Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

PERTH-help for newbies!

PERTH-help for newbies!

Old Feb 23rd 2006, 12:56 am
BE Enthusiast

nicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant future
Default Re: PERTH-help for newbies!

Originally Posted by JIVEBABE
Expat Support Meet as usual Dome Cafe, Hillary's Boat Harbor, 12.30pm today all welcome!

Also just to let everyone know that I have taken all the useful info that I have collected since we moved here almost a year ago and compiled a new migrant file which is now being held at Joondalup Public Library, in the Community Information Section (where I work), we have also put a link onto the Joondalup Council website to tell people about our group.

http://www.joondalup.wa.gov.au/cms/t...e_pg.asp?id=50 then search for migrants or click on M in the index window.

The council so far have been quite receptive to the idea of providing a free information service for new migrants and have even put a whole new section in the libraries easy links, covering the most popular subjects of migration.

http://www.joondalup.wa.gov.au/cms/t...109&mode1=full

Hopefully both the links and the file will grow in time but I need to prove there is a need for such a service, so if anyone has any ideas where I can get statistics of the numbers of new migrants to Joondalup and the northern suburbs and how I can prove this service would be of value to new migrants please let me know! I have been collecting numbers of new migrants that visit the library to use the internet facilities and talk to me about aspects of their move (which seems to be going down a treat with newbies, they really seem to appreciate seeing a friendly face and asking all those tricky questions they dont seem to be able to find the answer to!...what did you do about this, what did you do about that etc etc.) but I could do with some official figures!

I'll keep you posted on the developments at the library!
Fantastic site. I've bookmarked it already, really helpful, I finally found a Judo school for my son!

Nicanjoe
Old Feb 28th 2006, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

5teve is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nicanjoe
Fantastic site. I've bookmarked it already, really helpful, I finally found a Judo school for my son!

Nicanjoe
Hi there!

Is the meet still on for this Thursday (2nd March)? and as there is such talk about 'ladies' are gents welcome also? is it the flag or tigger now?

thanks

Steve & Rachael
Old Feb 28th 2006, 1:47 pm
from Bristol to Perth

johnmitz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 5teve
Hi there!

Is the meet still on for this Thursday (2nd March)? and as there is such talk about 'ladies' are gents welcome also? is it the flag or tigger now?

thanks

Steve & Rachael
Hi all, we are also pretty new to this site, are moving to perth on the 13th March 06. Also want to know is there a meeting for the newbie "couples" as we want to try and fit in asap, have a sister there, but theres nothing like having your own friends!

p.s two kids aged 14 (boy) & 8 (girl)...............also looking for friends !

john & mitz
Old Feb 28th 2006, 5:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by johnmitz
Hi all, we are also pretty new to this site, are moving to perth on the 13th March 06. Also want to know is there a meeting for the newbie "couples" as we want to try and fit in asap, have a sister there, but theres nothing like having your own friends!

p.s two kids aged 14 (boy) & 8 (girl)...............also looking for friends !

john & mitz
We're moving to Perth on 25th March and have 2 girls (8 & 5). Where in Perth are you hoping to settle?
TJ
Old Feb 28th 2006, 6:03 pm
from Bristol to Perth

johnmitz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Johnstons
We're moving to Perth on 25th March and have 2 girls (8 & 5). Where in Perth are you hoping to settle?
TJ
There is someone out there !......Hya, we are looking to move to somewhere near Madeley which is north of perth, although, since we went out there last march house prices have climbed by about 10%, so may need to look a little further out.
How about you, any ideas yet? or gotta place set up?

Am currently looking at the schools out there to find the best one, that will have a large part in where we finally settle down.

We are a Hairdresser (thats what got us in) and a Cash and carry manager and cannot wait to get out there and stuck in!

Mother in law has just come back after three months in Perth, pretty hot but loved every minute of it......now thinking of following the grandkids out there! :scared:
Old Feb 28th 2006, 8:12 pm
www.perthcrest.com.au

The Vallies has much to be proud ofThe Vallies has much to be proud ofThe Vallies has much to be proud ofThe Vallies has much to be proud ofThe Vallies has much to be proud ofThe Vallies has much to be proud ofThe Vallies has much to be proud ofThe Vallies has much to be proud ofThe Vallies has much to be proud ofThe Vallies has much to be proud ofThe Vallies has much to be proud of

There is someone out there !......Hya, we are looking to move to somewhere near Madeley which is north of perth, although, since we went out there last march house prices have climbed by about 10%, so may need to look a little further out.

Am currently looking at the schools out there to find the best one, that will have a large part in where we finally settle down.

We are a Hairdresser (thats what got us in) and a Cash and carry manager and cannot wait to get out there and stuck in!

Mother in law has just come back after three months in Perth, pretty hot but loved every minute of it......now thinking of following the grandkids out there! :scared:
Hi John

We are Bristol area too (for now anyway)! Looking at Duncraig, Sorrento, Kingsley, Woodvale,Vines mainly but open to ideas. We are due to fly out 19th April and have a place lined up for two months renting in Kallaroo to keep us going for a little while.

