Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth desalination plant officially opened

Perth desalination plant officially opened

Old Nov 19th 2006, 11:16 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Perth desalination plant officially opened

Pressure on Perth's water supply has been eased with the official opening of a $387 million desalination plant.

Some 17 per cent of Perth's drinking water will now be sourced from the Indian Ocean.

Western Australian Premier Alan Carpenter has announced Australia's first large-scale seawater desalination plant is operational - delivering water into the public supply system.

Mr Carpenter says the plant will produce the equivalent of an Olympic-size swimming pool, full of pure, clean water every 25 minutes.

He says it means the state is no longer solely dependent on rainfall.
ABC.

Bloody oath, I am happy about this.

More desalination plants, please! The states should be cranking these things out as fast as they can.
Old Nov 19th 2006, 12:03 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Perth desalination plant officially opened

Huzzah... at last WA's can use their sprinklers and have green grass. Life will surely be better.

Last edited by iPom; Nov 19th 2006 at 12:06 pm.
Old Nov 19th 2006, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

Will it reach the poor people (farmers) in rural SW? Not quick enough for some of them that's for sure

Great news for future though
Old Nov 19th 2006, 2:25 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Perth desalination plant officially opened

Originally Posted by The Jones Family
Will it reach the poor people (farmers) in rural SW? Not quick enough for some of them that's for sure

Great news for future though
Still, you have to start somewhere - and this is a bloody good start. At least it will ease pressure on the suburbs, which is where most of the water is used.
Old Nov 19th 2006, 9:28 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Still, you have to start somewhere - and this is a bloody good start. At least it will ease pressure on the suburbs, which is where most of the water is used.
It will but the long term environmental impact of these plants truly worries me, as so far, no reasonable method of getting rid of the 'super salt' has been found... Where's it all going to go?
It's the nuclear waste of the future.

I firmly believe that there has to be better ways of conserving water... but people are intrinsically selfish and won't think of cutting short their showers for the sake of it...
The desalination prog is great, but imo, it's a sticking plaster which has implications... As someone said in an article I recently read, it's like taking an aspirin for a headache... What are the long term effects?
Old Nov 20th 2006, 2:04 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
It will but the long term environmental impact of these plants truly worries me, as so far, no reasonable method of getting rid of the 'super salt' has been found... Where's it all going to go?
It's the nuclear waste of the future.

I firmly believe that there has to be better ways of conserving water... but people are intrinsically selfish and won't think of cutting short their showers for the sake of it...
The desalination prog is great, but imo, it's a sticking plaster which has implications... As someone said in an article I recently read, it's like taking an aspirin for a headache... What are the long term effects?
The problem is Water is too cheap here, if they trebled the price of it we might start to see an impact on peoples usage levels.
We worked out last year what it would cost to empty and refill our swimming pool. cant remember the exact numbers but for something like a 70,000 litre pool it was a crazy figure like $65.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 2:11 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by steve99
The problem is Water is too cheap here, if they trebled the price of it we might start to see an impact on peoples usage levels.
We worked out last year what it would cost to empty and refill our swimming pool. cant remember the exact numbers but for something like a 70,000 litre pool it was a crazy figure like $65.

It is too cheap... And people don't think when they use it. If people had a timer on their shower or they turned it off whilst they lathered up their hair, they'd save a huge amount. It's ridiculous people can stand under a shower for 20 minutes... What the hell are they doing in there? (No, don't answer that! ) Get wet, soap on, soap off.... Takes me 3 minutes in total....
Bloody ridiculous.
$65 for your swimming pool! That's very cheap. You'd think more about it if it was double that I guess....
Old Nov 20th 2006, 2:19 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

: Get wet, soap on, soap off.... Takes me 3 minutes in total....
Bloody ridiculous.
Me too, and I manage to get a quick one off the wrist in that time too
Old Nov 20th 2006, 2:26 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
spits tea on screen nearly choking
Old Nov 20th 2006, 2:27 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hahahahahahahahahahahahah!!

You're going to be banned!!
Old Nov 20th 2006, 2:39 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

You have some serious stamina issues
Old Nov 20th 2006, 3:00 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by steve99
You have some serious stamina issues

ROFLMAO.

Shurely he's talking about cricket!
Old Nov 20th 2006, 3:02 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by northernbird
spits tea on screen nearly choking
Your screen must take some cleaning, nb.

I just filled my pool up and it cost me nothing. It's a family blow up thing and we filled it from the water tank. I imagine it won't last very long if we start getting hot embers. The fire guys can drain it if we end up in trouble.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 3:07 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

It's a family blow up thing and we filled it from the water tank.
After the little kids get out does it contain more "water" than it did before they got in?
Old Nov 20th 2006, 3:09 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

After the little kids get out does it contain more "water" than it did before they got in?
you are on form today mate

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.