Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth - got visas now where do we live?

Perth - got visas now where do we live?

Old Sep 10th 2009, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

bernstable is a jewel in the roughbernstable is a jewel in the roughbernstable is a jewel in the roughbernstable is a jewel in the rough
Default Perth - got visas now where do we live?

Got our 457 visa approval (woohoo!) and landing in Perth at the beginning of October.

Now the really tricky part - deciding where to live. The plan is to rent somewhere relatively central and then look around the various areas to get a feel for where we'd like to be. But some recommendations for suburbs would be great.

A few details:-
Family consists of myself, the better half, a 2 1/2 year old and a 3 1/2 year old plus one on the way.
I'm big into my windsurfing but we live an active life mountain biking, surfing, running etc etc so accessibility to sports is pretty essential.
Walking distance to the beach is ideal (essential!).
The other half wants a pool but I figure walking to the beach is a much better idea
Don't really want to be car dependant for day to day living so walking distance or good public transport to nurseries, schools, shops, coffee etc.
Proximity to place of work is not really a dictating factor as my role is to establish a subsidiary branch of our UK company and so where I'm working will be dictated to a certain extent by where I live. ( Although a max of 40-45 minutes to CBD by public transport or car would be ideal).
Budget AUD$2000 - $3000 per month.

So far we are thinking Cottesloe, Mandurah, Fremantle but suggestions would be much appreciated so I can start compiling a bit of a shortlist.

Thanks
Old Sep 10th 2009, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Perth - got visas now where do we live?

I don't think I'd stay in Cottesloe. A bit too busy with tourists!

I was going to suggest Freo but when you get here get a car and drive up and down the coast as there are lots of areas such as Hillarys but I think that's quite pricey!

I think you might struggle without a car though as so many things are spread out. Mind you I don't do public transport that often!

Happy planning!
Old Sep 10th 2009, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

bernstable is a jewel in the roughbernstable is a jewel in the roughbernstable is a jewel in the roughbernstable is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Perth - got visas now where do we live?

Its not so much that we won't have a car - we will. For the day to day stuff it'd just be nice if things were within walking distance.