Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth: don't go!

Perth: don't go!

Old Jul 13th 2004, 7:09 am
Now 15% less offensive

NedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Really interesting

Originally posted by sicilyman
Oh wow!! Keep on the sunglasses pal or you may see things you may not want to see. By the way I am English and not "kraut "..a great terminology to use I have to say. You are not related to Basil Fawlty I suppose...there again John Cleese was only using Fawlty Towers to show the stupidity of those who still call Germans "krauts".

At least the Germans can get up at 5.30am!
Your analysis of Faulty Towers leaves a lot to be desired.
Old Jul 13th 2004, 7:50 am
wombat42

Default Re: Perth: don't go!

Originally posted by MikeStanton
The Perth bloke who was keeping the stats topped himself....

On a more serious note, here are some sad facts about suicide in Oz:

- more people commit suicide than are killed on the roads

- the suicide rate of 14 per 100,000 people has remained pretty constant since 1921

- for both males and females, there has been a shift in suicide death rates from older to younger age groups

- more Australian men killed themselves in the 1990s than died in the Second World War.
In India there are people who commit suicide every time the national cricket team looses a match. Thank god you British don't take cricket so seriously because with the amount of times your team looses you would be sure to have the highest suicide rate in the world.

Old Jul 13th 2004, 7:54 am
Now 15% less offensive

NedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud of

Originally posted by wombat42
In India there are people who commit suicide every time the national cricket team looses a match. Thank god you British don't take cricket so seriously because with the amount of times your team looses you would be sure to have the highest suicide rate in the world.
Why stop at Cricket? Rugby, Football, Tennis
Old Jul 13th 2004, 8:00 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by wombat42
"The bowlers bowled like men who had met a dementor on the way into the ground and knew that there was no hope left in the world."

Simon Barnes, writing in The Times on England's performance at The Oval
Old Jul 13th 2004, 9:24 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Dunno. Have they left any notes?

Yes I seen one and went like this:

Dear family members

I have decided to end my life after becoming addicted to a forum called British expats, lifestyle and culture.

I happened to come across some real negative people called the Kong Man The Mutant and MikeStanton and they made my life a misery. They destroyed my dream of migrating to Australia because everything they wrote they informed me was true. You know about all the bad things that await us when we arrive in Australia.

I tried to explain that I had been there on a recci and have family and friends there but alas it all fell on deaf ears. But they were so relentless I believed them.

They didn't seem to understand me when I tried to explain life was about decisions, choice and risk and 2 full years of weighing up the pros and cons of migrating. All they seemed to care about was their selfish attitude saying "been there, done that got the tee shirt and it's crap".

I have to admit thou, I had a fondness for the Kong Man but he seems to have disapeared these past few days. I even voted for him in a recent poll.

So it's with these sad words I have to leave......................... on a plane to Autralia!!

On a more serious note does anyone have stats for suicides in Perth? Are they higher than readers of the afore mentioned posters?

Walla
Old Jul 13th 2004, 11:03 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by NedKelly63
Why stop at Cricket? Rugby, Football, Tennis
Jeez, I see what you mean : if the Aussies lost at these games, the only sound you would hear in Oz is...nothing. All dead, except for those Aussies going for trauma counselling...
Old Jul 13th 2004, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by walla1
Yes I seen one and went like this:

Dear family members

I have decided to end my life after becoming addicted to a forum called British expats, lifestyle and culture.

I happened to come across some real negative people called the Kong Man The Mutant and MikeStanton and they made my life a misery. They destroyed my dream of migrating to Australia because everything they wrote they informed me was true. You know about all the bad things that await us when we arrive in Australia.

I tried to explain that I had been there on a recci and have family and friends there but alas it all fell on deaf ears. But they were so relentless I believed them.

They didn't seem to understand me when I tried to explain life was about decisions, choice and risk and 2 full years of weighing up the pros and cons of migrating. All they seemed to care about was their selfish attitude saying "been there, done that got the tee shirt and it's crap".

I have to admit thou, I had a fondness for the Kong Man but he seems to have disapeared these past few days. I even voted for him in a recent poll.

