, mum, can my friend sleep over, mum, can you drop me at ballet, mum, can I have some money, mum, mum, mum" (you get the idea) is bliss. Though I did end up having my kids join us on the last night because I had family up from Bowral and we were all meeting up with old friends for lunch and then the kids went to an AFL game with them. My nephews partners nephew, plays for the Gold Coast team and they all went to watch him play - they had a blast, they'd never been to a professional AFL game before. That's also one of the reasons we stayed on the coast rather than over the border because we could just catch the tram to the pub where we all met for lunch.
Fair enough. Easy commute from Brisbane, the Gold Coast is cheap, there is a beach of sorts and a rew rollercoasters around. Makes sense with 3 rowdy teenagers.

I guess all the reasons why the Gold Coast has lost its appeal for those without 7-16 year old family factor.

Last edited by Beoz; Jan 12th 2016 at 9:43 pm.
Old Jan 13th 2016, 2:46 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Strangely enough at home not everyone has the ability to watch the sunrise over the ocean, have drinks on the balcony, stroll along the beach or just nip out to a local restaurant. I know i certainly don't! no ocean, no beach, no balcony, no local restaurant. I have to take a holiday to get any of that. I've had a couple of short stays in Surfers and experienced all those things -good short breaks but I don't want to live there.
Old Jan 13th 2016, 3:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Strangely enough at home not everyone has the ability to watch the sunrise over the ocean, have drinks on the balcony, stroll along the beach or just nip out to a local restaurant. I know i certainly don't! no ocean, no beach, no balcony, no local restaurant. I have to take a holiday to get any of that. I've had a couple of short stays in Surfers and experienced all those things -good short breaks but I don't want to live there.
I know. It mentioned that in my last line.
Old Jan 13th 2016, 6:21 am
BE Enthusiast

steen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud of

I was of course being rather facetious in that post. Surfers and the Gold Coast has its reason for being and not a bad place. But to try to place it above Sydney as a liveable city is a bit silly. Take away the bridge and opera house? Well I went for a nice run today through Martin Place, Sydney Hospital,
The domain and Mrs MacQuaries chair and by the harbour before reaching the Opera House. All beautiful and the Goldie has nothing like it.