British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Perth House prices Plunge (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/perth-house-prices-plunge-584150/)

NKSK version 2 Jan 14th 2009 5:48 am

Perth House prices Plunge

Where's Rob Druitt when you need him?
http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/ho...0114-7gry.html

renth Jan 14th 2009 5:49 am

Re: Perth House prices Plunge

Excellent, I hope they keep plunging, I would love a little weekender down south. At this rate I'll be able to afford one within a year or 2. Especially if we get deflation, I'm laughing.

NKSK version 2 Jan 14th 2009 6:04 am

Interesting that this 11% is nearly as high as the UKs 12% (and Perth's 11% has been before the mining unemployment really bites)

northernlights Jan 14th 2009 8:14 am

Perth is way overpriced, who can afford these inflated prices? Certainly not the migrating Poms. An average UK home now costs £199K GBP which gives you roughly $430K AUD, which buys you a less than average home in the Northern Suburbs of Perth.......the most remote City in the world!

Gone are the days where you could swap the two up/two down terrace in the UK for a big ocean view house in Sorrento:rofl:

THE PERTH HOUSE PLUNGE IS GOING TO GET ALOT WORSE!!

Geelong Gent Jan 14th 2009 8:17 am

Wheres a Saf when you need one;)

EvannTel Jan 14th 2009 8:32 am

Originally Posted by northernlights (Post 7165602)
Perth is way overpriced, who can afford these inflated prices? Certainly not the migrating Poms. An average UK home now costs £199K GBP which gives you roughly $430K AUD, which buys you a less than average home in the Northern Suburbs of Perth.......the most remote City in the world!

Gone are the days where you could swap the two up/two down terrace in the UK for a big ocean view house in Sorrento:rofl:

I take your point but not a strictly fair comparison though is it? Whats the average house price in the WHOLE of Australia. That would be the comparison with average UK. Average Perth should really be compared to average city in UK - but which one? There are huge differences within the UK.
Where I lived in UK the average house price is probably in excess of 500K GBP so moving to Bunbury (or thereabouts) I was one of the "lucky" one's.
Moving from one the more depressed UK centres to booming Perth will be a big step up - as it would be moving to SE England.
Last figures (Dec) for where I am showed 0.5% growth so holding on ok.

Sam Jan 14th 2009 8:48 am

thats if you want to live here

there are houses that are reasonabily priced here in Perth if you want to live elsewher to the northan suburbs

houses up here in the hills are now selling fairly quickly (compared to not at all) some reasonably priced some dearer....depends on where you want to go and what you want to pay

DrWho Jan 14th 2009 9:00 am

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent (Post 7165613)
Wheres a Saf when you need one;)

Conspicuous by his absence...:sneaky:

sj oldfield Jan 14th 2009 9:25 am

I remember the same thing happening in the UK in about 1991, house prices crashed overnight......it picked up again after a few years

Gems Jan 14th 2009 9:28 am

Well the Geraldton-Greenough bit is spot on. House prices still high here and not budging. Still plenty of house building going on too.

Gems

Geelong Gent Jan 14th 2009 9:32 am

Originally Posted by sj oldfield (Post 7165786)
I remember the same thing happening in the UK in about 1991, house prices crashed overnight......it picked up again after a few years

Yes our neighbour sprang back from negative gearing in 2003 only 12 years later:rofl:

Catch Jan 14th 2009 10:00 am

I think you will find the average price of uk housing now is around £160,000

Catch Jan 14th 2009 10:15 am

saw some geezer on telly the other day on about "historically housing in AUS was linked to 3.5 times average salary" this seems to have gone out the window a bit.Went a few homes open the other day the agents seem to be singing a different tune than 6 months ago ie "this is only a temporary price drop" it was more. "Make an offer they wont turn you down".

bcworld Jan 14th 2009 10:16 am

Originally Posted by Catch (Post 7165901)
I think you will find the average price of uk housing now is around £160,000

Halifax figures - Dec 2008 159,896 (vs 199,700 peak in Aug 2007)

Catch Jan 14th 2009 10:23 am

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 7165977)
Halifax figures - Dec 2008 159,896 (vs 199,700 peak in Aug 2007)

forgot to say they are Halifax figures ,spot on for finding it:thumbup: