British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Perth From Dullsville to More Vibrant City (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/perth-dullsville-more-vibrant-city-908737/)

the troubadour Feb 3rd 2018 7:18 am

Perth From Dullsville to More Vibrant City

Thought I'd do another thread on the changing nature of Perth as the former one was somewhat over run with of topic static.

I'll have more to say about the subject at a later date.

Just to kick start the topic,' La Boheme ', is being presented tonight at 8 pm in the CBD by the river. Admittance is free, and for opera lovers a true highlight.

Anyone experienced anything resembling a Bohemian lifestyle?

carcajou Feb 3rd 2018 11:05 am

Re: Perth From Dullsville to More Vibrant City

As you know, I live in Country WA, so I do not live a Bohemian lifestyle.

But, an observation: the first time I came to Perth was in 2003. It was Dullsville then, and well-deserving of the "Minneapolis Down Under" tag Bill Bryson put on it. It was not bad, but it was not memorable in any way whatsoever.

I didn't come back again until 2014, and I thought in those 11 years, the city had changed dramatically, and for the better. It was a pleasant place with a lot of interesting amenities, and I feel it would be a very, very nice place to live as long as you had a stable job. While I think Perthies can over-sell it, it is still a good place to live, and I'd rather be there than Sydney or Melbourne.

the troubadour Feb 3rd 2018 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by carcajou (Post 12433769)
As you know, I live in Country WA, so I do not live a Bohemian lifestyle.

But, an observation: the first time I came to Perth was in 2003. It was Dullsville then, and well-deserving of the "Minneapolis Down Under" tag Bill Bryson put on it. It was not bad, but it was not memorable in any way whatsoever.

I didn't come back again until 2014, and I thought in those 11 years, the city had changed dramatically, and for the better. It was a pleasant place with a lot of interesting amenities, and I feel it would be a very, very nice place to live as long as you had a stable job. While I think Perthies can over-sell it, it is still a good place to live, and I'd rather be there than Sydney or Melbourne.

Well no I didn't know you lived in country WA.I guess I thought you were away with work in rural regions....But no certainly no bohemian lifestyle evident with that criteria, although I guess other aspects of rural living compensate in other aspects......

I certainly wouldn't say Perth fulfils the requirements for a bohemian lifestyle either come to that, nor Australia in general. In fact an ever falling number of cities would be likely candidates these days with the prevailing economic climate in most places unfavourable to any form of alternative or non mainstream lifestyle.

Anyway back to Perth. The term Dullsville, came to public attention from a front page article in the ' West Australian' newspaper back in about 2003.

Not before time IMO as there was a hell of a lot of navel gazing and inward looking thinking, parochial to the core, a general unwillingness to accept any criticism, so article was very apt for the time.

An 'expert' was brought over from London to throw some enlightenment on how Perth could better function and things took of from there.

It just shows though attempting to reach a solution first requires to admitting there was a problem to begin with.

GarryP Feb 3rd 2018 11:49 pm

Question

What amenities make any city/town vibrant?

In general, nowadays, councils tend to force new estates to add green space and community areas, including for community sports. They get some usage, maybe 50 people at a time at the weekend, for a catchment of thousands.

There are theatres, even in Perf, but when was the last time your went to a theatre? Maybe once a year, particular since the pricing is going on for $100 a ticket, even in the regions.

Sport centres and pools seem to get some use, but still not great considering the catchment areas. Hundreds at a time for a catchment of a hundred of thousand.

Pubs and clubs tend to pick the younger crowds at a weekend, and a street of such can have a 'vibrant nightlife'. However right wing councils particularly seem to want to close them down and lock them out.

Restaurants serve a similar role for the older set, but they aren't really 'vibrant' on the whole.

Shops and Malls do not a vibrant community make.

I think the point is that without local destinations where you want to go of an evening, at least once a week, and can afford to, it's never really going to feel particularly vibrant - and most places really don't have that. In the parlance, there's a need for a collection of different '3rd places' where you can walk to, and just walk in to find things of interest happening.

In short, something like a country pub, but without the focus being on alcohol necessarily.

On top you need more 'major' destination, with good public transport, but without high prices and long ticket waits.

Thoughts?

the troubadour Feb 4th 2018 3:25 am

Originally Posted by GarryP (Post 12434202)
Question

What amenities make any city/town vibrant?

In general, nowadays, councils tend to force new estates to add green space and community areas, including for community sports. They get some usage, maybe 50 people at a time at the weekend, for a catchment of thousands.

There are theatres, even in Perf, but when was the last time your went to a theatre? Maybe once a year, particular since the pricing is going on for $100 a ticket, even in the regions.

Sport centres and pools seem to get some use, but still not great considering the catchment areas. Hundreds at a time for a catchment of a hundred of thousand.

Pubs and clubs tend to pick the younger crowds at a weekend, and a street of such can have a 'vibrant nightlife'. However right wing councils particularly seem to want to close them down and lock them out.

