Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth From Dullsville to More Vibrant City

Perth From Dullsville to More Vibrant City

Old Mar 7th 2018, 11:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth From Dullsville to More Vibrant City

Originally Posted by Beoz
I was in Leederville a few weeks to take a client to lunch. Seemed like a pleasant place, one stop from the city, plenty of restaurants, but the place was dead. It was all geared up but no action.

It needed some vibrancy to fill all those restaurants. It needed population growth.
Leederville is pleasant. There are few if any places in Perth I would prefer to live but it could certainly do with more vibe. The area does require more growth which in coming with greater density included, which is the way forward. I think we could do with more ethnic diversity within the eating scene for a start. Hipster cafes further up Oxford Street don't necessary meet such criteria. A little samey for my liking but I do eat out a lot. This may not be such an issue for the casual diner that comes infrequently from the suburbs.

Entirely agree Leederville could do with more a vibe. Not exactly something Perth is well known for in spades.

The area needs to be extended. The entirety of Oxford Street should be humming. A wider range of offerings but of course they need the business. A great Italian place just a minute from me. heaves most every night and some four/five minutes from the main concentrated centre. It can be done with the right product.

Last edited by the troubadour; Mar 7th 2018 at 11:26 pm.
Old Mar 7th 2018, 11:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Wonderful. Another decent thread ruined by the same shit being spouted by the same asshole. It's not a wonder the Australian forum is pretty much dead. Childish bullies with nothing better to say than name calling.
Not to worry. Will endeavour to take it back on track. <snip>

Last edited by moneypenny20; Mar 7th 2018 at 11:41 pm. Reason: You seem to think she was referring to someone else alone. Stop with this nonsense.
Old Mar 19th 2018, 6:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The St Patrick's Day Parade and following festival went off well on Saturday. It was great weather. More typical of an Irish summer. Cloudy and even a spot of rain to add a touch of home to many there.

The Parade appeared bigger than previous years, although was away for last years. Most the accents appeared to be Irish though. Shame more Australians not present, although it does compete with many other events around the traps celebrating the day.

The pubs in the area done a roaring trade with $9 at The Garden, not too bad, and big queues outside the Irish pub across the road, Fibber Macgees.
Old Mar 19th 2018, 1:39 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
The St Patrick's Day Parade and following festival went off well on Saturday. It was great weather. More typical of an Irish summer. Cloudy and even a spot of rain to add a touch of home to many there.

The Parade appeared bigger than previous years, although was away for last years. Most the accents appeared to be Irish though. Shame more Australians not present, although it does compete with many other events around the traps celebrating the day.

The pubs in the area done a roaring trade with $9 at The Garden, not too bad, and big queues outside the Irish pub across the road, Fibber Macgees.
Why were there numerous St Patrick's Day events? (completely pointless imo unless you're in Ireland) I have issues (weird things bother me) with St Patrick's Day as a thing anyway, why do rational people without a gram of Irish blood in them think it's a good idea to wear green and attempt an Irish accent? It doesn't happen with any other 'Day' and it really needs to stop.

Button pushed, rant over. I'll calm down and forget about it for about 360 days and then I'll moan again.
Old Mar 20th 2018, 12:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Why were there numerous St Patrick's Day events? (completely pointless imo unless you're in Ireland) I have issues (weird things bother me) with St Patrick's Day as a thing anyway, why do rational people without a gram of Irish blood in them think it's a good idea to wear green and attempt an Irish accent? It doesn't happen with any other 'Day' and it really needs to stop.

Button pushed, rant over. I'll calm down and forget about it for about 360 days and then I'll moan again.

Perhaps it is the pointless of it all that makes it a success? There much a sense of pointless to much of modern life but colourless as well to accompany that. St Patricks Day has been a marvel in marketing and promoted the 'sense of Irishness ' and Irish for a day,around the globe.

Adds colour and life to my area for one day a year, so fully endorse that. But thing I like is other worldliness, be that Chinese New Year, Deevali, The Hindu Festival of Light, even Munich Beer Fest for celebrating things Bavarian.....Here in Australia a break from the daily humdrum insularity and feelings of being remote from the world are additional reasons to celebrate such events and this particular event more so if Irish, and there were plenty of Irish present on Saturday.
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 12:28 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Last time I was there, it was difficult looking for a cafe to have a breakfast or coffee during Australia Day public holiday and Sunday.
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 9:32 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commonwealth
Last time I was there, it was difficult looking for a cafe to have a breakfast or coffee during Australia Day public holiday and Sunday.
I was just saying that to the guy who owns the coffee shop I go to. Even Saturdays in the city it's difficult to find coffee or breakfast unless it's someplace like Dome or Coffee Club.
Old Mar 28th 2018, 4:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The new City Link has a few offerings. Possibly Mt Lawley or Leederville would serve better on such occasions?

Just read today, that there has been a big fall in Eastern States tourists coming over to Perth. I suspect that was a result of the costs being more than other cities.
Not only that but only state was WA that declined in international tourists.

We over in The West appear to seriously have a brand in need of a make over to reverse the negativity.
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 1:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Was at Cottesloe Beach yesterday(Easter Monday) and the weather was near perfect. The beach as well. Quite a turn out as well, even if a large number were perhaps tourists or short stay workers. Besides English accents, Italian was rather common on the ground as well. Nice to see our beaches becoming more multi cultural as well.
Another 31 today, but don't expect the crowds of yesterday. But will venture down later, hopefully like yesterday, no wind sets in, which makes the beach uncomfortable and rather common in Perth, often late morning.
Old Apr 15th 2018, 10:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'm afraid vibrancy on hold at the moment. A walk down Perth's 'blue chip' Kings Street will witness several empty shops. Even a café a long frequented has closed its doors, although a replacement has been found. High rents and less business largely responsible.
Old Apr 28th 2018, 1:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Parking the car near the Brisbane Hotel, just off Beaufort Street, close to the centre, last Saturday night, then walking from that point just as it was getting dark, really brought home the 'dire' situation in Perth. That area all the way down to The City, was almost only 'homeless people' around. WE passed three folk, entering a business premises property as the gate appeared to have been left unlocked. One looked the worse for wear, then a few minutes on a large group of several people, congregated at a bus stop, some also the worse for wear, all I suppose you could say the victims of poverty, then further on in a park, not far from the Cultural Centre were many homeless folk, I believe, judging my the number, waiting for the soup kitchen to arrive get a feed.

More akin to poor South American/African countries than an advanced first world nation. A further sign of the 'down turn?
Or just generally people becoming more marginalised within society?

I can't say I noticed much vitality in Perth Central for a Saturday night either. Take away our Asian visitors and very little. Ok rain was forecast and did in time arrive. WE attended The Greek Festival, located down at the newish Elisabeth Quay, which was well patronised. Shame it got washed out after a few hours. I doubt it would have repeated the following the day as was the plan. I shame for the singers and performers and stall holders, that came from Brisbane, Sydney and Adelaide for the event.

Last edited by the troubadour; Apr 28th 2018 at 1:42 am.