Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

PERTH-help for newbies!

PERTH-help for newbies!

Old Aug 30th 2006, 12:09 am
  #166  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Perth-WA
Posts: 192
JIVEBABE has a brilliant futureJIVEBABE has a brilliant futureJIVEBABE has a brilliant futureJIVEBABE has a brilliant futureJIVEBABE has a brilliant futureJIVEBABE has a brilliant future
Default Re: PERTH-help for newbies!

Just another quick update as I dont have much time nowadays to post on here. I've been approached over the last week by a number of people who have become aware of new migrants that are having a few problems and getting mega stressed during their first couple of weeks of migrations, if you are one of those people or you know of some-one in that situation.....PLEASE PLEASE come along to our meeting or encourage those who are struggling to attend. They really can help and we are all only too eager to help you settle into Perth, don't try to go it alone when there is sooooo much help around!

On a different note, Steve and Rach, I have 2 remaining places for Spring in the Valley Wine Tour on 7th Oct. Would you like them? Cost is $20 per person and food (optional) $18 per person. Claire and Alan, Sue and Glen plus a few other couples are going, anyway let me know. Sorry Hayley, I know you wanted 4 places but I only have 2 left!

Coffee meet is on as usual tomorrow at 12, at Dome Cafe, look for the LARGE group of chatting girlies, probably outside as the weather has warmed up! All welcome!

Sindy
JIVEBABE is offline  
Old Aug 30th 2006, 3:44 pm
  #167  
Forum Regular
 
Watty'n'Arls's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: South Fremantle
Posts: 250
Watty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to all
Default Re: PERTH-help for newbies!

Hi Sindy

Just to let you know Paul & I finally have a CO allocated and we have meds next week. PCC sent yesterday. Hopefully we will be sitting round your table at the dome again very soon.

Thanks again for the welcome you gave us in May

Watty'n'Arls
x
Watty'n'Arls is offline  
Old Aug 30th 2006, 3:51 pm
  #168  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: London
Posts: 353
rpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud of
Default Re: PERTH-help for newbies!

Originally Posted by JIVEBABE
Just another quick update as I dont have much time nowadays to post on here. I've been approached over the last week by a number of people who have become aware of new migrants that are having a few problems and getting mega stressed during their first couple of weeks of migrations, if you are one of those people or you know of some-one in that situation.....PLEASE PLEASE come along to our meeting or encourage those who are struggling to attend. They really can help and we are all only too eager to help you settle into Perth, don't try to go it alone when there is sooooo much help around!

On a different note, Steve and Rach, I have 2 remaining places for Spring in the Valley Wine Tour on 7th Oct. Would you like them? Cost is $20 per person and food (optional) $18 per person. Claire and Alan, Sue and Glen plus a few other couples are going, anyway let me know. Sorry Hayley, I know you wanted 4 places but I only have 2 left!

Coffee meet is on as usual tomorrow at 12, at Dome Cafe, look for the LARGE group of chatting girlies, probably outside as the weather has warmed up! All welcome!

Sindy
wine tour sounds great but we only arrive end November. If another is arranged for later date we'd love to join you all. Have a glass of vino for us..
rpa34 is offline  
Old Aug 30th 2006, 4:29 pm
  #169  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 757
marvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of light
Thumbs up Re: PERTH-help for newbies!

Originally Posted by JIVEBABE
Before I start I would like to thank those who used to run the Thursday coffee mornings for new people arriving in Perth, I found it a great help and met some wonderful people through it. Unfortunately as everyone started getting jobs and going off to work they ended.

I now have a job too but shall have 2 days off a week so I would like to start these up again if anyone out there is interested. They may not be every week but maybe every other week, we can see how we go.

I met my best mate through the meetings and that helped me settle here quickly as I had some-one to lean on when things got tough, as did she. We are now both pretty much established and have talked about starting the coffee mornings up again as we feel it would be a shame for newbies to miss out on the opportunity of meeting others in the same boat as themselves. We had a lot of fun and found out a load of useful info from people who had been here a few months, some a few years, so if any girls would be interested in coming along for a coffee at Hilary's to have a chat and meet new people let me know and we can get one arranged.

What a great idea, not there yet but a lovely idea to help people settle even if just to chat and to make friends which is half the battle. Well done
marvinc is offline  
Old Aug 30th 2006, 11:52 pm
  #170  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Perth-WA
Posts: 192
JIVEBABE has a brilliant futureJIVEBABE has a brilliant futureJIVEBABE has a brilliant futureJIVEBABE has a brilliant futureJIVEBABE has a brilliant futureJIVEBABE has a brilliant future
Default Re: PERTH-help for newbies!

Originally Posted by Watty'n'Arls
Hi Sindy

Just to let you know Paul & I finally have a CO allocated and we have meds next week. PCC sent yesterday. Hopefully we will be sitting round your table at the dome again very soon.

Thanks again for the welcome you gave us in May

Watty'n'Arls
x

Hi Arlene, great news! I bet you're relieved. You'll be out just in time for our summer. The weather has warmed up a bit here with Tuesday almost reaching 28 degrees and first official day of spring on Friday...yehhh!

Anyway see you soon, hopefully!
JIVEBABE is offline  
Old Aug 31st 2006, 5:26 am
  #171  
Arrived Perth June 2006
 
Dawn's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Currambine, NOR, Perth.
Posts: 834
Dawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: PERTH-help for newbies!

