Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth its going to be 😊

Perth its going to be 😊

Old Jan 10th 2016, 8:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth its going to be 😊

Originally Posted by astera
As for Sydney, cannot ever see a reason to live there (and I have lived there before). Take away the Opera House and the Sydney Harbour Bridge and Sydney would be even less known in the world than Melbourne...

Heck, without those two architectural wonders I'd take Auckland over Sydney any day as far as the city centre is concerned.

Also, Brisbane has come a long way so I'd easily take 2016 Brisbane over today's Sydney.
This will be fun. Other than housing costs why wouldn't you live in Sydney? Better put, Auckland over Sydney. ...... do tell for a laugh
Old Jan 10th 2016, 8:12 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Just booked a holiday to Tassie. Its been a few years but this time around got the campervan sorted and doing it properly. Can't wait.
Enjoy!
Old Jan 10th 2016, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
We lived at Longreef, higher land which helped with great views, no seaweed smells there. I didn't really notice any in town either though.

The world famous pie shop! It has great pies, I would happily queue for an hour!

Ah I see. Yeah Long Reef is a different kettle of fish than Collaroy, nice views from the hill. I'm a rubbish golfer but have played at Long Reef a few times. As a golfer, I make a decent surfer

When we were looking for properties, loads of R/E places would say that a property was in Narrabeen but more often than not it was in Collaroy, especially Clarke St.

I'm getting nostalgic now
Old Jan 10th 2016, 10:49 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
everything is rising in price at a horrific rate, etc - I won't go on, you can read them in the individual posts.
Australia has changed and its no longer the country most of us moved to, or the one pictured on TV and talked about in the UK. If you want to see how its changed, go back through the BE posts from 5-6-7 years ago and you'll see a different world!
Housing seems to be the big one. What about supermarket spend though, how would you compare it to the UK? Seems like if you cut the prices by 1/2 and then pretend to see a Β£ sign then they don't look that bad, but then I haven't done much supermarket shopping in the UK for the last decade and a half.

As for Australia changing, I think that is true of most of the world. I prefer the US in the 90's to today, and the UK is a shadow of what I remember in the early 2000's due to the global financial crisis, students getting stripped of their "free money", etc. Seems like there is much less money going around and young people have gotten the wrong end of the stick with the govt's student cuts. Overall though the country has braced itself and tackled the crisis better than many other European countries from Spain to Hungary.

What hurts the most is that when the UK was implementing harsh austerity and whacking students with it (not that I'm against curbing spending), Germany was going the other way and making studies free, giving bonuses to students, enticing youngsters from as far away as the US or Australia to come over for a free (yes - free for foreigners even!) education, etc.
Old Jan 10th 2016, 12:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
That wasn't exactly a ringing endorsement either.

No seriously, I think some, including me, have been a little bit too gloomy with this poster and I have tried to rebalance that a touch. But I still think all the comments were realistic ones.
I was mulling this over and it strikes me that in some ways the Australian dream is over for the British Battler. It was the battler that stood the most to gain and also the most to lose. Eg working conditions and less hours perhaps is the key, especially if people are feeling that their hands are being turned. Australia is not cheap but it is still perfectly livable. If people feel it's not worth it, all of a sudden, then really it was never sustainable.

Years ago professional people seemed to agonise whilst the bricklayers and tradies shrugged. A mining boom ends and all of a sudden it seems that the established professionals seem to be shrugging....crazy in some ways..
Old Jan 10th 2016, 12:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

So something like this then.

http://www.domain.com.au/13-palara-p...-10281114?sp=3

Nice pad. Nice Area. Personally I think the Northern Beaches are a bit overrated. If it didn't take so long to get to and from the city then the Northern Beaches is doable.

Sounds to me like your living situation is at completely different levels now. By you glowing assessment of life in Collaroy it sounds you might be sacrificing a bit of what you had in order to live mortgage free in Hertfordshire in what I assume was a previously owned house? Would it be fair to say that if you had bought a house in Collaroy 15-20 years ago and had paid down the mortgage like the one in Hertfordshire then you might see housing in Sydney in a different light? I'm sure if I was to start fresh today in Hertfordshire I might have it a little bit easier when it comes to housing than I would in Collaroy, but Hertfordshire is hardly Collaroy on the "best places in the world to live" list. On the other hand if I was to start in London I can pretty much guarantee I'd be light years away to purchasing a property in a decent area.

Also you should take into account that Australia has negative gearing and the UK doesn't, meaning renting can be so much cheaper in Oz, with regard to the rent vs mortgage scale.

Also again, the UK has commuter belts. Australia doesn't really. So you can live relatively cheaply outside cities in the UK and still commute in to the big smoke.

For a lot of people, you and me included, living by the beach in Sydney is worth every penny and we just have to accept that sometimes a good life comes with some sacrifices - like being mortgage free let someone else take up that burden of paying all that wasted bank interest
Agree with this: anyone who bought in Sydney or London in the 90s is not necessarily struggling. And I agree that whilst people train in from outer ends of the line Sydney is not a true commuter city like London is.
Old Jan 10th 2016, 6:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Agree with this: anyone who bought in Sydney or London in the 90s is not necessarily struggling. And I agree that whilst people train in from outer ends of the line Sydney is not a true commuter city like London is.
It should also be noted that commuter belters in the UK get whacked with massive yearly ticket costs. There's 3000 pounds you can't put into the mortgage.
Old Jan 11th 2016, 12:16 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

This will be fun. Other than housing costs why wouldn't you live in Sydney?
Fair enough if you live in Sydney because you work there, but other than that why would you want to?

