Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth house prices skyrocket

Perth house prices skyrocket

Old May 25th 2006, 6:26 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Perth house prices skyrocket

But you knew that anyway.

Now let's compare it with the rest of the nation:

The explosion of mineral wealth in Western Australia has shown up in a quarterly rise of 8.8 per cent in Perth house prices.

It is Perth's biggest quarterly increase since the survey started in 2002 and the annual increase is almost 29 per cent.

In Hobart, prices are up 3.4 per cent, while Darwin has recorded a rise of 3 per cent.

Prices in Adelaide are up 2.4 per cent.

Melbourne and Canberra have recorded very small rises of 0.8 per cent and 0.2 per cent respectively.

By contrast, Sydney house prices are down 1.2 per cent.

Brisbane's index is unchanged.
Source.

Old May 25th 2006, 6:32 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth house prices skyrocket

thats exactly why we have just bought somewhere rather than rent again. If we had left it much longer we would not have been able to buy the kind of house we want in a suburb we want to live in. I feel sorry for the young folk of perth who are struggling to get on the housing ladder.
Old May 25th 2006, 6:35 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

The explosion of mineral wealth in Western Australia has shown up in a quarterly rise of 8.8 per cent in Perth house prices.

It is Perth's biggest quarterly increase since the survey started in 2002 and the annual increase is almost 29 per cent.
Great news. Long may it continue.
Old May 25th 2006, 6:42 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Can you add a '0' after the 1 please? I haven't seen much evidence of a 'price crash' in Sydney unfortunately
Old May 25th 2006, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

kimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud of

In Hobart, prices are up 3.4 per cent, while Darwin has recorded a rise of 3 per cent.

Prices in Adelaide are up 2.4 per cent.

Melbourne and Canberra have recorded very small rises of 0.8 per cent and 0.2 per cent respectively.

Brisbane's index is unchanged.
Source.

Good post,

K
Old May 25th 2006, 8:02 am
stevenpoole9

Thumbs up Re: Perth house prices skyrocket

Cool. We're off to Brisbane next month.

Old May 25th 2006, 8:06 am
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

Good post.

We are off to Brisbane but probably not until next year as we are just starting out with the whole process. I haven't they haven't changed too much buy then.
Old May 25th 2006, 5:17 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Perth house prices skyrocket

Cheers, guys.

Just thought I would reassure everyone that house prices aren't going mad everywhere.
Old May 26th 2006, 3:16 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chels
Can you add a '0' after the 1 please? I haven't seen much evidence of a 'price crash' in Sydney unfortunately
Agree they dont half no how to hype things up, there's certainly been no crash, no growth on average fair enough but not a crash, I was told that since things started to slow down in Sydney the drop has only actually been 5.9%. Thats nothing.
Old May 26th 2006, 4:01 am
Fighting my corner

Question Re: Perth house prices skyrocket

Originally Posted by steve99
Agree they dont half no how to hype things up, there's certainly been no crash, no growth on average fair enough but not a crash, I was told that since things started to slow down in Sydney the drop has only actually been 5.9%. Thats nothing.
I wasn't aware that anyone had said anything about a "crash." I certainly haven't heard anybody predicting one.
Old May 26th 2006, 4:15 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't aware that anyone had said anything about a "crash." I certainly haven't heard anybody predicting one.
Australia’s peak building industry body, HIA, said that it’s still early days but the house price crash fears of earlier this year appear to be unfounded particularly given the favourable outlook for interest rates, record low unemployment and robust housing demand from solid overseas migration.

Did a quick google search. Found the above on an real estate agent's website http://www.abelrealty.com.au/news/pricestability.htm

It's from 2004 - when we first arrived in Australia - and thought that an adjustment of house prices to reflect real wages, and to make them more affordable, would be a very good thing. Oh well