Hi all, hope you had a good meet today, missed seeing you all, couldnt make it as our container is due today! finally after 12 weeks.....im so excited! rich picked up he landrover this morning which had our plasma screen in, i was worried it wasnt going to work but plugged it in and all fine...yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Now just sitting, waiting for the lorry to arrive then i will be kissing my sofas and fridge

Anyway see you all next week, anyone newies thinking of going please do, its made me feel so much better, ive been here 8 weeks now and do miss my friends in the UK, but the meets on a Thurs give me a lift and see me though the week

see you next week



Originally Posted by JIVEBABE
Hi Arlene, great news! I bet you're relieved. You'll be out just in time for our summer. The weather has warmed up a bit here with Tuesday almost reaching 28 degrees and first official day of spring on Friday...yehhh!

Anyway see you soon, hopefully!
Dawn is offline  
Old Sep 1st 2006, 1:05 am
  #172  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Perth-WA
Posts: 192
JIVEBABE has a brilliant futureJIVEBABE has a brilliant futureJIVEBABE has a brilliant futureJIVEBABE has a brilliant futureJIVEBABE has a brilliant futureJIVEBABE has a brilliant future
Default Re: PERTH-help for newbies!

Originally Posted by Dawn
Hi all, hope you had a good meet today, missed seeing you all, couldnt make it as our container is due today! finally after 12 weeks.....im so excited! rich picked up he landrover this morning which had our plasma screen in, i was worried it wasnt going to work but plugged it in and all fine...yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Now just sitting, waiting for the lorry to arrive then i will be kissing my sofas and fridge

Anyway see you all next week, anyone newies thinking of going please do, its made me feel so much better, ive been here 8 weeks now and do miss my friends in the UK, but the meets on a Thurs give me a lift and see me though the week

see you next week
Hi Dawn

We did have a good meet up thanks. There were a couple of newbies. Glad to hear you have your container now. It is so nice to be sleeping in your own bed again and sitting on your own sofas! I remember that day well. Enjoy!
JIVEBABE is offline  
Old Sep 1st 2006, 12:52 pm
  #173  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: perth australia
Posts: 13
melissa is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: PERTH-help for newbies!

hi there,
I'm just new to perth having migrated from scotland in june. I'm with my partner whose out to work now and i am looking after our two small boys aged 4 and 1. i would love to meet some other people especially if any of you have kids around the same age because they need friends too.
melissa is offline  
Old Sep 1st 2006, 1:00 pm
  #174  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: was Sunny Heanor, Derbs now even Sunnier Perth!
Posts: 97
5teve is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: PERTH-help for newbies!

Originally Posted by melissa
hi there,
I'm just new to perth having migrated from scotland in june. I'm with my partner whose out to work now and i am looking after our two small boys aged 4 and 1. i would love to meet some other people especially if any of you have kids around the same age because they need friends too.
just go down there... you cant miss them... very friendly and it will be the best thing you will do! friends make settling easy...
5teve is offline  
Old Sep 1st 2006, 1:05 pm
  #175  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: perth australia
Posts: 13
melissa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: PERTH-help for newbies!

thanks. I'll try get down there. I've got my kids so do you know if its ok to take them? does anyone else bring their children? It's on a thursday isnt it, but what time?
melissa is offline  
Old Sep 1st 2006, 1:08 pm
  #176  
Gutter Gob!!
 
northernbird's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Perth
Posts: 13,098
northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PERTH-help for newbies!

Originally Posted by melissa
thanks. I'll try get down there. I've got my kids so do you know if its ok to take them? does anyone else bring their children? It's on a thursday isnt it, but what time?
its thursdays I think 12.30 at the Dome at Hillarys. I think people take their kids although I have a demonic 4 year old so I have only made it once, didn't feel comfortable but if you can relax with your kids there (I couldn't) then they will make you feel very welcome.
northernbird is offline  
Old Sep 1st 2006, 1:13 pm
  #177  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: perth australia
Posts: 13
melissa is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: PERTH-help for newbies!

i know what you mean. my 1 year old would be no bother but i might also have difficulty with the 4 year old. i'll see what happens, thanks for your help.
melissa is offline  
Old Sep 1st 2006, 3:02 pm
  #178  
Forum Regular
 
Chef69's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Now Perth,not Ireland
Posts: 173
Chef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: PERTH-help for newbies!

Melissa,
Do come along to the Dome,bring your children and give it a go,even if you don't come every week,it is just a great place to start and when the good weather and school holidays come,we are talking about going to a place where everybody can brin their children to run around.
So ,see you there The Dome , Hillarys next Thurs at 12,
Chef69 is offline  
Old Sep 1st 2006, 3:05 pm
  #179  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: perth australia
Posts: 13
melissa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: PERTH-help for newbies!

i will give it a go, thanks to all for being so kind.
melissa is offline  
Old Sep 6th 2006, 8:49 am
  #180  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Perth-WA
Posts: 192
JIVEBABE has a brilliant futureJIVEBABE has a brilliant futureJIVEBABE has a brilliant futureJIVEBABE has a brilliant futureJIVEBABE has a brilliant futureJIVEBABE has a brilliant future
Default Re: PERTH-help for newbies!

Originally Posted by melissa
i will give it a go, thanks to all for being so kind.
Hi Melissa and Norternbird,

Please both of you come along this Thursday, it is the group's 1st Birthday and we are having champers and cake. It should be a great meeting, might even be a surprise at 2pm, so everyone hang around til then!

Any other newbies who have just arrived or old hands that are feeling a bit lonely, join us for a fab celebration!

Can't believe it's been a year already! Counted up the contacts I have and they amount to 30! Gosh we've come a long way from 4 around a solitary table!

S x
JIVEBABE is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.