Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth.....good and bad opinions please!

Perth.....good and bad opinions please!

Old Mar 8th 2007, 11:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Wandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud of
Default Perth.....good and bad opinions please!

Hi

We are applying to move to Perth, OH has family so we have somewhere to stay when we get there.

Am hearing good and bad things about it, mainly that the property is very expensive?

How is it really, good and bad stories please....want to be prepared!!!

No children coming with us just 2 cats. Both in our 30's, I am a health and safety advisor and partner will do anything!!!!

Thanks

Wx
Old Mar 8th 2007, 4:56 pm
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth.....good and bad opinions please!

Originally Posted by Wandathecat
Hi

We are applying to move to Perth, OH has family so we have somewhere to stay when we get there.

Am hearing good and bad things about it, mainly that the property is very expensive?

No children coming with us just 2 cats. Both in our 30's, I am a health and safety advisor and partner will do anything!!!!

Thanks

Wx
this is an on going question,and lots of different opinions,,from different people.
some who its worked for,some it hasn't,some who love it and some who dont.
you will never get a straight answer ,so it might just pay to do a search..

i love it but i havent lived there so i am not qualified to answer..

i have spent a year researching on here,and one thing i do know,the only way to find out if its for you is to get out and live the dream or nightmare!!!

good luck in what ever you decide,,,

aston
Old Mar 8th 2007, 8:17 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wandathecat
Hi

Thanks

Wx
Astons right its been done to death and usually ends up in a row of some sort.

My take on it is if you like pubs, clubs, excellent shopping centres along the lines of the trafford centre/Bluewater then you will hate Perth. It has none of those things and if you chose to live in suburbia its deathly quiet and nobody will speak to you.
Old Mar 8th 2007, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by northernbird
Astons right its been done to death and usually ends up in a row of some sort.

My take on it is if you like pubs, clubs, excellent shopping centres along the lines of the trafford centre/Bluewater then you will hate Perth. It has none of those things and if you chose to live in suburbia its deathly quiet and nobody will speak to you.
Where do you start on this subject,it can go on for ever and "Northerbird" is so right it can end up in a row...after one thread "Northerbird" didnt want to live next door to me...but thats in the past..

Perth is what you make it,we love it but we live in East Perth so its easy to get to the NOR and SOR,its a bit older than some of Perth so the house prices reflect that,down side is to get to the coast takes 30/45 mins....its a very quite place,I'm from a suburb in London and this is like going to a sleepy village in somerset..

Cost of living i guess is about the same as the UK if you take into account the wages are generally lower..

On the up side my boys are doing well in school and love the outdoor lifestyle,they are happy going to school..we have a pool and have had BBQ no end, some thing we didnt have in the UK.
are we rich,or have loads of money..No way but its what you make it..

Steve
Old Mar 8th 2007, 9:14 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve2438
Where do you start on this subject,it can go on for ever and "Northerbird" is so right it can end up in a row...after one thread "Northerbird" didnt want to live next door to me...but thats in the past..

Perth is what you make it,we love it but we live in East Perth so its easy to get to the NOR and SOR,its a bit older than some of Perth so the house prices reflect that,down side is to get to the coast takes 30/45 mins....its a very quite place,I'm from a suburb in London and this is like going to a sleepy village in somerset..

Cost of living i guess is about the same as the UK if you take into account the wages are generally lower..

On the up side my boys are doing well in school and love the outdoor lifestyle,they are happy going to school..we have a pool and have had BBQ no end, some thing we didnt have in the UK.
are we rich,or have loads of money..No way but its what you make it..

Steve
I think you will find Steve that I said what I did because you slated both the place of my birth and where I choose to live now in Perth. Everyone can have opinions without insulting the choices of others.
Old Mar 8th 2007, 9:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by northernbird
I think you will find Steve that I said what I did because you slated both the place of my birth and where I choose to live now in Perth. Everyone can have opinions without insulting the choices of others.

Ok Northerbird and for that I'm very very very sorry, i should't have done that...it was rude and offensive.

Steve
Old Mar 8th 2007, 9:21 pm
Gutter Gob!!

Originally Posted by Steve2438
Ok Northerbird and for that I'm very very very sorry, i should't have done that...it was rude and offensive.

Steve
have a great day
Old Mar 8th 2007, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Phoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to behold

Theres a thread here with a few points raised - Perth suits some and not others - depends on what you want out of it.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=429564

If you do a search in the bar at the top you'll find many threads
Old Mar 8th 2007, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by phoenix_uk

If you do a search in the bar at the top you'll find many threads
Yep, hundreds of threads as this question gets asked about 10 times a week!

Personally I'd say do your own research and make your own mind up, dont go by what a load of strangers on a forum say.
Old Mar 8th 2007, 11:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Phoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to behold

It's funny reading through them all - I find the long threads are the best as it changes so much as you wander through peoples opinions.
I've even spent time in the going back to the uk forum just to get a feel of attitudes etc - it's like people watching without the facial expressions and choice of attire
Old Mar 9th 2007, 2:13 am
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by phoenix_uk
It's funny reading through them all - I find the long threads are the best as it changes so much as you wander through peoples opinions.
I've even spent time in the going back to the uk forum just to get a feel of attitudes etc - it's like people watching without the facial expressions and choice of attire
its a question i have come to realise,and it took me a year that no one is ever going to be able to answer..

there are all different stages that you go through....

the rose tinters..to start

the optimists,,which you have to be when moving to a country the other side of the world...

the newbies...just arrived..

and then ,the got the tee shirts..

then out of the got the t shirts,,
theres the ones who love it....and the ones that dont...

so from that mixed bags you are going to get a mixed bag of answers...
Old Mar 9th 2007, 3:57 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

The Good:

Travel brochure beaches
Friendly people
Cheap petrol
Free BBQ's
Wildlife
Drive in cinemas
Abundance of cultures
Fantastic restaurants
Drive through bottle shops
Mediterranean climate
The Swan Valley
Customer service
The South West
Lightening shows

The Bad:

Housing costs
Rental costs
Freeway gridlock
Traffic lights
Hoons
Public transport
Second hand car prices
Lack of nightlife
Expensive beer
Dodgy schooling
Worst driver standards ... (anywhere)
Supermarket hours of opening
Longer working hours
Isolation
Northbridge by night
Holden Commodores (pre-2000)
The Airport
Flight prices "home"
The telly

Make your own mind up.

Old Mar 9th 2007, 6:15 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Three Legs
The Good:

Travel brochure beaches
Friendly people
Cheap petrol
Free BBQ's
Wildlife
Drive in cinemas Aren't they the best !
Abundance of cultures
Fantastic restaurants
Drive through bottle shops And crates of cold beer
Mediterranean climate
The Swan Valley
Customer service
The South West
Lightening shows

The Bad:

Housing costs
Rental costs
Freeway gridlock
Traffic lights
Hoons
Public transport
Second hand car prices
Lack of nightlife
Expensive beer
Dodgy schooling I'm really pleased with the schools my kids go to - i guess its luck
Worst driver standards ... (anywhere)
Supermarket hours of opening
Longer working hours My OH works shorter hrs and gets 3 weekends in 4 off (used to work every sunday before)
Isolation
Northbridge by night
Holden Commodores (pre-2000)
The Airport
Flight prices "home"
The telly

Make your own mind up.

See above