So it's with these sad words I have to leave......................... on a plane to Autralia!!

On a more serious note does anyone have stats for suicides in Perth? Are they higher than readers of the afore mentioned posters?

Walla
Sorry to deflate your self-importance walla1, but my posts aren't specifically aimed at you. And (yawn), because we criticise Oz that doesn't make us negative. Au contraire, we are positively delighted to be back in UK.

On your query re:suicide stats, I don't think there are published stats on a city by city basis (and even if there were, it may vary greatly by suburb). Issues such as unemployment levels, relationship breakdowns, lack of job opportunities have the greatest bearing. Because of that, I think you'll find suicide rates among indigenous people very high - which may skew the stats when comparing, say, with the UK.

My guess is that amongst UK immigrants, the suicide rate in Perth is not significantly higher than any other other city!
Old Jul 13th 2004, 11:25 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Jeez, I see what you mean : if the Aussies lost at these games, the only sound you would hear in Oz is...nothing. All dead, except for those Aussies going for trauma counselling...
Yer Bloody Raven
Old Jul 13th 2004, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Innyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud of

Sorry to deflate your self-importance walla1, but my posts aren't specifically aimed at you. And (yawn), because we criticise Oz that doesn't make us negative. Au contraire, we are positively delighted to be back in UK.
Pretentious ? Moi ??!!
Old Jul 13th 2004, 12:24 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

Originally posted by SteveBannister
WHO GIVES A *****!!

This is one guys opinion! What's the point of all the arguing?

This site has really gone done the toilet lately, it's just a load of bickering, back-stabbing nonesense.

It's about time a few people grew up!

Now, children, off to bed. It's grown up's time! :lecture:
Steve...calm down mate.

There's always been bickering/banter/nonsense, whatever you want to call it, on this site. I seem to remember you (and I've done my share) having a go before now. Chill.
Old Jul 13th 2004, 12:26 pm
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by chippy
Steve...calm down mate.

There's always been bickering/banter/nonsense, whatever you want to call it, on this site. I seem to remember you (and I've done my share) having a go before now. Chill.

lol...I have never bickered! I may have debated 'till I was blue in the face, but I have never bickered!

Old Jul 13th 2004, 12:40 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

lol...I have never bickered! I may have debated 'till I was blue in the face, but I have never bickered!

Ha Ha. No maybe not 'bickered'. Sounds a bit bitchy I suppose.

Debated. Yes that's what I do. Always civilised, respectful and calm old boy. Got to keep the riff raff on their toes you know. Tally ho what what.
Old Jul 13th 2004, 12:48 pm
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by chippy
Ha Ha. No maybe not 'bickered'. Sounds a bit bitchy I suppose.

Debated. Yes that's what I do. Always civilised, respectful and calm old boy. Got to keep the riff raff on their toes you know. Tally ho what what.

Too right old bean!

How are you anyway, (This thread has deviated enough, a little more won't hurt it!)

Still got a 13mm flat wood bit in one hand and a beer in the other?
Old Jul 13th 2004, 12:57 pm
I'm lovin' it

Too right old bean!

How are you anyway, (This thread has deviated enough, a little more won't hurt it!)

Still got a 13mm flat wood bit in one hand and a beer in the other?
Defo got the beer. Slurp. Wood bit? Slurp. What's that then cocker? I'm a lazy barsteward you see. Haven't worked since I got 'ere. Slurp. Burp.

But the truth is I'm STILL waiting for me tools (been 3 months now!), plus I'm having a bit of a rest.
Old Jul 13th 2004, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

dazandreb has a spectacular aura aboutdazandreb has a spectacular aura aboutdazandreb has a spectacular aura about

Cheap Housing in my eyes is a BIG plus,you got to remember most people reading this forum will be emmigrating from the uk,not for a holiday,but for life.so who wants hustle and bustle of the big cities and when coming from the uk anywhere in Australia is nice. I agree and it has been said Perth is a long way to go for a Holiday but is nice,but it is a great place to live,there is a damn sight more to do in Perth than there is in Bradford,UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.