British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Perth Ikea ! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/perth-ikea-381237/)

dougggy Jun 24th 2006 1:17 pm

Perth Ikea !

surprised to learn that there is an ikea in Osborne Park WA -
does anyone have experiance of an aussie Ikea - is it just as awful as the UK with the long queues etc ?? - is aussie IKea
actually cheap ?? :confused:

Perthforme Jun 24th 2006 1:51 pm

Re: Perth Ikea !

Originally Posted by dougggy
does anyone have experiance of an aussie Ikea - is it just as awful as the UK with the long queues etc ?? - is aussie IKea

Prices not bad , queues not bad but parking bad there.
We bought some beds and other stuff there still easy to spend big , they have a one hour creche too .
There are lots of other places that are similar like houseworks

boom_meringue Jun 24th 2006 2:02 pm

Clare works there, it's pretty good and they ar ebuilding a new store which is about the same size as the Bristol store which will open next year

Perthforme Jun 24th 2006 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by Steve&Clare
Clare works there, it's pretty good and they ar ebuilding a new store which is about the same size as the Bristol store which will open next year

Is the new store SOR?

The Johnstons Jun 24th 2006 3:36 pm

Walking into Ikea was like being back in Edinburgh (or Glasgow, or Newcastle). Pretty much the same really, with prices much the same as UK (well, for the things we bought it was). I agree though, the parking is shocking. A few people suggested Freedom as an alternative but I found them to be way more expensive.
Tracey

webgum Jun 25th 2006 1:02 am

Originally Posted by Perthforme
Is the new store SOR?

No, opposite Westfield Innalo on Ellen Stirling Boulevard

Anastasia Beaverhausen Jun 25th 2006 8:33 am

Not sure about the Perth Ikea, but we went to the Homebush one in Sydney last week. It was just like walking into the Brent Park ikea in London. Display area at the top, market place and wharehouse at the bottom, the only difference was the staff, they were far more helpful. We had 3 trolleys and needed the help :D

The prices arent bad, they have a sale on at the moment, so a good time to go, but it will be busy.

kiwi_child Jun 25th 2006 8:55 am

I have also heard that they now have a cheapie cafe where you can grab a bite to eat. I haven't been there in ages, so can't confirm. They put out a catalogue annually with specials that last for the life of the catalogue. Some do seem good deals and quality.

Amazulu Jun 25th 2006 10:32 am

Yep, they sell the same shite & tat as in the UK at about the same prices.

CORKER Jun 25th 2006 10:53 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Yep, they sell the same shite & tat as in the UK at about the same prices.

The one that's just opened in Adelaide is not bad..nice and quite..not like Leeds....I have had to explain to more people (Aussies) how the store works......but they don't get it at all..!!!!!! "you have to put it together"..."they don't hire trailers"..."you have to get the boxes yourself"...

We bought loads of gear for our new house....we were the only ones with trollies that had anything on them....

The hotdog bar was very busy though.. :D

Corker

Foster Clan Jun 25th 2006 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by CORKER
The one that's just opened in Adelaide is not bad..nice and quite..not like Leeds....I have had to explain to more people (Aussies) how the store works......but they don't get it at all..!!!!!! "you have to put it together"..."they don't hire trailers"..."you have to get the boxes yourself"...

We bought loads of gear for our new house....we were the only ones with trollies that had anything on them....

Corker

The parking is just as bad though - well it has been on the days I've been. Don't know if the Adelaideans (?) have quite got Ikea yet - think it was just full of English and Swedes.
Jo

NickyC Jun 25th 2006 12:45 pm

Actually Ikea has been in Australia for 12 years longer than it's been in the UK. The first one opened here in 1975 whereas it didn't reach the UK until 1987.

Think you'll find that it's just slow, old Adelaide . ;)

maggy Jun 25th 2006 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by Steve&Clare

My daughter Megan also works there on the check outs and I think its very reasonably priced.

My mates hubby is also head of logistics for Australia there so I have to say its good :D

Ray51 Aug 12th 2006 5:50 pm

Re IKEA Adelaide..
If one cannot put together some furniture items etc , do they have
people/workers who do?? obviously at a cost? :rolleyes:

Corker

Jaycee1 Aug 12th 2006 7:17 pm

Hi, we went in the one in Melbourne as it was closing down to relocate and thought it was slightly more expensive than U.K.
Got this webpage for you
http://cebas.ikea.com.au/TemplateHom...&site_id=30005
If this fails go to www.ikea.com.au and click on the Aussie map :D
J x