Restaurants serve a similar role for the older set, but they aren't really 'vibrant' on the whole.

Shops and Malls do not a vibrant community make.

I think the point is that without local destinations where you want to go of an evening, at least once a week, and can afford to, it's never really going to feel particularly vibrant - and most places really don't have that. In the parlance, there's a need for a collection of different '3rd places' where you can walk to, and just walk in to find things of interest happening.

In short, something like a country pub, but without the focus being on alcohol necessarily.

On top you need more 'major' destination, with good public transport, but without high prices and long ticket waits.

Thoughts?

More density would be an obvious answer. Australian cities with their sprawling character simply do not give in to vibrancy on a scale more familiar with most the rest of the world.

There are pockets in the main cities, but far too auto orientated in the main to be called vibrant cities to any degree.

Perth being more auto focused than most the above is even more true. I think Perth is attempting to create pockets of vitality that already exist in Melbourne and Sydney, in a way catch up, as it is unlikely will ever be a vibrant city on world scale measurement.

Of course the density increase needs to be sensibly done, not just the building of apartment blocks , often with maximum profit in mind and not really where most people would care to live.

The problems facing having a reliable and efficient public transport system to compete on European levels will probably never happen in a place like Perth.

We are too sparse and sprawling but creative city planning can certainly improve on the situation we found ourselves in over the past fifty plus years, to which minds have been at work to improve on past mistakes and create a more desirable urban setting.

the troubadour Feb 4th 2018 3:34 am

La Boheme , was well performed last night. Lovely night for the event. The organisers claimed some 15,000 people watching. I am not sure if they included those watching from the regions where it had extensive coverage. From Albany, to Esperance, Kalgoorlie, Bunbury, to Geraldton and up to Carnarvon and Port Hedland and further to Broome.

It didn't finish until about 10.25. Of course in Italian with big screen English translations.

Walking through Central Perth at 10.50 though we both commented on Hay Street Mall, with only three people visible the length of it.
Thankfully more life on Murray Street around the fast food joints and Underground Station. Not quite the vibrancy levels one may expect for a lovely Saturday night in February perhaps?

Beoz Feb 4th 2018 7:08 am

Originally Posted by the troubadour (Post 12434273)
More density would be an obvious answer. Australian cities with their sprawling character simply do not give in to vibrancy on a scale more familiar with most the rest of the world.

There are pockets in the main cities, but far too auto orientated in the main to be called vibrant cities to any degree.

Perth being more auto focused than most the above is even more true. I think Perth is attempting to create pockets of vitality that already exist in Melbourne and Sydney, in a way catch up, as it is unlikely will ever be a vibrant city on world scale measurement.

Of course the density increase needs to be sensibly done, not just the building of apartment blocks , often with maximum profit in mind and not really where most people would care to live.

The problems facing having a reliable and efficient public transport system to compete on European levels will probably never happen in a place like Perth.

We are too sparse and sprawling but creative city planning can certainly improve on the situation we found ourselves in over the past fifty plus years, to which minds have been at work to improve on past mistakes and create a more desirable urban setting.

Population density seems to be the common theme with vibrancy.

Some interesting stats on density here.

http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/[email protected]/Latestproducts/1270.0.55.007Main%20Features12011?opendocument&tab name=Summary&prodno=1270.0.55.007&issue=2011&num=& view=

Agree density is good if done well. Lack of density is also very dull which for many suits too.

the troubadour Feb 4th 2018 8:13 am

Later this month Yagon Square , a part of the new City Link development is due to open.
The Link will reconnect the entertainment precent Northbridge with the CBD. Big things are hopes for. Perth's probably last chance to really altar the face of the city and dramatically increase vibrancy to a level a city of two million. could reasonably expect.

I'll write more about features of The Link as they reveal and open up for business.

I'm afraid Elizabeth Quay has not for now lived up to expectations, IMO. although still a work in progress.

I do enjoy the vista coming by ferry from South Perth to the Quay terminal though. I expect the end result will be rather pricy food places and so forth. Still a nice place to sit and 'eat the wind' as they say in Malay to pass time conversing.

I noticed yesterday, one bedroom apartments in the Hotel/apartment construction are advertised from $ 700,000 + (forget actual figure, but could have been $760,000?)

For now I still do not find dining 'easy' in the city. If I want more than the usual fare, find it better elsewhere.

Hopefully this will change.

the troubadour Feb 9th 2018 8:18 am

South Perth tried out a driverless bus a few days ago. Such forms of transport appears to have majority approval from residents here. Pretty cool I thought.

One thought though are most the present drivers on 457's? Or migrants. The majority on my Number 15 route, Leederville to City hail from The Sub Continent. Not so cool for those chappies ,I guess.

the troubadour Feb 17th 2018 7:25 am

Leederville (inner city) main street closed tomorrow for a day of festivities. Also tomorrow in Northbridge, James Street and surrounding, is the Lunar New Year celebrations, or Chinese New Year. A crowd of up to 70,000 is anticipated, with a parade around midday and dance and music celebrations starting after 5pm.

