British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Perth or Gold coast ??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/perth-gold-coast-124428/)

plumber39 Jan 2nd 2003 3:26 pm

Perth or Gold coast ???

Me and the family had been thinking of immigrating to OZ for sometime .Read a lot of posts on this forum,but like many had never been there.Well recently had the chance and did so.First we went to Perth(was,nt going too but so glad we did)As every body as said very clean city, cheap regular buses,so clean you could eat your dinner off the floor.Some days the temp was over 30c,like the day we took a trip over to Rotnest island.We hired bikes and cycled round the island,stopping off at various points for food and drink(and a bit of snorking,water warm and crystal clear, fish swimming around your feet-no sharks thank god!) Thought the heat would get to me ,but no,the dryness of the heat made it very tolerable indeed.

sorry one of my kids as just phoned for a lift,try and get back to you later and finnish the story.

scoobydooathome Jan 2nd 2003 3:51 pm

Re: Perth or Gold coast ???

Originally posted by plumber39
Me and the family had been thinking of immigrating to OZ for sometime .Read a lot of posts on this forum,but like many had never been there.Well recently had the chance and did so.First we went to Perth(was,nt going too but so glad we did)As every body as said very clean city, cheap regular buses,so clean you could eat your dinner off the floor.Some days the temp was over 30c,like the day we took a trip over to Rotnest island.We hired bikes and cycled round the island,stopping off at various points for food and drink(and a bit of snorking,water warm and crystal clear, fish swimming around your feet-no sharks thank god!) Thought the heat would get to me ,but no,the dryness of the heat made it very tolerable indeed.

sorry one of my kids as just phoned for a lift,try and get back to you later and finnish the story.
Hi there,

this will be good ...

i'll be waiting,

we are moving to Perth later this year,

later,

denhim Jan 2nd 2003 6:52 pm

Re: Perth or Gold coast ???

well ive not been to the gold coast but have been to perth, and i couldn`t agree with you more about how cleen the city is and its cheap efficient transport. i went there last feb and i thought `could i work in this heat` as my trade is a welder. guess theres only one way to find out...i should be moving there about this time next year. i stopped in a suburb called warwick and would mind renting a house there. lovely suburb.

plumber39 Jan 2nd 2003 10:34 pm

Just spent an hour extending on my original message and some how managed to lose the lot . sorry when i get time will rewrite post.

plumber39 Jan 2nd 2003 11:22 pm

Hillarys harbour very nice,restaurants,shops comming out your ears,kids playing area,water slides,whale watching,sea fishing,trips to Rotnest island,(AQWA)-like sea world but better.20mins to perth citywhich has even more shops.Felt that safe would,nt mind the kids going there for the day on their own. Get this I know why they all drive V8,s. petrol 85cent a litre(about a pound a gallon)Jap cars also cheaper,my suzuki vitara turbo diesel cost me £17500(49000 au dollars)There with A/C £11000(31000 au dollars).Toyota carolla 1.8 £6600 new on the road. Liked very much the show homes at Hillarys harbour,but very expensive, lots of Brits also looking and expaining to ozzie sale,s men how cheap they are,you should have seen how theirs little eyes lit up after that info. don,t think we,re helping our selfs talking like that.Prices seemed to have gone up the day after that.I can,t help think the very thing we are trying to get away from(spiraling house prices)is what we,re causing to happen there,and I don,t think the average ozzie appreciates it either. I,ll well think the only place I,ll be able to afford when I get tere will be a small flat over lookng gas work,s.
Let me know if i,m boring you have lots more to share.

ps sorry reply so slow only a plumber,(who can,t type)

eRnie Jan 3rd 2003 10:42 am

All I can say coming from the UK is I have never seen a place which is more clean and tidy then the Gold Coast and Brisbane, I`m probably biased because I have been there twice instead of going elsewhere in Australia. It depends if being in a tourist trap will drive you mad or not, I presonally like all the tourists ( being one of them myself ) and find its always fun. Which ever you choose good luck and have fun. :D

andie Jan 3rd 2003 2:10 pm

we also cant decide on brisbane or perth. travelled round brissy, which is a fantastic place. gold coast is lovely. weve read loads on perth which also sounds fab. i think we will have to draw straws. andie.

