Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth: Help! Does anyone have Win98 Second Edition ?

Perth: Help! Does anyone have Win98 Second Edition ?

Old Oct 14th 2004, 2:46 pm
Living the Oz lifestyle..

sunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant future
Default Perth: Help! Does anyone have Win98 Second Edition ?

Hi everyone in Perth,

We're trying to get broadband installed. The cables are in but it turns out we can't load the software without our Windows CD which appears to have gone awol somewhere between blighty and Fremantle.

I was wondering if anyone in the Northern suburbs in Perth has a CD we could borrow for a few hours? It needs to be the second edition though.

Thanks,
Sunchaser
Old Oct 14th 2004, 4:41 pm

maxpaxx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Perth: Help! Does anyone have Win98 Second Edition ?

Originally Posted by sunchaser
Hi everyone in Perth,

We're trying to get broadband installed. The cables are in but it turns out we can't load the software without our Windows CD which appears to have gone awol somewhere between blighty and Fremantle.

I was wondering if anyone in the Northern suburbs in Perth has a CD we could borrow for a few hours? It needs to be the second edition though.

Thanks,
Sunchaser
If it's Windows 98 XP we have got it and are near you.

Max
Old Oct 14th 2004, 7:38 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone in Perth,

Thanks,
Sunchaser
Have a look on your hard drive. If it came pre-loaded with Windows 98, chances are the setup files are on the hard disk somewhere. Usually either C:\Win98 or C:\Windows\Options\Cabs. When asked for the CD, you should be able to browse to one of these locations instead.
Old Oct 14th 2004, 10:57 pm

sunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant future

Hi Max,

I don't think it's Windows 98 XP but I guess it's worth a try! Could we possibly collect it from you sometime this weekend? I'd be very grateful if you could pm me your phone number and I'll give you a ring.

Thanks!
Colleen

Originally Posted by maxpaxx
If it's Windows 98 XP we have got it and are near you.

Max
Old Oct 14th 2004, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by wmoore
Have a look on your hard drive. If it came pre-loaded with Windows 98, chances are the setup files are on the hard disk somewhere. Usually either C:\Win98 or C:\Windows\Options\Cabs. When asked for the CD, you should be able to browse to one of these locations instead.
Hi Wmoore,

I have looked on our harddrive but it keeps asking for the disk. I have also told it to automatically check the harddrive but nothing can be found. Bloody frustrating I can assure you!! But, thanks for trying to help anyway.

Colleen
Old Oct 15th 2004, 2:43 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Hi everyone in Perth,

Thanks,
Sunchaser
Maybe find a local PC shop or 'PC Doctor'. They may be kind and offer a loan for free. I'd be inclined to buy a second hand copy. Never know when you might need it.
I sold half a dozen copies to a shop before I left the UK. They paid £10 for disc with licence key or £5 without the license. You should be able to get for similar in Perth I would have thought.
Maybe try the yellow pages or sensis.