British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   PERTH-help for newbies! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/perth-help-newbies-319927/)

JIVEBABE Aug 14th 2005 9:19 am

PERTH-help for newbies!

Before I start I would like to thank those who used to run the Thursday coffee mornings for new people arriving in Perth, I found it a great help and met some wonderful people through it. Unfortunately as everyone started getting jobs and going off to work they ended.

I now have a job too but shall have 2 days off a week so I would like to start these up again if anyone out there is interested. They may not be every week but maybe every other week, we can see how we go.

I met my best mate through the meetings and that helped me settle here quickly as I had some-one to lean on when things got tough, as did she. We are now both pretty much established and have talked about starting the coffee mornings up again as we feel it would be a shame for newbies to miss out on the opportunity of meeting others in the same boat as themselves. We had a lot of fun and found out a load of useful info from people who had been here a few months, some a few years, so if any girls would be interested in coming along for a coffee at Hilary's to have a chat and meet new people let me know and we can get one arranged.

:D

chr1sarter Aug 14th 2005 1:05 pm

Re: PERTH-help for newbies!

where abouts are you in perth.

peppi Aug 14th 2005 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by JIVEBABE
Before I start I would like to thank those who used to run the Thursday coffee mornings for new people arriving in Perth, I found it a great help and met some wonderful people through it. Unfortunately as everyone started getting jobs and going off to work they ended.

I now have a job too but shall have 2 days off a week so I would like to start these up again if anyone out there is interested. They may not be every week but maybe every other week, we can see how we go.

I met my best mate through the meetings and that helped me settle here quickly as I had some-one to lean on when things got tough, as did she. We are now both pretty much established and have talked about starting the coffee mornings up again as we feel it would be a shame for newbies to miss out on the opportunity of meeting others in the same boat as themselves. We had a lot of fun and found out a load of useful info from people who had been here a few months, some a few years, so if any girls would be interested in coming along for a coffee at Hilary's to have a chat and meet new people let me know and we can get one arranged.

I deffinately would be...I didnt know the others had stopped...I havent actually arrived yet but I leave in 5 weeks time and the thought that Id have an escape for a couple of hours a week would be good..Husband will be driving me up the pole by then 24/7 I expect. Did you others find getting nearer the time that you started getting tetchy with each other all the time....Or is it just us...

emmarebecca Aug 14th 2005 4:26 pm

I'd love to!! I'm in the uk currently visiting my family and have been back and forth between here and aus for the last year or two as my partner is over there. Just can't resist the offer of a coffee and a chat!! I'll be back in perth definately by the end of september so please keep me posted!
love em xx

suzannepatricia Aug 14th 2005 4:50 pm

I would love to join in as soon as I get there! I am a middled aged single lady, a carer for people with learning difficulties, who is hopefully be in Perth in next few months. The more info I can get about Perth the better. My main hobby is singing and performing in amateur theatre, so hope that I can find somewhere to join.
Suzanne :)

JIVEBABE Aug 15th 2005 12:16 am

Great, there are a few interested then. I live in Heathridge at the moment but the meeting will take place at the old venue as it is easier to find. Dome Cafe, Hilary's. Just going off for the first day of my new job so will find out today what my shifts are then I can arrange a definate time and day. Wish me luck!!

Larissa Aug 15th 2005 1:35 am

Yeah, I would love to come.
It was great to meet up again on Saturday, I hadn't realised how much I'd missed everyone! I feel settled here with my new mates but there's something really cool in meeting up with our group of mad English (and dutch lol) ladies... we have been through so much together :D

Simone Aug 15th 2005 5:02 am

Good idea to start them up again, it's a great way to meet friends :)

I'm won't be coming, I'm working full time, and in the south east too, and to be honest, have to many friends now as it is :D Geez that sounds stupid, you can never have to many friends really, and I keep meeting so many new nice people! But I'm not used to having this many as it is(i've still got friends from when I grew here too) and I'm crap at staying in touch, even with good friends!! But there's all different kinds of friends, some I see weekly, some monthly at parties, nights out etc etc.

But anyway, blabbing on as usual!...... I just wanted to say good idea, and have fun :D

And I'll see some of you again at the next night out, which is always a lot of fun :D

JIVEBABE Aug 16th 2005 7:34 am

Great, that's settled then! Thursdays as usual, Dome cafe, Hilary's 12 noon! If any newbies want directions pm me and I'll do my best to direct. I will take my tigger toy along and leave him on the table so people will know who we are. I remember my first time at the coffee morning, looking round to see if I could spot anyone 'new' looking.....as if..! See ya there!

emmarebecca Aug 17th 2005 5:50 am

that sounds great!..it'll be nice to meet a few new people and have a natter I fly back 8th september so I'll see you in a few weeks!! em xxx

dolly1 Aug 17th 2005 12:36 pm

Hi would love to come but working - hope to meet up with everyone at a later date Dolly XX (sure we will)

webgum Aug 17th 2005 1:21 pm

Hi there. I will come if my aircon man comes (sounds extremely dodgy). His 'window' is 12 - 3 so if he's early, I'd love to wizz up to meet you. If I don't make it I'll definitely be up for the next one. Thanks.

ladysarah Aug 17th 2005 2:11 pm

Great, that's settled then! Thursdays as usual, Dome cafe, Hilary's 12 noon! If any newbies want directions pm me and I'll do my best to direct. I will take my tigger toy along and leave him on the table so people will know who we are. I remember my first time at the coffee morning, looking round to see if I could spot anyone 'new' looking.....as if..! See ya there!

have just registered on this site as myself & my husband are emigrating to perth tomorrow(18/8/05) and we do not know anybody yet or much about the place, so the coffee mornings sound like a fab idea.we will miss tomorrows as do not land untill late afternoon but will there be one next thur?

Scossie Aug 17th 2005 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by ladysarah
have just registered on this site as myself & my husband are emigrating to perth tomorrow(18/8/05) and we do not know anybody yet or much about the place, so the coffee mornings sound like a fab idea.we will miss tomorrows as do not land untill late afternoon but will there be one next thur?

Don't write your posts in BOLD & then the Perth girls, (& Mrs Scossie is one of them) will find it easier to read, & you'll get more replies!!

Have a good flight, & welcome to WA when you get here.....:)

Larissa Aug 18th 2005 1:35 am

Just wadded through 3 pages to find this, hope to see y'all around 12.00.
Hmmmm... maybe Perth ladies should have our own sub forum? ;)