You are right aobut prices though, we went out for our reckie in Nov 2004, and since then prices have rocketed! :scared:

Good luck with everything!

Nicola
x
Old Feb 28th 2006, 8:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to behold

A hairdresser? Will you be my friend?

We are staying in a serviced apartment in Subiaco for the first month and are looking to rent in Sorrento, Duncraig, Padbury, and surrounding areas when our furniture arrives. Hubby's office is on Kings Park Road (West Perth) and he doesn't want to be too far away from there. We're going to spend our 1st 2 weeks in Perth visiting the schools in these areas to try to get a 'feel' for the right one. I'm hoping that the right one for our girls will just leap out at us.

My parents have already booked their flights to come and visit in July (during kids holidays) and at Xmas!
Old Mar 1st 2006, 6:35 am
BE Enthusiast

YFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant future

Hi there!

thanks

Steve & Rachael
Yup. Meet will be on as usual tomorrow. Gents are welcome on condition they buy lots of cream cakes for the ladies
Yvonne
Old Mar 1st 2006, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

JIVEBABE has a brilliant futureJIVEBABE has a brilliant futureJIVEBABE has a brilliant futureJIVEBABE has a brilliant futureJIVEBABE has a brilliant futureJIVEBABE has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by YFitz
Yup. Meet will be on as usual tomorrow. Gents are welcome on condition they buy lots of cream cakes for the ladies
Yvonne
Meet on tomorrow, Dome Cafe, Hillarys, 12pm.

I've managed to get another flag from work so we will have the whole lot tomorrow, Flag and Tigger so you wont be able to miss us!! As Yvonne has said gents are welcome as long as they behave! Glad to hear the Community Info is useful! I got an award yesterday for the new migrants innovation....a lovely certificate and some dosh and movie tickets! I was very proud and all that for just doing what I love doin...not bad eh!

See you all tomorrow.
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 5:51 am
Forum Regular

JIVEBABE has a brilliant futureJIVEBABE has a brilliant futureJIVEBABE has a brilliant futureJIVEBABE has a brilliant futureJIVEBABE has a brilliant futureJIVEBABE has a brilliant future

Coffee meet up as usual, 12/12.30pm Dome Cafe, tomorrow, Hillary's Boat Harbour! All welcome!
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 5:56 am
Forum Regular

Coffee meet up as usual, 12/12.30pm Dome Cafe, tomorrow, Hillary's Boat Harbour! All welcome!
wow i wish we were there to meet up... we are now back in the UK and i have just had to scrape the ice off my car! still only another 3-4 weeks before i am out there again for a month (rachael wants to come but cant)... then hopefully we will be out permanently in august! cant wait! Thanks for all the info you shared when we met up... it was very useful, and probably another reason we have chosen perth!

Maybe see you soon!

Steve / Rachael
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 10:50 am
BE Enthusiast

nicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant futurenicanjoe has a brilliant future

Can't make this one, too long a flight from Canada teehee, but since our passports are being stamped as we speak, we'll be at a meet in June or July!!!!

Nicanjoe
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 11:04 pm
Forum Regular

wow i wish we were there to meet up... we are now back in the UK and i have just had to scrape the ice off my car! still only another 3-4 weeks before i am out there again for a month (rachael wants to come but cant)... then hopefully we will be out permanently in august! cant wait! Thanks for all the info you shared when we met up... it was very useful, and probably another reason we have chosen perth!

Maybe see you soon!

Steve / Rachael
Hi again! So glad you decided on Perth, you made a good choice!! Claire has been asking if we have heard from you, I will let her know you are coming to settle here, she will be thrilled. She has now started her full time posh job so we dont see as much of her as we did. It is very sad when members get work and no longer come to the meetings, they are sadly missed but hey, they still come to the night outs etc! The group has grown so much since we started it, we have upward of 40 members now, not all come to every meeting, but the last meal we had, 37 of them attended and it was a nightmare to organise (thanks to Claire and Sue for that). I am really amazed by the amount of friendly people we have and feel priviliged to have such a great group of people to turn to in order to create some truely memorable social events, I am sure you will both fit in great here, Good Luck!
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 5:02 am
Forum Regular

yeah we think its a good choice too ;O) if you see claire tell her we will be emailing her soon... when time permits! things have gone a bit mad here and we have a million and one things to get done before i go back out!

as i said having the expats group there swung the decision as it does help to get rid of the homesick blues having people we know.. thats if we get them at all! i should imagine the sun gets rid of a few of the blues!

when im back over i will have to see if i can get a thursday off! i'll be buggered if im buying 37 cream cakes tho!!! ;O)

see you soon

steve / rachael
Old Apr 19th 2006, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

Coffee meet on today as normal. 12pm, Dome Cafe Hillarys. Tied up kids welcome!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.