Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Perth As Good As It Sounds

Is Perth As Good As It Sounds

Old Mar 19th 2005, 7:42 pm
la la la la la errr... la

deadlygrape is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is Perth As Good As It Sounds

we're are planning to move to perth next year and would love to know how good it really is.
i've seen some houses in the news paper posted over from oz and they all look really nice and cheap, are these for real or is it just the sale agents fooling us. £1 is $2.44 over there and for $350,000 you cant get about a 4 bedroom, 2 bathroom house with usally a swimming pool is that good or can we get something better somewhere else?

how much does it usally rain is it as bad as england or is it always as sunny as people say it is.
we'd like to know and please tell us!
Old Mar 19th 2005, 7:50 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Perth As Good As It Sounds

Originally Posted by deadlygrape
we're are planning to move to perth next year and would love to know how good it really is.
i've seen some houses in the news paper posted over from oz and they all look really nice and cheap, are these for real or is it just the sale agents fooling us. £1 is $2.44 over there and for $350,000 you cant get about a 4 bedroom, 2 bathroom house with usally a swimming pool is that good or can we get something better somewhere else?

how much does it usally rain is it as bad as england or is it always as sunny as people say it is.
It hardly ever rains here, but can get uncomfortably hot in summer.
Personally I think there are more friendly and better places to live in OZ, but thats just my opinon. I'm out of here as soon as I finish my degree.

As for house prices, that depends on the suburb you choose. Where I live for instance you'd pay around $300,000 for a basic older style 3bdrm home with no swimming pool!
Ive also seen amazing houses with great pools and exquisite architecture and river views for around $7,000,000 +

You can probably buy a 4 bdrm house with a pool in Armadale for a lot less than you're $350,000 magic figure, but who wants to live there?
Old Mar 19th 2005, 7:56 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Perth is great, your property is much cheaper than most of uk.

The weather is no where near as wet as uk most of summer is bone dry, still it does rain in winter and oz rain is big at times.
Will you like it? Who knows not everyone likes oz its not uk with sun.For me thats a plus.
You will get home sick you will find the way some things are done ott, you will take time to settle.
The way of life is good, work hard and you can play hard . Kids will love it.
If you can visit oz and not just perth before you go.
Old Mar 19th 2005, 11:25 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Depends what you mean by better.

What you see in the paper is for real and not estate agents trying to "fool" people, however you are looking at it from a british perspective, but the estate agents are marketing with an australian perspective, so yes you are being fooled.

The average house price in Perth is around the $270k mark so $350k will get you an "above average" house in general but depends what suburbs you are looking at. As an example, the suburb we are renting in at the moment has an average price of about $450k (guess why we're renting) so your $350k would at best get you a 2x1 un-refurbished house in this suburb. Not quite the 4x2 with pool that you are dreaming of. However in a different suburb you could get that 4x2 with pool and still have close on $100k left over to go shopping with.

Are you bringing the $350k over with you as a result of your UK house sale ?

For most Perthies, the type of houses you seem to be looking at are not nice and cheap. $350k is outside the league for most normal perth folks.

Salaries avarage around $42k per year, which equates to about $550 per week.

A $350k mortgage over 30 years at 7.5% equates to over $2400 per month.

Unless both partners work with above average salaries, a young couple in perth just cant afford these kind of places.

The farther out of perth you go the cheaper the prices become and if you are prepared to go to the country you will find some really cheap places. Might find it difficult getting jobs though.

Regarding the weather, yes it does rain (mainly in the winter) and yes there are lots of sunny days (esp in the summer). Quite often in the summer time though you'll be wishing for cloud and rain.

Have you done a reccy trip (or are you planning one) ? There is a lot more to Perth than "cheap" housing and sunny weather.

Last edited by Vegemite Kids; Mar 19th 2005 at 11:29 pm. Reason: grammar