Perth help

Old Jun 28th 2006, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

andydon has a spectacular aura aboutandydon has a spectacular aura aboutandydon has a spectacular aura about
Default Perth help

Hi

We are looking for some advice

We are planning to move to Australia early in the new year but have not fully decided where (only us - no family or friends in Australia ). My wife really likes Perth but we have never been but my uncle reckons there are LOADS of flies and because of them it is unbearable in the summer.

Small point i know but we love the outdoors and spent a while in Spain but were infested with them which partly ruined our time there, so just like to get thoughts of people who live there and if he has his facts right.

Cheers for help

Andy
Old Jun 28th 2006, 8:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

woody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant future
Default Re: Perth help

We don't astually live there (yet) but went to Oz for December a couple of years ago. We travelled down the coast from Perth but were mainly based in Bunbury. It was a heatwave at the time and we didn't find any problems with flies.

Debs
Old Jun 28th 2006, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

evanio1978 has a spectacular aura aboutevanio1978 has a spectacular aura aboutevanio1978 has a spectacular aura about

I have an idea. Before you make such a big move why don't you go and see the place for yourself ?

Moving there on a whim is receipt for disaster.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

andydon has a spectacular aura aboutandydon has a spectacular aura aboutandydon has a spectacular aura about

Plan too but just wanted to get some info before hand, a holiday sometimes doesn't give the right answers......

Originally Posted by evanio1978
I have an idea. Before you make such a big move why don't you go and see the place for yourself ?

Old Jun 28th 2006, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold

We were in Perth for three weeks in January last year. There were days that the temperature hit the 40's and there was no problem at all with flies.
Tracie
Old Jun 28th 2006, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Tracie, it's good to know and looks like my uncles information is unfounded

Originally Posted by breezeboylan
We were in Perth for three weeks in January last year. There were days that the temperature hit the 40's and there was no problem at all with flies.
Tracie
Old Jun 28th 2006, 8:59 pm
Steve & Julie and son

hope&pray is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by andydon
Hi

We are planning to move to Australia early in the new year but have not fully decided where (only us - no family or friends in Australia ). My wife really likes Perth but we have never been but my uncle reckons there are LOADS of flies and because of them it is unbearable in the summer.

Small point i know but we love the outdoors and spent a while in Spain but were infested with them which partly ruined our time there, so just like to get thoughts of people who live there and if he has his facts right.

Cheers for help

Andy
Hi Andy
We are only a little older and have son 9 but have not been Australia but after reading and looking thought about south east cost but have set are sites on perth and surrounding area rockingham / Fremantle hope to be there by December 6moth
Old Jun 28th 2006, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

Had not looked at Rockingham but like the look of Fremantle, property looks to be more expensive there but you get more for your money i think.

Maybe see you there

Originally Posted by hope&pray
Hi Andy
We are only a little older and have son 9 but have not been Australia but after reading and looking thought about south east cost but have set are sites on perth and surrounding area rockingham / Fremantle hope to be there by December 6moth
Old Jun 28th 2006, 10:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

Hi

Cheers for help

Andy
there are some flies in Perth in summer, but in my view nothing to worry about. Keep the flyscreens closed and you are safe inside or use some of the sprays. Outside in your garden it depends what sort of plants you have. Most people I reckon have very very few flies. 25 years ago when I was in Perth, when the outskirts where at Lynwood, Parkwood (SOR), flies were a huge problem and they were big.

Sometimes we have mossies but this is our fault when we don't keep our water pumps running enough in the ponds.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

shade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Evelin
there are some flies in Perth in summer, but in my view nothing to worry about. Keep the flyscreens closed and you are safe inside or use some of the sprays. Outside in your garden it depends what sort of plants you have. Most people I reckon have very very few flies. 25 years ago when I was in Perth, when the outskirts where at Lynwood, Parkwood (SOR), flies were a huge problem and they were big.

Sometimes we have mossies but this is our fault when we don't keep our water pumps running enough in the ponds.

Don't worry about the flies maybe you get 2 weeks of them but you live with it.
As for not visiting first plenty of us didn't and we were fine.Nothing is the same anyway if you visit on holiday.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 11:02 pm
Finally living the dream!

AlCo is a jewel in the roughAlCo is a jewel in the roughAlCo is a jewel in the roughAlCo is a jewel in the roughAlCo is a jewel in the rough

Hi, been twice now over the last couple of years and the flies are not too bad in summer. In all fairness you get used to them. The locals call it the 'Perth wave'!!! They are a pain, but it's not really any worse then most places.

You must go and see it for yourself before you move there - after we had been there once we were hooked!
Old Jun 29th 2006, 12:12 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Cheers for help

Andy
Flies are only a problem between November & early January & then they are no longer around. Even then I found it was not that bad & last summer was apparently worse than normal for flies.
Old Jun 29th 2006, 2:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Cheers for help

Andy
I heard that the local government funds the cultivation of dung beetles that eat flies, or their eggs, or something like that. They said funding was cut last year, hence more flies. They can be worse in new areas it seems, where it can feel like you're surrounded by desert.

My wife was really worried about mosquitoes, but they certainly don't seem to be a problem in the northern coastal suburbs. Ross River Virus is a bit of an issue in the Mandurah area, and that was the main reason we didn't move there (but we visit in winter and it's very nice).
Old Jun 29th 2006, 2:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by evanio1978

Good advice, but the poster didn't say he wasn't going to see, and didn't give any indication he was going on a whim.
Old Jun 29th 2006, 2:43 am

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Flies are only a problem between November & early January & then they are no longer around. Even then I found it was not that bad & last summer was apparently worse than normal for flies.
It was better than I expected, but still worse than I would have liked. And if yours disappeared by January, you were very lucky. Ours were still alive and flourishing in April and May!! Not full scale, but enough to be annoying.

I haven't had a big problem with flies in the house though - which is what really matters to me. They've got a right to be outside, but the house is a no-go area and I'm a very dab hand with a fly swatter. Tbh, I had more flies inside when we lived in rural Somerset.

And I would far rather cope with the flies than the mozzies!! Got bitten a couple of weeks ago and it *still* itches!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.