Take away the opera house and bridge and there's nothing special about the place - in fact the first two words that come to mind when I think of Sydney are "dirty" and "old." 95% of the place needs to establish close and personal relations with a bulldozer.

Downtown is over-touristy so no good places for actual residents to go to, just $8/schooner tourist traps. The suburbs are all lousy. The climate sucks too compared to the Gold Coast.

As I said, I'd live there if I had to work there, but I would never move there if I could choose where to live in all of Australia. Not a chance.
Old Jan 11th 2016, 3:56 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Take away the opera house and bridge and there's nothing special about the place -
You don’t rate Sydney Harbour, Middle Harbour, Pittwater, Lane Cove River, Parramatta River, Port Hacking, the 40-odd surf beaches, the multitude of harbour beaches and National Parks all of which are within a few kilometres of the CBD then?
Old Jan 11th 2016, 6:17 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Downtown is over-touristy so no good places for actual residents to go to, just $8/schooner tourist traps. The suburbs are all lousy. The climate sucks too compared to the Gold Coast.
Agree with you re the CBD but the suburbs are lousy? You must be kidding, assuming by suburbs you are talking about places like Balmain or Bronte (or any one of a shedload of the more central suburbs) rather than the western suburbs. Sydney is all about the harbour and the inner suburbs.

And just to show it's all horses for courses, you couldn't drag me to live in the Gold Coast.

We are in two minds about whether to end up in Sydney or Adelaide mind you.... having lived in and liking both.
Old Jan 11th 2016, 6:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fair enough if you live in Sydney because you work there, but other than that why would you want to?

Take away the opera house and bridge and there's nothing special about the place - in fact the first two words that come to mind when I think of Sydney are "dirty" and "old." 95% of the place needs to establish close and personal relations with a bulldozer.

As I said, I'd live there if I had to work there, but I would never move there if I could choose where to live in all of Australia. Not a chance.
Where is downtown? Are you referring to that horrible stretch on George Street between the Town Hall and Central. If so yep .... bulldoze it.

I think you are just justifying your existence on the Gold Coast here. You know that tourist trap for bogans. I remember a time when you used to talk up Cronulla like it was gods country. I think you are just trying to make your decision look good.

How we doing on the Auckland thing?
Old Jan 11th 2016, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickyC
You don’t rate Sydney Harbour, Middle Harbour, Pittwater, Lane Cove River, Parramatta River, Port Hacking, the 40-odd surf beaches, the multitude of harbour beaches and National Parks all of which are within a few kilometres of the CBD then?

I don't disagree with your opinion of Sydney ( although P'matta River is a stretch) but I surfed competitively for over 20 years all over NSW and beyond and I can only get to 26 surf beaches in Sydney, using Palmy and and Cronulla as boundaries and that includes counting Cabbage Patch, Freshy and Little Narra as separate breaks.
Old Jan 11th 2016, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
I don't disagree with your opinion of Sydney ( although P'matta River is a stretch) but I surfed competitively for over 20 years all over NSW and beyond and I can only get to 26 surf beaches in Sydney, using Palmy and and Cronulla as boundaries and that includes counting Cabbage Patch, Freshy and Little Narra as separate breaks.
Admittedly a couple of these can't really be called surf beaches - I think Gordon's Bay and Oak Park are stretching it and there does seem to be rather a lot of Narrabeens - but here's the list of 40 that I was working from:

1. Palm
2. Whale
3. Avalon
4. Bilgola
5. Newport
6. Bungan
7. Mona Vale
8. Warriewood
9. Turrimetta
10. North Narrabeen
11. Narrabeen
12. South Narrabeen
13. Collaroy
14. Long Reef
15. Dee Why
16. North Curl Curl
17. South Curl Curl
18. Freshwater
19. Queenscliff
20. North Steyne
21. South Steyne
22. Fairy Bower
23. Shelly
24. Bondi
25. Tamarama
26. Bronte
27. Clovelly
28. Gordons
29. Coogee
30. Maroubra
31. Malabar
32. Little Bay
33. Greenhills
34. Boatharbour
35. Wanda
36. Elouera
37. North Cronulla
38. South Cronulla
39. Shelly Beach
40. Oak Park
Old Jan 11th 2016, 10:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by NickyC
Admittedly a couple of these can't really be called surf beaches - I think Gordon's Bay and Oak Park are stretching it and there does seem to be rather a lot of Narrabeens - but here's the list of 40 that I was working from:

1. Palm
2. Whale
3. Avalon
4. Bilgola
5. Newport
6. Bungan
7. Mona Vale
8. Warriewood
9. Turrimetta
10. North Narrabeen
11. Narrabeen
12. South Narrabeen
13. Collaroy
14. Long Reef
15. Dee Why
16. North Curl Curl
17. South Curl Curl
18. Freshwater
19. Queenscliff
20. North Steyne
21. South Steyne
22. Fairy Bower
23. Shelly
24. Bondi
25. Tamarama
26. Bronte
27. Clovelly
28. Gordons
29. Coogee
30. Maroubra
31. Malabar
32. Little Bay
33. Greenhills
34. Boatharbour
35. Wanda
36. Elouera
37. North Cronulla
38. South Cronulla
39. Shelly Beach
40. Oak Park
Oak Park can be surfed. Its a rough landing on the reef but it can be done.

Sydney - City and Suburbs: Cronulla, Oak Park

What about the harbour beaches like Balmoral and Neilson Park

Old Jan 11th 2016, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

What about the harbour beaches like Balmoral and Neilson Park
I couldn't even begin to count all the non-ocean beaches. There must be hundreds if you include the harbours and Pittwater as well as Botany Bay and up and down all the rivers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.