Ceri Jan 3rd 2003 2:33 pm

Originally posted by eRnie
All I can say coming from the UK is I have never seen a place which is more clean and tidy then the Gold Coast and Brisbane, I`m probably biased because I have been there twice instead of going elsewhere in Australia. It depends if being in a tourist trap will drive you mad or not, I presonally like all the tourists ( being one of them myself ) and find its always fun. Which ever you choose good luck and have fun. :D
sorry are you talking about the same place? needle bins in the loo's... rubbish dumped when there's a bin two metres away. I'm forever picking up other peoples cr*p here next to the water... plastic bags, beer bottles etc... big gripe of mine, rubbish next to water... seriously, The rubbish around the water is a problem... Goldcoast council usually cleans up every morning on those beaches.. I fish a lot and spend most weeks on the sea, and next to it... the rubbish here in Brisbane!

Perhaps you see things through a tourist view.
cheers:)

andie Jan 3rd 2003 2:40 pm

im comparing it to blackpool, have you seen the rubbish there.

Ceri Jan 3rd 2003 2:54 pm

Originally posted by andie
im comparing it to blackpool, have you seen the rubbish there.
Can't say I have ... thank gawd, I've never been to Blackpool or wanted to, sorry :D, but no thanks... it sends a shiver down my spine.

But Rubbish here lots of it... I personally got a run off creek in the Brisbane river fenced off here because of the dumping... Long story, but the council put a barrier up to stop the cars dumping household goods. It was a quiet place, bush, and a creek... everytinme I went there there was a fridge or something new dumped... I complained... up in arms because this creek is a breeding ground, the council fenced the road off so the cars dumping could no longer do so... big gripe of mine here, the rubbish next to the water.

cheers:)

magnetman Jan 3rd 2003 3:29 pm

Never been to Perth but friends emigrated there 5 or 6 years ago and absolutely love it. I have heard the comment more than once though that the geographical isolation can get to you, its a plane ride to everywhere. Am happy enough to be going to Brisbane and knowing that you can actually drive to another city if you are prepared to (can't be any worse than getting to France from the NE)

cheers

eRnie Jan 3rd 2003 4:08 pm

Ceri : of course I have only seen it for a few weeks every other year so yeah I might not have seen some of what goes on there, all I can say is when I was there I never saw any rubbish along the streets or on the beach.... I saw some run down areas on the way to Brisbane on the train, but in the city no rubbish, no graffitti, in my book thats one clean place !

plumber39 Jan 3rd 2003 4:19 pm

sully4441 ,
Would that be Bournvlle,Birmingham? I served part of my apprenticeship at Bournville,Cadburys,early 80,s

plumber39 Jan 3rd 2003 5:00 pm

You know when people call it a small world,well why we were in perth took the kids go karting,some industrial estate near centre of perth.Guess what Charlotte (my daughter)noticed an old school friend standing by the till,while we were buying the tickets.They had moved to perth 2 years previous,the girls mother invited us over to their house for the day,we were off to sidney the next day but arranged a visit for when we returned which would be last week of our holiday.Well when we returned kept to our word,they lived in place called MAIDA VALE east side of perth.Drove down this road of what I can only describe as mansions,said to the wife this can,t be it,but as we got closer to the house number found it was! We were welcomed in showed round the house,beautiful,marble floors everywhere,i don,t think they knew how many rooms they had.we sat down by their outside pool drinking iced coffee watch the kids,even had parots in the trees, makes you sick does,nt it,Iknow it does me.

plumber39 Jan 3rd 2003 8:43 pm

Would like to know what peoples thoughts are on Gold coast /Sun shine coast and Brisbane?