Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth Education Help

Perth Education Help

Old Oct 1st 2006, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

jamesegrant is a jewel in the roughjamesegrant is a jewel in the roughjamesegrant is a jewel in the roughjamesegrant is a jewel in the roughjamesegrant is a jewel in the rough
Default Perth Education Help

Hi

I have an offer to move to Perth on a 457 4 year visa and am hoping to move in Jan/Feb 07.

My wife and I are currently doing the analysis of the pros and cons etc and one of the main concerns relates to the reality of quality of the education and how our kids might fit in when we return back to Scotland in 4 years time.

The kids have just started P1 and P7 in Scotland and we think they would be in the same years in Feb 07 in Perth so would just redo a few months work from Scotland.

We have heard some horror stories secondhand of people who returned to Scotland and then their kids went back a year when they started school again

We are looking at the Western Suburbs and most of the public schools look pretty good so maybe we are worrying unnecessarily

Any view or experiences welcome

Many thanks

James
Old Oct 1st 2006, 7:34 pm
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Perth Education Help

Yes I think you are worrying unnecessarily. There are plenty of good schools in Perth and Australia.

Also the experience of living in Australia would be a great experience/education for your kids.

Plus I don't think you should put your life on hold for your children. Otherwise when they've grown up. left home and you've retired you just might think .. why didnt we ...
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth Education Help

Originally Posted by jamesegrant
Hi

I have an offer to move to Perth on a 457 4 year visa and am hoping to move in Jan/Feb 07.

My wife and I are currently doing the analysis of the pros and cons etc and one of the main concerns relates to the reality of quality of the education and how our kids might fit in when we return back to Scotland in 4 years time.

The kids have just started P1 and P7 in Scotland and we think they would be in the same years in Feb 07 in Perth so would just redo a few months work from Scotland.

We have heard some horror stories secondhand of people who returned to Scotland and then their kids went back a year when they started school again

We are looking at the Western Suburbs and most of the public schools look pretty good so maybe we are worrying unnecessarily

Any view or experiences welcome

Many thanks

James
You should have some concerns but I agree with the other poster about not putting your life on hold.

The solution is to gt hold of the National Curriculum documents (or Scottish equivalent) and teach them yourself (in addition to normal schooling) to maintain where they "should" be. At P! and P1 it won't be rocket science.

The other side of the coin is that they will probably become much more social, outgoing children in Perth then they ever would in the UK.