It is of course to usher in The Year of the Dog.

the troubadour Feb 17th 2018 11:44 pm

There appears a lack of Perthites on this forum to further comment on the vibrancy matter.

I'm afraid, after being out and about a lot the past few weeks, feel a definite downturn in vibrancy. Perhaps people are just curtailing spending habits, but find less in restaurants and cafes, be it Fremantle or Leederville than last summer. Or is it just my perception?
Hopefully City Link may open up things. People certainly need more encouragement to come into their city centre.

Anyway, off to Chinese New Year. A lovely cloudy day, but warm, with a touch of humidity. The joys of living in an increasingly multi cultural society. Much better than a mono cultural one IMO.

Interesting which city claims to have the largest Chinese Lunar Celebration outside of Asia. London claims the title (must have really moved on from my years of living there) but so does Sydney as well as San Francisco (which has the oldest China Town) and New York.
I imagine Vancouver must be very close with Toronto not too far behind.....

carcajou Feb 18th 2018 12:10 am

I was only in Perth once or twice this summer, so can't comment, but the bustling country towns I know, all have declined the past few weeks - I attribute it to school starting again and people wrapping up their holidays.

the troubadour Feb 18th 2018 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by carcajou (Post 12444615)
I was only in Perth once or twice this summer, so can't comment, but the bustling country towns I know, all have declined the past few weeks - I attribute it to school starting again and people wrapping up their holidays.

Yes country regions would be quieter due to that. I can't really explain the reason for it being so in Perth though.

Less tourism for sure. The push is on to get daily flights from China and capture more than the 3% of the Chinese tourists that presently visit this state of the total that come to Australia.

The other big hope is to dramatically boost the number of Chinese students studying in Perth as well. Boosts the housing market as well of course.

A do notice plenty of discount lunch menu's around town, a clear indication, business is poor. I suspect people feel less affluent in recent times, regardless of how much they attempt to talk up the economy. Not bad thing, of course, if can wane people of credit cards a bit, and reduce personal debt.

Amazulu Feb 20th 2018 4:08 am

Originally Posted by the troubadour (Post 12444608)
There appears a lack of Perthites on this forum to further comment on the vibrancy matter.

I'm afraid, after being out and about a lot the past few weeks, feel a definite downturn in vibrancy. Perhaps people are just curtailing spending habits, but find less in restaurants and cafes, be it Fremantle or Leederville than last summer. Or is it just my perception?
Hopefully City Link may open up things. People certainly need more encouragement to come into their city centre.

I don't know where this comes from - must have had your eyes close as usual. So yes, just your perception. Our son was at army cadet camp this weekend so we stayed in the city on Saturday night - ate, drank, went to some Perth Fringe shows. Perth CBD and Northbridge were both rammed and were pumping. There was a real buzz around and it was a great atmosphere. Plenty of backpackers about - lots of young people with Irish, German, French, Scandi accents playing and working in multiple establishments. Most bars and restaurants were packed (we spent a bit of time in the Flour Factory and it was heaving). Hard to get a table. I know you hate the fact, but things are picking up. I managed to book a room okay (at the Alex) but it certainly wasn't cheap. Last year, we stayed at the Hilton for under $110 for 2 including breakfast. This year, they wanted closer to $200

Behind the times (in attitude and reality) as usual Herman

the troubadour Feb 20th 2018 6:32 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 12446239)
I don't know where this comes from - must have had your eyes close as usual. So yes, just your perception. Our son was at army cadet camp this weekend so we stayed in the city on Saturday night - ate, drank, went to some Perth Fringe shows. Perth CBD and Northbridge were both rammed and were pumping. There was a real buzz around and it was a great atmosphere. Plenty of backpackers about - lots of young people with Irish, German, French, Scandi accents playing and working in multiple establishments. Most bars and restaurants were packed (we spent a bit of time in the Flour Factory and it was heaving). Hard to get a table. I know you hate the fact, but things are picking up. I managed to book a room okay (at the Alex) but it certainly wasn't cheap. Last year, we stayed at the Hilton for under $110 for 2 including breakfast. This year, they wanted closer to $200

Behind the times (in attitude and reality) as usual Herman

Cough, cough. Saturday night. Listen life revolves around more than a single night. Put it this way, if Friday and Saturday night are not pumping at these times, especially during The Fringe, (a bit ordinary this year)

As I live inner city I think I am more verse to judge just what is happening out there. Try during the week. Try out of Fringe time. Anything to do with hospitality prices are over priced in Country WA. Reason I declined an offer to vacate Down South this Easter. Don't need to bother myself with inner city hotels, but will take your word.

Economy still got a considerable way to pick up. Anyway Jarp, scared you'd come down with some maladie, so glad your back in form,being absent from the threads for so long. Your little pal could do with some back up .... even if only a feed of peanuts......all helps though..